Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MezzoForteViolin-2.jpg
Yep, that's me. Keep your ears open! lol

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joss and Joss West got some incredibly good wood back in the day. Part of it came from the tearing down of a bowling alley. That's a story in itself.

All the best,
WW

It's a myth afaik.
Bowling alley boards were not cut to be good shafts.
They were mostly cross-cut.

I fell for that myth too a long time ago.
Then I saw some planks being sold at the first western cue show.
I saw them and they were just about the worst planks I've seen.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
It’s cute. We have a brand war over materials and people have gone full Mac vs. PC or iPhone vs. Android.

It makes sense people are curious and/or excited about carbon fiber. It’s new. There’s a lot to discuss. The reason you don’t see a lot of maple threads is that it’s not new and there’s not a lot of questions to be asked at this point.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

This is an evolutionary thing. Mammals, both herd and prey species, imprint onto a group and see all other groups as the enemy. Whether of the same species or not. It's an evolutionary adaptation to encourage aggression against those who might wish to kill and eat you, or compete for the same food source.This group imprinting mechanic is hard wired into our brains, and works to segregate us in politics, religion, ethnicity, and Maple/Revo.

So the "rah rah rah, my team is AWESOME, your team SUCKS!" crowd are simply failing to use their intellect to overpower their animal instincts.

Short Bus Russ

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I doubt that you can measure shaft effectiveness by "wins" It is always a matter of personal preference at any level. In the end - shafts don't shoot the cue ball themselves, a human with built in mechanical flaws is behind each shaft. One of the hardest things in pool is to execute the correct stroke for each shot - time after time - the shaft only follows the executed stroke. Hard to generalize on any particular shaft following a stroke more effectively- each person should choose most comfortable for them, no true way to say that one type of shaft is superior.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute there, feller. Common sense is frowned upon in these types of threads! :eek:

Maniac

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Tiger's game tanked for a while when he switched to Nike .

OK, let's just compare drivers to break cues .

/QUOTE]

What’s more important was the brand of nine iron his wife was playing...

View attachment 493635

LMAO, that was the end of Tiger, once he got caught cheating, he was done.

If you look when Tiger switched to Nike clubs his performance wasn't negatively impacted in anyway, this was around 2001-2002, he had been signed to nike before that(mid 90's late 90's), but nike wasn't producing golf clubs then.
When he switched from Butch to Hank around 2004 and revamped his swing, he did experience a downturn in play but I don't think that could be attributed to his clubs.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What’s more important was the brand of nine iron his wife was playing...

I think the nine iron was one with not a lot of bounce, just a sharp leading edge.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
By your logic the best shafts in the 90s and early 2000s were SSTs from Cuetec as they won about 10 world championships with Earl and Allison on board - thats the best track record there is for that time period :eek: :confused::rolleyes:

Guess that is why Johnny Archer was the "Player of the Decade" in both the 90's and 2000's using a Schon cue and maple shafts.

Lyn

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guess that is why Johnny Archer was the "Player of the Decade" in both the 90's and 2000's using a Schon cue and maple shafts.

Lyn

For the 90's, yes, Archer. But I don't recall him ever being designated Player of the Decade for the 00's. Billiards Digest had Immonen; the US Billiard Media Association had Reyes.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an evolutionary thing. Mammals, both herd and prey species, imprint onto a group and see all other groups as the enemy. Whether of the same species or not. It's an evolutionary adaptation to encourage aggression against those who might wish to kill and eat you, or compete for the same food source.This group imprinting mechanic is hard wired into our brains, and works to segregate us in politics, religion, ethnicity, and Maple/Revo.

So the "rah rah rah, my team is AWESOME, your team SUCKS!" crowd are simply failing to use their intellect to overpower their animal instincts.

Short Bus Russ

Excellent post. Good insight and very accurate I believe. Although some of it is just simple defensive ignorance, like all the "LD is just a marketing gimmick" type nonsense.

I really love the feel of a great cue with a traditional maple shaft. I have a nice Andy Gilbert I play with. I got the cue with an original Gilbert shaft and 314-2, since I already played Predator before ordering. The original shaft hits amazing, but I simply play better with the predator. In exactly the same way that one can learn the deflection characteristics of any cue and hence potentially reach success with it, I think you can learn the hit as well. No, my 314-2 doesn't feel like a traditional shaft. However, it feels like what it feels like, and offers similar feedback. When I hit the ball super pure the feel of the hit is glorious. When I try a Revo, it seems another step removed from the original maple shaft. But good lord the performance is incredible. So I feel confident that if I get a Revo, the hit of that will be something I learn, and I think it will yield a slight improvement in my game. Not too sure why that has to be traumatic for anyone. It certainly won't be for me!

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about won more than any other shaft. I think past 2000s more tournaments have been won with some low deflection shaft than not. Especially if you count local/weekly/league events.

Need to wait another 30 years to see how things turn out for shafts as far as wins go.

I don't agree that there is a "best" of anything when it comes to sports equipment, it's only "best" if the person can perform their best with it. So far I have not seen any pro win more with a Revo than their prior shaft, not have seen amateurs win more when changing shafts every other week. I think on here the only person to come out to give a good review of a shaft making them better is Marek.

I will tell you that I have helped several newer C players advance more with going from standard shafts to LD. I watched them play, and noticed they missed a lot of shots with spin. They did not know about deflection. After a bit of time spent explaining it to them, and having them try a few LD shafts, several of them switched to LD and were able to play better.

I do not know about others but, my game has improved by a good amount since switching to LD and even took another jump in improvement after going to the Revo.

Example of my win/loss percentage in 9 ball, 10 ball and 8 ball when playing the ghost with plain maple, wood LD and Revo.

1. Plain maple = I was 52% favorite to win in races to 7 and shorter.

2. Wood LD = improved to 65% favorite to win in races to 9 and shorter.

3. Revo 12.4 = improved to 78% favorite to win in races to 11 and shorter.

Those percentages are not just guess off the top of my head. I enter EVERY ghost race I play into an excel program that tracks it and averages it out. Since starting back playing.

NOTE: I enter "EVERY" race no matter win or lose or how bad or good the score is.

9 ball ghost:

26 races to 5
34 races to 7
39 races to 9
16 races to 11
6 races to 15
4 races to 21

10 ball ghost:

34 races to 5
46 races to 7
18 races to 11
13 races to 15
6 races to 21

8 ball ghost:

17 races to 9
12 races to 11
2 races to 15

I have no proof of much of the above. I do have a couple of videos online. They are not my best games but I did put a couple of five packs together (may have been 6, memory..lol) but it was very short race to 7. That I do remember.

I've been meaning put record another set of races to give everyone a better sense of my game but I've not been able to due to sickness in family.

Hopefully soon I will be able to post better/longer races.

Anyways, I read where you said that Marek was the "only" person that gave a good review of Revo improving their game on here.

I'm not sure if I gave a review about the Revo improving my game or not so I thought I would throw this out there in lieu of a review so there would be a little more data to go by for people to consider.

Rake

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If pool players could practice instead of looking for gear. Pool halls would be filled with better players.

Naw...they would still be filled with a bunch of hacks like me that don't know which end of the cue to hold. :eek:

Maniac (it's the fat end, right?)

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REVO= no practice ?

If pool players could practice instead of looking for gear. Pool halls would be filled with better players.

So are you saying that people that but REVO shafts don't practice? I've seen this
silly statement on here a hundred times. I doubt there is anyone that thinks that
if they buy one that they will automatically be a champion. As a matter of fact
there have been many on here that said the had to play quite a long time to get used
to them, and then and only then did they start to like them and felt they were playing
better.
jack

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have read on here.. LOL

He might be on to something deep. We look for gear because we can afford it. We can afford it because we have jobs. If we didn’t have jobs, we’d have a lot of time to practice. :)

Respectfully, Matt

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He might be on to something deep. We look for gear because we can afford it. We can afford it because we have jobs. If we didn’t have jobs, we’d have a lot of time to practice. :)

Respectfully, Matt

This is very true.

I worked most all of my life like most others so that, to a certain degree I could do what I choose within reason.

I'm retired and do practice lots more than most. Do I play anymore than I did when using plain maple or maple L.D.? Nope.

If anything I practice "smarter" now. So, instead of just hitting balls around for roughly 6 to 10 hours a day, I now will run drills in a.m. for couple hours. Then have free play for half hour or so.

Later in afternoon I do another couple hours of drills followed by free play and another break.

After family responsibilities (everyone is settled for night) I will run more drills followed of course by free play.

My drills are pretty much made up of problem shots I see while doing races. After I own that shot I go back to races until another problem arises and then back to drills to own another shot whether it be a kick, bank etc...

All of my free play lately is American Rotation alternating with straight pool at times.

I honestly think that changing my free play to those two games has been a great help in finding my weaknesses to work on.

As for the Revo, I still stand by it has helped me improve my %'s since I no longer have issue with inside or outside on long, short, hard and soft shots.

My ball speed on pocket speed shots was probably the hardest part for me (this is where I missed the "feel" of maple) but after that, most all of my game greatly improved.

So, bottom line in honesty:

The Revo, just like any maple cue by itself without QUALITY table time is useless. But the performance of the Revo seems to help me overcome all of my spin issues no matter the speed/distance.

Rake