Billy Incardona is Hall of Fame worthy

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think of Billy and Pool the same way I think of Ali and Cosell! Yep, he definitely should be there!

cincy_kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not take the time to read the whole thread but I wanted to hop in here to show my support for one of the true legends of the game....

One of the best players period for about a decade or so, not to mention all of the great commentating and support he has given and continues to give for the sport.

I can't believe he is not already inducted but he would get my vote and I sure hope it happens!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Firstly I would like to thank everyone that came forth and endorsed my character, it means a lot to me and I'm proud to be associated with so many wonderful people. There were many people that only knew of me and their endorsements made me feel accepted which is comforting. Then there were many people that know me and there endorsements made me feel that what we do in life and how we handle ourselves will come to light and all of you guys made me feel special, I'm humbled and appreciate everyone of you big time.

Like I mentioned in this thread, there are many people that are deserving to be inducted, I am happy to be one of them. I have never promoted myself to be nominated for induction I personally think that being nominated should come natural without having to market yourself, after all self proclaimed promoting is way overrated when it comes down to the pickens. Of course I would like very much to be inducted who wouldn't, I spent much of my life playing pool, doing commentary, and and supporting the game and the players that play it not because of any self serving reason but because it is a passion I have, and still do. If I'm inducted it will be the icing on the cake. And confirmation that my efforts and passion were well received and for that reason I would be humbled and ecstatic. If not I will continue to do all the things that I do in the pool world for as long as my fire burns. I still have the passion to educate, entertain, and support the game, the players that play the game, and the people that enjoy what professional pool has to offer.

Thank you,
Bill Incardona

Pool has been a life-long passion for me as well, since I was 5 years old and *especially* since the first time walking in a pool room at 12. You deserve to be in the HoF, Bill. Hopefully the powers that be will see that and do the right thing.

Fingers crossed for you.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All well and good. As Bob Jewett said, someone has to do a write-up and submit him for candidacy.

Only one person gets in for Meritorious when it comes up, so it’s a tough selection since there are so many that deserve to be in. Unfortunately, this year isnt the year for Meritorious Service. We alternate years. I’d love if we could do a Meritorious every year, but that has its own challenges.

It’s the Veteran Player this year.for

Freddie

Is there a reason why they only induct a couple pf people each year?
Since they got started so late , why not induct 20 or 30 for a few years until they have covered all the no brainers?
Which Mr. Incardona is certainly one of.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I still have the passion to educate, entertain, and support the game, the players that play the game, and the people that enjoy what professional pool has to offer.

Thank you,
Bill Incardona

It would be cool to hear some stories from some of the old timers (in pool years) about guys like Billy, or the likes of people who these types of threads get started about. Simply being thread topic worthy, and multiple pages at that, is like the pool worlds NY Times best seller list. Regardless of HOF or not, that means something in itself.

Heres my quick story, its no barn burner but one I wont forget. Some years ago, maybe 16-18 when the DCC was still at the Executive and was the next best thing to the pool mecca's of way back, the ambience was much different. The action room was not something you had to pay to get into and it all just seemed like the way pool should be, right down to the vendors. I remember Shane playing Keith Bennett with minimal weight at the time and young guys like Billy Thorpe was just kids, little kids. Buck Tooth and his keno board and Fatboy busting his chops in the TAR booth. The one thing that I always think of though, when thinking back to the old DCC is walking in the action room and seeing Billy playing in a white tank top, no idea why but that always stuck. I didnt know who he was at the time and it may not have been big action but watching him play and his interaction with people during the games was enjoyable. I want to say it was against Bobby Pickle but I know thats not right, probably because of the time Bobby was playing with no shirt and maybe with Jason Kirkwood...the gotta drink so many beers during a game or something. Anyway, fast forward over a decade and a half and that memory still sticks, and its still just as enjoyable to watch a match and listen to the commentary as it was watching in person back then. Earl has his antics along with undeniable talent, Efren is a no brainer with his skills and accomplishments and those guys are definite HOF worthy, but guys like Billy who have been around the game since there were only a couple good cuemakers rank right up there.

For what its worth...

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
It would be cool to hear some stories from some of the old timers (in pool years) about guys like Billy, or the likes of people who these types of threads get started about. Simply being thread topic worthy, and multiple pages at that, is like the pool worlds NY Times best seller list. Regardless of HOF or not, that means something in itself.

Heres my quick story, its no barn burner but one I wont forget. Some years ago, maybe 16-18 when the DCC was still at the Executive and was the next best thing to the pool mecca's of way back, the ambience was much different. The action room was not something you had to pay to get into and it all just seemed like the way pool should be, right down to the vendors. I remember Shane playing Keith Bennett with minimal weight at the time and young guys like Billy Thorpe was just kids, little kids. Buck Tooth and his keno board and Fatboy busting his chops in the TAR booth. The one thing that I always think of though, when thinking back to the old DCC is walking in the action room and seeing Billy playing in a white tank top, no idea why but that always stuck. I didnt know who he was at the time and it may not have been big action but watching him play and his interaction with people during the games was enjoyable. I want to say it was against Bobby Pickle but I know thats not right, probably because of the time Bobby was playing with no shirt and maybe with Jason Kirkwood...the gotta drink so many beers during a game or something. Anyway, fast forward over a decade and a half and that memory still sticks, and its still just as enjoyable to watch a match and listen to the commentary as it was watching in person back then. Earl has his antics along with undeniable talent, Efren is a no brainer with his skills and accomplishments and those guys are definite HOF worthy, but guys like Billy who have been around the game since there were only a couple good cuemakers rank right up there.

For what its worth...

Hey STAKE - Start a thread on "old" ( pool years or just year years ) player stories so we don't hijack this thread! :grin-square: I'm guessing it will fill up pretty quick!

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Or a thread that has links to greatest matches Mr. Incardona has commentated? That would be cool also. :grin:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I will occasionally post on here, I don’t follow many of the threads and just got into this one. Should Billy Incardona be in the Hall of Fame? Of course! Who has done as much for so long as Billy. This is a no brainer.

Grady should be in there too. Let’s get Billy in while he is around to enjoy it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check your post #59. You supported Old Fart, calling him "credible". Why would you expect anyone to support you when you constantly take the side of ill mannered trolls? You should know better Lou. After all you are a grown man, I think. :rolleyes:

I was reading a story this morning in the "Washington Post" about Tammie Jo Shults, the pilot of SWA 1380, and one of the things they quoted her as says was this, "“We endeavor to teach our children to be leaders, not lemmings,” she said. “This is especially important when it comes to making the right choice while the crowd is pulling in the other direction.”

I was brought up that way too. In any case, your false generalization not with standing, and as I told BI directly, I don't know him well enough to know one way or the other.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Bill, I am not excluded from being morally attacked, in this thread, here on AZ, or back on onepocket.org.

Where were you when all that was going on? You have known me on the internet for at least 15 years. You know how old I am, lol. And yet you’ve sat back when I’ve been attacked, even in this thread. And while you may not have liked or agreed with my opinion, you knew I spoke from the heart and took care with my facts. You know I sometimes take the minority view and will defend it because I am not adverse to a good debate. But that has never warranted the attacks that have come my way and you have never said a word in my defense and that's fine. But now you want some sort of benediction from me, when you were nowhere to be found while you watched me being repeatedly mugged online? It continues but why bother.

Sounds like someone has a persecution complex. Victimology is alive and well.

And your claim that by suggesting you like to "chum the waters" was an attack? Yikes! This from a guy who chose to defend some creep with no name who has directed a truly vicious attack toward Billy. You claim to not be taking sides by claiming "He sounds like he is credible" and therefore you wish to keep an "open mind to the possibility" I don't buy it at all. You clearly took sides, and that makes you fair game simply because by providing an air of credibility to this..whatever..you have turned your back on all those who provided their testimony to Billy's defense. You also have denied the years of commonly known evidence which has been Billy's history within and without the pool community.
It's one thing to keep an open mind. It is another thing to offer credibility to an unsupported allegation from an unknown over that of testimony after testimony from people who have been in the pool community and have known Billy for decades.

As I said before. Your bias is evident.
Jay is right, you should be ashamed.
And you should be called out on it.

Tom

20 years on the internet and I have been attacked more than once by anonymous trolls. My solution is to either put that individual on Ignore or, in particularly egregious situations, take it up privately with the administrators.

As to your false allegation about chumming the waters, no, I'm just not afraid to debate a subject on its merits or lack there of. You should try it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom, you are spot on as usual. Lou should of never involved himself to take a side in such a slandering issue. For someone to slander someone without confirmation from creditable sources is an injustice, and then for another person to involve himself and support the accuser saying that he sounded creditable is just as bad as the accuser.

Bill Incardona

As I said, I don't know you well enough to know either way.

Guys on the road sometimes did what they needed to do make their daily nut and there are endless stories out there about all kinds of stuff guys did back in the day -- Freddy's book is filled with them. So IMO, without speaking specifically about you, there is nothing implausible about a pool player on the road hustling and perhaps doing business. That was a significant part of the pool culture when guys where traveling around, no?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, just looked through some of these posts and was a little shocked at the accusations, and that any of them needs defending. Just so you know, I first saw Billy practicing on a snooker table at The Rack (yes, that one in Oak Park, MI, my home town) in the early 70's. I was amazed at his demeanor at the table and the way he struck balls perfectly at any speed all while standing like a rock at the table. His wide spread legs providing the perfect balance and power. So I've known of Billy for a very long time.

Speaking of The Rack, many players who frequented that room were after the money and there was business being done as the stakes were high...and I mean high! - that was a fact. So what? That was the way it was back then (and maybe now) and nobody gave it a second thought. ~What's that have to do with being Hall of Fame worthy?~ It's a tough life and that's how some made their money, or at least their nut to try to make more. If you look back, you may be shocked how many of the current HoF group has done business in the past. Who cares and why is this need defending?

I have no idea if Billy has done business in the past and I don't give a rat's a$$ if he did and neither should the pool world. If so, that would be such a small percent of what he has acheived and given back to the game it's a joke.

Billy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame 100%
- great player (one of the best i the 70's during its heyday & feared by his peers)
- great commentator (has entertained and educated all of us -1pocket; 9-ball; etc.)
- great human (supporting those in need especially his friends, even with him and his family going through tragedy)
- lifetime achievement award at a minimum (he's old)
- you get the idea :) (y)

Billy,
If I were you I would simply thank those that support you (I being one) and those bringing this to the attention of the Hall of Fame commitee and not spend another second defending any negative posts. You've handled it beautifully, but enough is enough. You know when to fold 'em, don't you?

Thank you, "Cardone" for all you have done and continue doing. I personally have enjoyed you for over 45 years.

Dave

Good post.

And for those that think I harbor some hidden animus towards BI, if you were to go back through my posting history, you'd find that I have said, on numerous occasions, that Grady and Billy were one of the *great* commentary teams in sports. He's always been a great 9ball and 1pocket player and I hope he makes it in for his playing. I do like Grady for Meritorious Service, because in addition to his great play and commentary, he was the promoter for many, many events.

Lou Figueroa

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Grady should be in there too. Let’s get Billy in while he is around to enjoy it.

Both true, the sooner than later aspect really comes into play with HOF status in any sport or field that has such a category.

Drinks on me ol' wise one

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
20 years on the internet and I have been attacked more than once by anonymous trolls. My solution is to either put that individual on Ignore or, in particularly egregious situations, take it up privately with the administrators.

As to your false allegation about chumming the waters, no, I'm just not afraid to debate a subject on its merits or lack there of. You should try it.

Lou Figueroa

That's interesting Lou. You have been attacked by trolls. So have I. I think an opinionated person who does not mind sharing those opinions on public forums inevitably encounter trolls who wish to stir the pot. Is this not what OF did?

You say your solution is to ignore or take it up privately. That's good. I would agree that is good advice. So why when someone else is attacked by a troll you stand up for him? I would think at the very least, you would want to stay out of it. This is what got me going. This, to me is the definition of "chumming the waters" You added fuel to the fire. Maybe you didn't intend that. I hope not.

Tom

Last edited:

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said, I don't know you well enough to know either way.

Guys on the road sometimes did what they needed to do make their daily nut and there are endless stories out there about all kinds of stuff guys did back in the day -- Freddy's book is filled with them. So IMO, without speaking specifically about you, there is nothing implausible about a pool player on the road hustling and perhaps doing business. That was a significant part of the pool culture when guys where traveling around, no?

Lou Figueroa

Stop it Lou, no it wasn't a significant part of pool culture back then, it's just as prevalent today as it ever was. That is, in terms of percentages. Back then there were more stake horses to get screwed, today there aren't as many. It's not a culture that we are speaking about, it's about character. Of course the larger the opportunity window is the more character flaws will show. My character was never to do business, I wasn't brought up with that type of thinking. Yes I lemond people that was part of hustling, but to intentionally dump a backer is something I never did, that's what doing business is when old fart implies that I was infamous for.

But why Lou, why would you say that old fart sounded creditable? What would of he said that would impress you that he was not creditable? That's where I have a problem with your interjection, it was validating the claim by adding fuel to the fire..so to speak.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop it Lou, no it wasn't a significant part of pool culture back then, it's just as prevalent today as it ever was. That is, in terms of percentages. Back then there were more stake horses to get screwed, today there aren't as many. It's not a culture that we are speaking about, it's about character. Of course the larger the opportunity window is the more character flaws will show. My character was never to do business, I wasn't brought up with that type of thinking. Yes I lemond people that was part of hustling, but to intentionally dump a backer is something I never did, that's what doing business is when old fart implies that I was infamous for.

But why Lou, why would you say that old fart sounded creditable? What would of he said that would impress you that he was not creditable? That's where I have a problem with your interjection, it was validating the claim by adding fuel to the fire..so to speak.

Bill Incardona

Another note worthy point Lou. My win loss record was heavily tilted toward wins, if I was I infamous for doing business than it would be the other way around. Also whenever I played 99% of the time I bet my own money I very rarely got staked. Maybe you can draw a clearer conclusion if you had more pertinent information on my gambling habits, that in addition to all the people that know me and my character should suffice. ????

Bill Incardona

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And if I get nominated to the HOF please take good look at my past. As a banker in Monopoly I have tucked plenty of $100 bills under the board just in case.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without getting into the back and forth..... let's all just either give our
Approval, or not.

I vote ......... YES. .....for all the enjoyment I've had listening to Mr. I
On various streams!!!

Td