Best shafts ever produced.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post!
I think it all.comes.down to.personal preference.
As a long time golfer, based on my personal experiences even the most nostalgic players seldom stick with the the older offerings of past years. I can play great with my old persimmon driver, but the newer technology is simply better in my opinion.

s-l300.jpg

Musical instruments
Golf clubs
Pool cues

Interesting comparing the above

I don't think musical instruments can fall into this category. At least not easily.

There are a few things that count in those, "feel" "sound" and technical performance. It is very very rare for an instrument to be used based on performance. Say if the frets are harder steel on a guitar or the pickups are a certain "hottness" vs a quieter model. Golf Clubs and cues, and other sports equipment you can measure as better (say 10 yards longer drive, 15% less deflection, faster head speed in tennis, and so on. A music instrument you can measure but in no way does a higher or lower measurement of something mean that it sounds better or is better for someone to play. Maybe comfort and ease of play would be something measured, but that would be a personal thing as much as anything else.

Many wooden instruments people say don't sound their best till after years of use. I just watches some things on violin making where they made a virtual violin that models the sounds of a Stradivarius and the sound waves where pretty much the same, in this case, there may be some comparison with tech, but the tech is only good because it copied the natural sound.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Golf clubs ?
They are designed to drive the ball as far and as easily it can be.
That's should be compared to BREAK CUES/SHAFTS.
Not playing shafts.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you did there, Preacher.

I agree.

And, Most Are Priced Less Expensive.

My favorite way to tease people with a Revo, when they miss, I tell them each of their misses costs them 5 times more than one of mine :D

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf club aren't only designed for distance, there are numerous other considerations such as feel, accuracy, etc....

Golf isn't simply a long drive competition, it's a game of finesse,
You need to be able to draw and fade the ball, when approaching the green half or quarter swings are required. Depending on pin position different spin will need to be imparted to the ball to get position for your putt.

Do you play golf?

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite way to tease people with a Revo, when they miss, I tell them each of their misses costs them 5 times more than one of mine :D

Was that you I saw with a bag of McDonalds poking your head into Gordon Ramsey’s yelling “Your fries cost 5 times more than mine!”

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that you can measure shaft effectiveness by "wins" It is always a matter of personal preference at any level. In the end - shafts don't shoot the cue ball themselves, a human with built in mechanical flaws is behind each shaft. One of the hardest things in pool is to execute the correct stroke for each shot - time after time - the shaft only follows the executed stroke. Hard to generalize on any particular shaft following a stroke more effectively- each person should choose most comfortable for them, no true way to say that one type of shaft is superior.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf club aren't only designed for distance, there are numerous other considerations such as feel, accuracy, etc....

Golf isn't simply a long drive competition, it's a game of finesse,
You need to be able to draw and fade the ball, when approaching the green half or quarter swings are required. Depending on pin position different spin will need to be imparted to the ball to get position for your putt.

Do you play golf?

I was giving an example of how you can measure something vs something else. You can still measure spin the club applies for a specific hit for example. I was not saying that every club should be measured by distance, but it's a very simple way of measuring one club vs another in numbers, how far it hits.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that you I saw with a bag of McDonalds poking your head into Gordon Ramsey’s yelling “Your fries cost 5 times more than mine!”

Respectfully, Matt

Ah, but that is different. You may get more enjoyment from better fries, that may be worth 5 times more to someone. You can't have better performance in fries. But people would buy a Revo for better performance. I doubt anyone keeps it because it has a better hit feel than their current shaft. So if you bought it but still miss a bunch, that is where I make fun of them LOL Really, the same thing can be said about people using $5,000 cues vs $300 cues, except that if anyone buys a Revo for collector value or "art" of it, well I would have to check their mental stability.

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was giving an example of how you can measure something vs something else. You can still measure spin the club applies for a specific hit for example. I was not saying that every club should be measured by distance, but it's a very simple way of measuring one club vs another in numbers, how far it hits.
Sorry, I was replying to post #23 by Joey. He had said
"Golf clubs ?
They are designed to drive the ball as far and as easily it can be."

I think a lot more goes into the design of golf clubs than simply distance. Golf isn't simply a long drive contast, the same way pool isnt only about breaking the balls.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, but that is different. You may get more enjoyment from better fries, that may be worth 5 times more to someone. You can't have better performance in fries. But people would buy a Revo for better performance. I doubt anyone keeps it because it has a better hit feel than their current shaft. So if you bought it but still miss a bunch, that is where I make fun of them LOL Really, the same thing can be said about people using $5,000 cues vs $300 cues, except that if anyone buys a Revo for collector value or "art" of it, well I would have to check their mental stability.

I agree. I just love exploring the humor of it.

Respectfully, Matt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Golf clubs ?
They are designed to drive the ball as far and as easily it can be.
That's should be compared to BREAK CUES/SHAFTS.
Not playing shafts.

Lee Trevino went on a winning streak when a friend talked him into changing putters.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Lee Trevino went on a winning streak when a friend talked him into changing putters.

And Tiger's game tanked for a while when he switched to Nike .

OK, let's just compare drivers to break cues .

I believe half the people who play pool now only play on bar boxes.
Do bar box players really need synthetic pool shafts ?

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Tiger's game tanked for a while when he switched to Nike .

OK, let's just compare drivers to break cues .

I believe half the people who play pool now only play on bar boxes.
Do bar box players really need synthetic pool shafts ?
Drivers(your woods as well) have to be able to work the ball left to right, right to left, is the fairway playing hard, then you have to be able to apply a little backspin or topspin depending on where out of bounds is.

A better comparison to break cues would be baseball bats in my opion. Although I dont play baseball

Also tigers Game didnt tank went he switched to Nike, dunno where you came up with that.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Those pie lams of the original Predator were pretty good .
They were laminated from the same board.
Only drawback was, they couldn't be as smooth as regular maple shafts.