7pm EST, Mike Sigel will answer questions about the UBL: First place wins $100,000

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FB URL:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1910104059293405/?ti=cl

Mike "Captain Hook" Sigel will be live on Facebook tonight at 7pm EST to talk about and take questions for his new league: UBL (United Billiard Leagues / ublnow.com)

It's a new and unique league with major prizes for the participating teams. The first place team will win $100,000. Second place will win $40,000 all the way down top 16 at $5,000.

The new handicap system allows any player of any skill level to have a chance, even against professionals. It's unconventional, but he encourages players give it a try, spread the word, and enjoy the game of pool.

ChalkySticks had the opportunity today to interview him for a couple hours. We'll be putting together an article soon about the league and Captain Hook himself.

We discussed everything from where the prize money comes from, how the new handicap system works, their test runs, how playoffs and finals will work, the future of pool & the league, and more. Look forward to reading that in the near future.

You can expect the league to start in early 2019 and can sign up right now at UBLNOW.com if you're interested.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t trust mike sigel with my pocket change.

Spotting ball in hands makes the apa seem like a pro tour.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't this his second go-round with the concept?

I have to refer back to some of my notes because I haven't written the article yet, but from our talk:

He's been thinking about putting something like this together for 20 years and it took him 8 years to get the money.

He did it 4 years ago and had an investor that unfortunately ended up passing away. They paid out prize money but everything fizzled after that. He said he's since found the right investors that are similarly interested in growing pool.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im fairly certain he tried this 2-3 years ago and remember he was also the Pool Brains behind the IPT. Is another league in demand? We shall see but i think not.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike "Captain Hook" Sigel will be live on Facebook tonight at 7pm EST to talk about and take questions for his new league: UBL (United Billiard Leagues / ublnow.com)

It's a new and unique league with major prizes for the participating teams. The first place team will win $100,000. Second place will win $40,000 all the way down top 16 at $5,000.

The new handicap system allows any player of any skill level to have a chance, even against professionals. It's unconventional, but he encourages players give it a try, spread the word, and enjoy the game of pool.

ChalkySticks had the opportunity today to interview him for a couple hours. We'll be putting together an article soon about the league and Captain Hook himself.

We discussed everything from where the prize money comes from, how the new handicap system works, their test runs, how playoffs and finals will work, the future of pool & the league, and more. Look forward to reading that in the near future.

You can expect the league to start in early 2019 and can sign up right now at UBLNOW.com if you're interested.

No rooms in Colorado at all.
I could use the $100K.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No rooms in Colorado at all.
I could use the $100K.

It's starting out as it is (to my knowledge), and will be spreading as years go on. His goal is to get it worldwide, by spreading through the states and Canada, then moving into other countries as well.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Actually, during our interview, he said he JUST signed a place in Colorado yesterday. So.. how about that.

I'm transcribing the interview and I just go to that part ;D

If he is technically adept enough to talk with us on Facebook, he is technically adept enough to participate with us here on the forums. How about DAT?

But he doesn't. He doesn't give two craps about the pool community. We are just dollar signs to him.

I would much rather support someone like John Schmidt in something like this, because he has actually hung out and participated on the forums.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he is technically adept enough to talk with us on Facebook, he is technically adept enough to participate with us here on the forums. How about DAT?

But he doesn't. He doesn't give two craps about the pool community. We are just dollar signs to him.

I would much rather support someone like John Schmidt in something like this, because he has actually hung out and participated on the forums.

I would guess he's been busy running the trial run and coordinating things for 2019. The AZB community has a lot of members but a vast many people dont participate in the forums here.

I know the league is being targeted at everyone and not just active pool players. Its for regular people and people that have their own cues.

But he's doing the live session and I mentioned it here and in other communities so you know there's an opportunity to ask questions, learn more, and find out if its something you like.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I would guess he's been busy running the trial run and coordinating things for 2019. The AZB community has a lot of members but a vast many people dont participate in the forums here.

I know the league is being targeted at everyone and not just active pool players. Its for regular people and people that have their own cues.

But he's doing the live session and I mentioned it here and in other communities so you know there's an opportunity to ask questions, learn more, and find out if its something you like.

I have no intention of attending the live session. Mike knows where we are. The web address for AZBilliards hasn't changed in quite a few years, I think. It's not that hard for him to come and interact. The last time we heard anything about this was a few years ago. I imagine that Mike had some downtime to interact with the community.

I'd expect him to prioritize us over the people who have no earthly clue who he is. At least in the initial phases. The reason he's not that popular on here is that he does not interact, but comes up with a new moneymaking scheme every few years, then remembers we are here.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I have no intention of attending the live session. Mike knows where we are. The web address for AZBilliards hasn't changed in quite a few years, I think. It's not that hard for him to come and interact. The last time we heard anything about this was a few years ago. I imagine that Mike had some downtime to interact with the community.

I'd expect him to prioritize us over the people who have no earthly clue who he is. At least in the initial phases. The reason he's not that popular on here is that he does not interact, but comes up with a new moneymaking scheme every few years, then remembers we are here.

Dadum Pow :grin:.
Throw CJ in there with him. Go broke, go hawk a buck off the pool players :rolleyes:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t trust mike sigel with my pocket change.

Spotting ball in hands makes the apa seem like a pro tour.

His heart is in the right place problem is he is a pool shooter and not a businessman and just having a invester means zero it's the blind leading the blind

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His heart is in the right place problem is he is a pool shooter and not a businessman and just having a invester means zero it's the blind leading the blind

That could very well be true. It does seem to me, a man
that has an extreme passion for the game( there is no way
to be as dominant as he was without it) is trying to find a
way to work in the industry after an impressive competitive
career. It just appears very misguided to me. Add that to
the fact that he was hand in hand with the ipt, fool me once.

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been trying for years

Maybe he went on Shark Tank and got Mark Cuban to be his stake horse. No investor is going to put up $100,000 just for first place and I'm not counting the other places without expecting some kind of return on their money. So where is this money coming from? It has to be from the players.... don't forget he tried cue making a few years ago to and that didn't pan out either.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see what the format is for the players on a nightly basis. The APA & TAP format is you only play one match per nightly session. Personally I find that ridiculous. You have to drive to the pool hall hang out all night then drive home all for one match. I am amazed that people do it to be honest. Most leagues are a cash cow for the league itself and the pool hall, they only care about the players for their money.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read this thread. Why do you guys have to be like this? If you feel this way, just ignore him. Leave him alone. I have been told by many notable players, that you folks have chased them all off of here.