Jennifer "shot clock" Barretta

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
wow what kinda zero phukin jerk off goes on az billiards and says something like this? she beat you?
she beat your boyfriend? she earned her stripes the hard way while some asshole like you sits back and bashes her on the internet after the mods ban me for this post you guys will still be assholes

Can't handle the truth huh?
Jason

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Watching her play so excruciatingly slow is PAINFUL!!!!!
Last year at the Expo was no different than this year.
Put all her matches on a shot clock from the start.
She was also told about bathroom breaks.
One match they took a break at 1-1!!!
Although that could've been an hour in already.

Women are much better than men at absorbing visual information and making decisions. Men are much more impulsive and reactive. This could be a clue to the different styles of play, and also life.

Jennifer's playing pace is slower than many of the men, that's true.
I got to watch 2 of her matches up close. For me, I was beyond impressed at her poise, mindfulness and control.
I remember being in awe of her pace and thinking at first "I could never play in such a controlled manner"
then I remember thinking how I'd do pretty much anything for the results she gets from her playing pace.
Since I've been home from the Expo, I've tried slowing down my play and being more mindful and less impulsive.
The far better results have been immediately noticeable.

Speaking to @nataddrho's statement. That is exactly right.
I remember when I took my NRA Pistol safety class.
All the women in the class shot way better than any of the men during the live fire portion of the class at the range.
The instructor, who was the highest level instructor the NRA credentials, said for as long as he's been an instructor, this has always been the case.
He pretty much said everything @nataddrho said. It may be tougher on some spectators, but for me, you can't argue with the outcome.
Just my thoughts. -Z-

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennifer "shot clock" Barretta

I don’t think she plays slow. I think she simply never plays fast. She moves at tournament speed. You will never say she made quick work of that rack and you will never say she rushed that shot. I think it is all a measure of how consistent her preshot routine is. You can almost dissect and see every step because she sticks to it so perfectly every time.

Walk over and grab chalk
Chalk stick
Set chalk down out of the way
Walk over to where the CB needs to be for next shot
Walk behind pocket line of OB
Walk behind aiming line of CB
Step into shot
Gentle practice strokes
Easy pull back
Pause
Smooth delivery
Stay down
Get up
Walk over and grab chalk...

Add a little time for the first time at the table or while addressing problem balls. Otherwise she will run a rack in 4-5 minutes taking 30-45 seconds on every shot if she doesn’t miss it get in a safety battle.

Nothing there seems excessive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
She's going to be 50 this year in October. I find it strange that she masquerades as a 19 year old. She's an old lady and plays slow.

"I find it strange that she masquerades as a 19 year old."

Please explain that statement.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

Then why aren't the women beating the men on the men's circuit?

If they are MUCH BETTER, it would seem that they would win MORE OFTEN THAN NOT against a man.

If the guys are going for "flyers" while the women are making the better decisions, the law of averages would favor the women, but it doesn't work out that way in the majority of the cases of women vs men.

It seems that the women "have more doubts of their abilities" than the men do and had rather duck than shoot a lot of times.

I agree with this, it seems men see themselves making the shot and running out and women see themselves missing the shot so play safe.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then why aren't the women beating the men on the men's circuit?

If they are MUCH BETTER, it would seem that they would win MORE OFTEN THAN NOT against a man.

If the guys are going for "flyers" while the women are making the better decisions, the law of averages would favor the women, but it doesn't work out that way in the majority of the cases of women vs men.

It seems that the women "have more doubts of their abilities" than the men do and had rather duck than shoot a lot of times.
Yep. Agree 100%. If this pisses some people off so be it. Over the years i've seen a lot of women's pool both at regional levels and the top tier. I will say at the top level the pace of play overall is better now. The skill level at the top is super good and not as plodding as it used to be.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break at 1-1. Defend that Scotty. Be honest.
My wife was pissed too btw.
Thankfully the women were mixed in with the men.
Seperate arena's. The women's would be almost empty.
It wasn't that way years ago.
Scotty. If Jen had half the personality of Vivian she may get a pass.
Vivian is bad ass!

I've seen Corey take a break TWICE at 1-0
and Delicious, Grex Fix and other men have been just as slow-M Wong and more

Jen will not fire until she 'sees' the shot-tremendous concentration!

from a Billiards Digest article just posted here today on the Corey Deuel thread

'Deuel went for the long kick, hammering the cue ball off the headrail and back down toward the 7-9 cluster. The 7 dropped in one corner, followed by the 9 in the other corner pocket.

After the scintillating shot, Deuel took his break - yes, just one rack into the final - giving Immonen some extra time to replay the unlikely game-winner in his mind.'

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll watch Shot Clock (and no, I’m not her groupie).

You take The Time Bandit (great guy, but slowest on the planet).

Freddie <~~~ no sexism

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's a googan? :rolleyes:

I looked it up:

Googan

A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules
Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s compare apples to apples

You don’t have to compare women players to men. You come off sounding like a sexist tard. Let’s keep the comparisons of Jennifer and Emily to other female pros. For me, they would be easier to watch taking a minute over EVERY shot if they finished higher in tournaments or even won some tournaments. I don’t care if they have a great pre-shot routine and excellent concentration. So does Karen and Allison, and they’re all-time greats. I want to watch pros who perform, and if they don’t perform, then things like impressive pre-shot routines and concentration aren’t impressive, they’re boring.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have nothing against JB in particular, but slow players are killing this game. All televised matches should have shot clocks.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I just left gollchannel.com and the front page article is about how brutally slow players are now. Rounds over five and a half hours.

Baseball is brutal too.

Even the guy who wrote the book about Torbjorn Blomdahl made a point about darts getting hugely popular because the game is fast...you take more than five seconds to throw a dart and a crowd of thousands starts grumbling or booing you.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I don't think it's a "girl" thing. She obviously came to the game late and her "computer" is not quite a quick as someone who started young and seems to play on instinct. Fuller, Shaw etc.

Her concentration and solid fundamentals maximizes her limited "natural" skills.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll watch Shot Clock (and no, I’m not her groupie).

You take The Time Bandit (great guy, but slowest on the planet).

Freddie <~~~ no sexism

Slow play is a knife to the liver of pool.

There's no reason for it regardless of gender.

The Jason "Time Bandit" Klatt vs Alex Kazakis match just completed a few minutes ago on the stream. I grudgingly watched this after I swore that I would never watch a match with Klatt in it again. This was after the 8 ball event in Chattanooga. He played so slow that I kept waiting for the punchline. It had to be a joke.

To my surprise, there was a shot clock in this event today. I believe Klatt played better than ever with the clock.

By the way, having the ref rack sped things up ta boot.

Last edited: