Easy Fractions

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please explain in detail how and where it applies to PJ's diagrams, your Poolology, and/or Joe Tucker's Contact point aiming system.

Are there any shots on the table that DO NOT require adjustments? Anything that can be seen and determined immediately by past experience and repetition?

Stick to your OWN system for explanations. You do have one, you know. And nobody should understand and execute it better.

Yes. I can look at any shot at address and determine exactly which fractional aim to use. Then I align for that aim and go into full stance and shoot it. But while I'm aiming looking at the ball and determining the aim point/line, my mind is telling me "yes, this feels right", or "nope, this doesn't feel right...look again."

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yes. I can look at any shot at address and determine exactly which fractional aim to use. Then I align for that aim and go into full stance and shoot it. But while I'm aiming looking at the ball and determining the aim point/line, my mind is telling me "yes, this LOOKS right", or "nope, this doesn't LOOKright...look again."

Fixed it for you. Maybe it WAS RIGHT but indecision or fear jumped in to cause doubt.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Fixed it for you. Maybe it WAS RIGHT but indecision or fear jumped in to cause doubt.

I don't believe it needed fixed. "Feel" was the correct word.

When we look at something that triggers a response, a decision to be made, the response is always analyzed in our mind. We compare what we are looking at to whatever response the mind pulls up, based on what we've learned through experience. If we feel like the response fits with what we are looking at then we proceed to execute. If something feels off it's because we aren't coming up with a solid response to match the conditions we are seeing -- we lack the experience needed to respond with solid confidence. This is when dreaded guesswork comes into play and we screw up..... the shot doesn't feel right, regardless of what it looks like, and we shoot anyway, hoping to get lucky. This is a learning opportunity if we pay attention to the results. Guessing is the same as experimenting, and it can help with developing experience.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I don't believe it needed fixed. "Feel" was the correct word.

I don't agree at all. The aiming part of pool is VISUAL.

When we look at something that triggers a response, a decision to be made, the response is always analyzed in our mind. We compare what we are looking at to whatever response the mind pulls up, based on what we've learned through experience. If we feel like the response fits with what we are looking at then we proceed to execute. If something feels off it's because we aren't coming up with a solid response to match the conditions we are seeing -- we lack the experience needed to respond with solid confidence. This is when dreaded guesswork comes into play and we screw up..... the shot doesn't feel right, regardless of what it looks like, and we shoot anyway, hoping to get lucky. This is a learning opportunity if we pay attention to the results. Guessing is the same as experimenting, and it can help with developing experience.

I think you have a far, far more feminine side to you than I do.

Women are the sex that "FEELS" more.

I think I also play with much less self doubt kicking in than you do. The way you think and play the game is diametrically opposed to mine.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does this put positive input into the thread ? Or even a real question?
Several continue to complain about bashing and useless post might this be one.
Now wait just a minute... How did you get to determine what is "positive" or isn't positive? I know, I know...you've got a right to your opinion and by golly, that's okay. Doesn't mean it's accurate, though.
I can't help it if I was born a hillbilly. I've just lived life trying to rise above my circumstances. Can't help it if I'm slow either...I'm trying to learn better.
And furthermore, for a year there have been advocates here of "just see the shot and shoot it in". How did all that suddenly end because of a few diagrams ?? That's a simple question isn't it?
And finally, do you, yourself, know what a "lizard head move" is? I sure don't and inquiring minds would like to know. What's wrong with that ??
:shrug:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pat -- For the numbers in your table to work best, it looks to me like the tip of the shaft should be at the base of the ghost ball rather than the edge or base of the OB.
Yes, thanks for the clarification. But I think either probably works closely enough for this estimation.

And the handspan (as you correctly indicate by talking about the line from CB to OB) is to the base of the CB, not the CB edge.
Maybe I misunderstand, but it's actually to a point somewhere on the line that runs from the ghost ball center to the CB center. It's only to the CB itself if the CB happens to be at one of the pre-measured distances for your handspan.

Typo -- It looks like the entry for a quarter-ball aim and a 9" handspan should be just 8" rather than 8¾".
Yep, thanks for the catch (corrected).

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Are there any shots on the table that DO NOT require adjustments? Anything that can be seen and determined immediately by past experience and repetition?
"By past experience and repetition" is the definition of "by feel" (as has been said many times). The fact that you can do it quickly after some practice doesn't change the nature of it.

Of course, I don't expect you to accept that now after all the other times you've rejected it - I repeat it for those readers who are trying to learn and not simply digging in their heels.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
"By past experience and repetition" is the definition of "by feel" (as has been said many times). The fact that you can do it quickly after some practice doesn't change the nature of it.

Of course, I don't expect you to accept that now after all the other times you've rejected it - I repeat it for those readers who are trying to learn and not simply digging in their heels.

pj
chgo

I do know and admit you have your following who live by your word. If that's what they want, good for them you're around and give it to them so they can play the game just like you.

We all make choices for ourselves and what you do and promote is so far from the way I play the game it's unbelievable.

Here's the deal, I won't say SH*T about what you think and play the game IF you do likewise with me and others who play like I do. We stay OUT of each other's threads, posts, and way to play the game.

YAY or NAY?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you have a far, far more feminine side to you than I do.

Women are the sex that "FEELS" more.

I think I also play with much less self doubt kicking in than you do. The way you think and play the game is diametrically opposed to mine.

I just think our definitions of "feel" are way different. You see it as related to emotional feelings or physical sensation. I see it as an internal control mechanism, a guide for knowing what looks right or wrong, an experience-based instinct.

The eyes do not think or make decisions. They simply capture images so your brain has some input to work with. The results of this work then have to be evaluated to determine a course of action. This evaluation is what I am calling feel -- that feeling of knowing you are seeing the CTE perception correctly, or the feeling of knowing you are lined up perfectly in accordance with what your eyes are seeing.

It's really not a complicated idea of feel. There's no mysterious or emotional aspect to it. What would you call that internal signal or control mechanism that lets you know it's ok to pull the trigger? You can't just say "My eyes let me know", because your eyes do nothing but input data to the brain.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I just think our definitions of "feel" are way different.

Yeah, like Bill Clinton saying, "Well that depends on what your definition of IS, IS.
It's the same wordsmithing game.

You see it as related to emotional feelings or physical sensation. I see it as an internal control mechanism, a guide for knowing what looks right or wrong, an experience-based instinct.

Maybe you're not as good or accomplished player as you think you are or lead other to believe. If you have this kind of self-doubt on every single shot you take, you need help.

The eyes do not think or make decisions. They simply capture images so your brain has some input to work with. The results of this work then have to be evaluated to determine a course of action. This evaluation is what I am calling feel -- that feeling of knowing you are seeing the CTE perception correctly, or the feeling of knowing you are lined up perfectly in accordance with what your eyes are seeing.

I guess you missed the part where I talked about getting in the general area of an aim point or contact point for those users. They then use what is termed as "feel" to go back and forth, back and forth through a process of elimination by guesswork. AKA "FEEL".

It's really not a complicated idea of feel. There's no mysterious or emotional aspect to it. What would you call that internal signal or control mechanism that lets you know it's ok to pull the trigger?

I call it certainty and confidence from years of training and experience.

You can't just say "My eyes let me know", because your eyes do nothing but input data to the brain.

But my brain tells me what the EYES tell it, "I F*CKING KNOW THIS IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE AND IT'S RIGHT ON THE MONEY."

Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I'd say feel is the same in all aiming methods. Here is an example of what I call "feel". Stan says his mind was telling him something. In other words, he had a "feeling" about the shot. He felt it was almost a 45.

https://youtu.be/4iuvQT7dwfs?t=662s

This feel was based on what he saw compared to what he knows, his experience. That's what we mean by "feel". It's not a physical sensation...it's a mental awareness. Like aiming a gun at a target very far away. You have the target locked dead in the sights, but you know you have to aim a little higher to account for trajectory. How high do you adjust? Whatever feels right based on your experience. The same feel is used when we align for a pool shot. When locking into a 1/2 tip offset from a particular perception (a perception in which the visuals felt right), or locking into a fractional aim or CP-to-CP with parallel shift, or whatever....we must decide if what we are seeing feels right based on our own experience.

Had a response typed up. Better to say way bother commenting Brian.

Obvious the intent of his post.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Now wait just a minute... How did you get to determine what is "positive" or isn't positive? I know, I know...you've got a right to your opinion and by golly, that's okay. Doesn't mean it's accurate, though.
I can't help it if I was born a hillbilly. I've just lived life trying to rise above my circumstances. Can't help it if I'm slow either...I'm trying to learn better.
And furthermore, for a year there have been advocates here of "just see the shot and shoot it in". How did all that suddenly end because of a few diagrams ?? That's a simple question isn't it?
And finally, do you, yourself, know what a "lizard head move" is? I sure don't and inquiring minds would like to know. What's wrong with that ??
:shrug:

Stay in school hillbilly or go back if needed.

I never said it was or wasn't positive. Question was "How is this positive".
One might state the pro's or con's as a reply.

Your past recommendations to your cohort is the advice I shall heed now.

Gone to ignore.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say feel is the same in all aiming methods. Here is an example of what I call "feel". Stan says his mind was telling him something. In other words, he had a "feeling" about the shot. He felt it was almost a 45.

https://youtu.be/4iuvQT7dwfs?t=662s

This feel was based on what he saw compared to what he knows, his experience. That's what we mean by "feel". It's not a physical sensation...it's a mental awareness. Like aiming a gun at a target very far away. You have the target locked dead in the sights, but you know you have to aim a little higher to account for trajectory. How high do you adjust? Whatever feels right based on your experience. The same feel is used when we align for a pool shot. When locking into a 1/2 tip offset from a particular perception (a perception in which the visuals felt right), or locking into a fractional aim or CP-to-CP with parallel shift, or whatever....we must decide if what we are seeing feels right based on our own experience.

He had a feeling he should use one perception over the other is what you call feel. How so

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21;6166140. This is when dreaded guesswork comes into play and we screw up..... the shot doesn't feel right said:
I would assume that your sub conscience would automatically make the adjustment, is that not correct.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Does feel equal sub conscience adjustment?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
He had a feeling he should use one perception over the other is what you call feel.......

Yes. Just like when I look at the relationship between the cb and ob, then I determine where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ball. This decision stems from a process that involves conscious input and conscious thought, which prompts subconscious action. But the action doesn't go unchecked, regardless of how quickly and automatically it all happens. Everything is analyzed in the working area of the brain, then if it all fits the current situation we get the go ahead to execute the action. If it doesn't fit then we get stalled until we consciously or subconsciously work it out. Of course this all happens in a matter of seconds, sometimes nanoseconds. That trigger/signal that confirms all is good to go, I call that feel.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Does feel equal sub conscience adjustment?
Final aim refinement ("adjustment") is done by subconsciously comparing the actual alignment with what we subconsciously "remember" looks right for that cut angle. This is pretty obvious for all aiming methods.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final aim refinement ("adjustment") is done by subconsciously comparing the actual alignment with what we subconsciously "remember" looks right for that cut angle. This is pretty obvious for all aiming methods.

pj
chgo

But if the aiming method is exact then there is no need for it, correct.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Just like when I look at the relationship between the cb and ob, then I determine where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ball. This decision stems from a process that involves conscious input and conscious thought, which prompts subconscious action. But the action doesn't go unchecked, regardless of how quickly and automatically it all happens. Everything is analyzed in the working area of the brain, then if it all fits the current situation we get the go ahead to execute the action. If it doesn't fit then we get stalled until we consciously or subconsciously work it out. Of course this all happens in a matter of seconds, sometimes nanoseconds. That trigger/signal that confirms all is good to go, I call that feel.

I think you have a different meaning for feel then most of us.. Choosing an objective perception is not feel IMO.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

But this would be while standing, addressing the shot from behind the cb. Once I drop down into full stance I already know where I intend to send the cb. I am no longer adjusting that aim. When my stick moves a little at this position I am merely ensuring that my stroke is directly lined up in accordance with the already known aim line. Like putting a peg in a hole....you look at the peg, you look at hole, and based on experience your subconscious automatically says "That peg fits in the hole." From there it's simple hand-eye coordination to ensure you guide the peg properly.