Bob Manzino "Gatsby"

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gian for the kind words. This is the second big cue Bob has made for me.

This design concept was initially discussed just after I had received the first cue (Shinju) from him in September 2014. I can’t count the hours I spent on the computer and with Bob over this design. Honestly, there was several times I pretty much felt we needed to scuttle the design since I had become convinced it couldn’t be done, regardless how much I wanted to see it happen.

Bob would always keep me going back to that original sketch. Almost a year to a year and a half, working up countless versions, we got what we had been after.

This whole effort gave me a better appreciation for those makers who are so gifted at having that vision or intuition to know what to draw from and what to avoid. Bob truly has that talent.

Paul

Last edited:

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely magnificent!!!

The design,woods,inlay work....Bob is truly a genius cuemaker...

I remember the first time I saw a Manzino cue about 15 years ago and it was obvious to me at the time that Bob was an exceptional cuemaker on the road to greatness....this is a perfect example of greatness..

Magnificent!!!!

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a result of the recent thread which highlights Bob's magnificent "Chama", I've been PM''d by several asking that I repost pictures of the Gatsby project done a couple years ago. Original photos had earlier been removed some time back. So here they are as requested. Enjoy. :)

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
As a result of the recent thread which highlights Bob's magnificent "Chama", I've been PM''d by several asking that I repost pictures of the Gatsby project done a couple years ago. Original photos had earlier been removed some time back. So here they are as requested. Enjoy. :)

Thank you for reposting the pictures. Cues like this will inspire the next generation of cue makers!

Congratulations on a wonderful cue!

Larry

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for reposting the pictures. Cues like this will inspire the next generation of cue makers!

Congratulations on a wonderful cue!

Larry

Thanks Larry. Actually that is my primary reason for posting builds like this. They exhibit the exceptional set of skills some of our very best and most talented cue makers have but are rarely seen. To see this kind of talent up close is breath taking. It is refreshing to see what can be accomplished when the masters are turned loose.

Paul

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really enjyable to see this cue again. It is spectacular. Congratulations and thanks,
BR
Phil

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really enjyable to see this cue again. It is spectacular. Congratulations and thanks,
BR
Phil

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more tidbit of information that I had forgot about. Generally on designs of this nature and complexity, the less “help” the cue maker gets from a client, the better the results will be. In fact, most client participation usually begins and ends with a pencil sketch or photograph and at that point, aside from suggesting materials for inlays, etc., the design and execution ends for the client.
The Gatsby project turned out to be an opportunity for me to work very close with Bob throughout the entire design phase. His patience was sometimes tested I’m sure. He walked me through blind spots and wasn’t afraid to share knowledge regarding the nuances and restraints associated with executing art on a round canvas. In addition, he helped me to understand basic characteristics of certain inlay materials and where and how they can be most successfully applied. In the end, I had a very exception cue that I could at least pretend to have been a party to during the long and difficult design process.
You can imagine my shock when I saw this. I had never asked for nor expected this. Bob admitted that this was something he had never done before. A beautiful jester to cap off a great experience.

Last edited: