Verify the 526 run size table.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Yup. I heard him say it too. And for an old dude Russ could still run some balls.

He could almost run balls as well as he ran his mouth! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA :rotflmao1:

( Sorry, Russ, wherever you are... it was a joke. Just a joke :grin: )

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Yup. I heard him say it too. And for an old dude Russ could still run some balls.

And he played that golf pretty sporty too, Z. Harry HATED it when Russ would get in the golf game. Russ was one of the few who would beat Harry's brains in at any game, including golf and Harry couldn't stand that. He always had to be the biggest, baddest rooster in the barnyard and when Russ was in, he wasn't. And everyone knew it. And that drove Harry NUTS. :grin:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
And he played that golf pretty sporty too, Z. Harry HATED it when Russ would get in the golf game. Russ was one of the few who would beat Harry's brains in at any game, including golf and Harry couldn't stand that. He always had to be the biggest, baddest rooster in the barnyard and when Russ was in, he wasn't. And everyone knew it. And that drove Harry NUTS. :grin:

Harry..... who?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Harry..... who?

Hey Russ - Harry was a regular in our room for 30-some-odd years, whose opinion of his own game was probably 2 or 3 balls better than anyone else's opinion of his game ( a disease shared by TONS of pool players as I'm sure you know! ). :D

I was replying to one of Z Nole's posts. Z and I go wayyyyyyyyyy back. To guard his privacy, I won't go into the why and wherefores, but... suffice to say he knows zactly what I'm talkin' bout. :yeah:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Hey Russ - Harry was a regular in our room for 30-some-odd years, whose opinion of his own game was probably 2 or 3 balls better than anyone else's opinion of his game ( a disease shared by TONS of pool players as I'm sure you know! ). :D

I was replying to one of Z Nole's posts. Z and I go wayyyyyyyyyy back. To guard his privacy, I won't go into the why and wherefores, but... suffice to say he knows zactly what I'm talkin' bout. :yeah:

Okay.. Just making sure we aren't talking about Harry Peetros, or someone else I might have heard of.

Definitely not Harry Platis, cuz I don't think he ever had a big ego...

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Okay.. Just making sure we aren't talking about Harry Peetros, or someone else I might have heard of.

Definitely not Harry Platis, cuz I don't think he ever had a big ego...

Nah... Harry was a good ole boy from rural Georgia. When we were kids, he would pay us to make runs out to his van ( he was a wallpaper-hanger ) with his half filled cup of Coke to top it off with the bourbon he kept out there. If you saw one of my posts @ a week ago regarding the wannabe in the room who erased the entire chalk board used to keep score in the golf game ( so he could "neaten it up" ), in the late stages of a BIG action game ( Harry and Dino, a local bookie, were betting 50 and 5. A LOT of cheese for 1973 or so, at least in the golf game ), the guy whose jaw hit the floor just before screaming "WTF are you DOING???", that was Harry... he was a trip.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My #1 was Buzz Aldrin. For some reason I blurted out, "You went to the Moon!" and he calmly responded, "And I got back too!"

I've met many movie and TV stars including Warren Beatty, John Malkovich, Goldie Hawn, James Coburn, Madonna, Telly Savalas, Don Johnson, Tobey Maguire, John Stamos and James Woods, but I'm not that impressed with any of them. I was once in the same room (at a Hollywood party) with Elvis, but he was surrounded, mostly by women, and I never got close enough to talk to him. He did have an aura about him. Even from a distance he radiated Charisma.

Id say that is a pretty good list.. I knew a guy who was in the army with Elvis. I think the normal tendency would be for many to resent the "big shot" but my buddy told me "everyone liked him". Such a shame his last 10 years or so.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As is always the case with historical events, there is a lot of misinformation out there...which seems to get passed on and on while the details get more obscure.

I’ll address only a couple of them that were mentioned earlier in this thread - and by all means, if there’s something not sounding right and can’t be verified, speak up. We don’t really want the facts to get more muddled

We all know it happened March 19-20, 1954 which is easily within the time frame for many AZB folks to chime in that could have been there or can chime in with experiences like a few have.

The referee was Earl Newman (clearly notes on the official affidavit).

The table was noted as a “4 x 8 Brunswick Pocket Billiard Table” on the affidavit, with no references being passed along anywhere that was recorded about it being an (*oversized*) 8’ table. That’s pure speculation.

* the comments I’ve seen about the “oversized” part very easily could have been in reference to the larger, albeit common, 5+” corner pockets on the table. Which was the documented standard outlined in the Official BCA Rule Books of the era..... As if anyone else in those days could tame a 5” pocketed table better than Willie

As for the OP question regarding a “full sized” 4 x 8 versus a smaller home size, I’m not sure I understand that query - unless he’s asking if it were a typical 8’ table of the day or an oversized 8’ table. Again, it has always been purported to be a regular 8’ Brunswick table - nothing has been found saying there were oversized 8’ers in the East High Billiard Club.

A “full size 8’ table” IS still 44”x88” - the oversized 8’ table is still 46”x92”.

There seems to be confusion amongst AZBers on this for some reason no one can figure out. Easy. There never was a “home size” vs a “club size” 8’ table. Local slang perhaps - which doesn’t belong anywhere in talks about Willie’s record on this day.

Exactly 37 people signed the affidavit. Easy to see and count.

The affidavit shows Mr Haas as the owner.

What else can we dig up from the archives about this amazing event in history, folks?

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to state something here and I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE. Please believe that...I don't want to argue, or go back and forth with any of the professional arguing guys on here, or any of that stuff.
So here we go......
When you say.."I also met about 10 or 15 of the original signers of the affidavit saying that he set the record there".....you could be more precise. Was it 10, 12, 14, 15, how many?
When you say....."Almost all of the people I talked to, said it was a 4x8 Brunswick with big pockets".....you could again be more precise. How many is "almost all of the people"??
I hope you can see where I'm headed because you can make book that some wise guy along the way is going to ask the same things.
As for me, it isn't all that important anyway. Mosconi was the greatest straight pool player who ever lived, in my opinion. (He will be toppled some day..as all record holders are eventually toppled.) I think both Lassiter and Buddy Hall would've robbed him at 9 Ball, though.
The "naysayers" will whine and moan as they did about Ruth's records in ballparks of the A.L. catered for left handed pull hitters and all the rest.
Again, please don't get angry with me for posing these ideas. When dealing with something as controversial as this is in the world of pool, being dead on the money with facts is quite important.
Just my opinion and not a thing more.

You are asking a valid question , I can't remember exactly how many who said they were there, I spent lots of time there for 12 years and it seems like that's about how many people I was introduced to. Only 1, that I remember, didn't agree with big pockets.
Several of the old timers introduced that Byrd or Bird guy to me as the referee, still not sure what that's all about , all are long dead now This was from about 1990 to 2002. Then I got very sick.
If you do very much study at all into the history of billiards , you will begin to find that it is full of anomalys.
Everything from having the wrong names of players , to giving them credit for titles, they never actually won.
And everything in between. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was, according to R.A. Dyer, a referee for Mosconi's run that night, in addition to the guy racking, Clarence Newman -- his name was Art Miller.

Lou Figueroa

Thanks. I appreciate the thought.
There were 3 or 4 of the old timers in the action pool room in Springfield ,who remembered this guy when he came in the one time, and they told me he was the ref?
They all called him Bird or Byrd? and he wouldn't talk about the run, like it was the plague.
I'm starting to understand why.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there's a guy who claims to have the original ax that George Washington cut down the cherry tree with.

Of course, the handle's been replaced twice, and the head, three times...

All the best,
WW

I tried to buy it, but got Lizzie Bordens by mistake.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wonder if anyone has Lizzie's? The way that story has held up in history after 125 years-that thing might go for a million or so. Ive seen pictures of it from back then but no current location.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
hmm

well I would say who ever surpasses the record will have some connections within the industry. I have learned that it is close enough for gov't work to pull for the dark horse. After the skid/kick I had (with outside english and not a soft speed) for my 352nd hit - I would say it might be difficult to do. I hope it was mother nature that stopped the run - and not the dreaded 'THEY' human error - but I cannot know for sure. to this day I have never seen a ball skid the way that one did. Plus I have hit over a million pool ball's easily -so it ain't my first rodeo. If the run is not captured on camera then I don't really believe all the hype, I have learned there are some peeps that try hard to promote or make it look like THEIR player should be the one bein marketed as #1 - and 'they live'. Many great players from the past that did not have brunswick to set up a table that had huge pockets and all, not to knock Mosconi - i believe he was a legit champ and i know camera equip back then was very rare. Fats went around with a camera man, he is very famous today but would have been run over like a penny on the rail road track by fellows like Crane, Cook, and Lassiter (to name a few). Just sayin.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
If you do very much study at all into the history of billiards , you will begin to find that it is full of anomalys.
Everything from having the wrong names of players , to giving them credit for titles, they never actually won.

Good point. All of that is because pool's historic record keeping is so bad. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling it is because of a combination of carelessness, lack of resources, and its generally splintered nature in terms of governing bodies. I'm actually eternally shocked someone had the forethought to get an affidavit and witness signatures for Mosconi's run. So much other pool history is lost or is only hearsay. And when that is the case people know they can make up their own history or embellish it. That only serves to further muddy the waters.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good point. All of that is because pool's historic record keeping is so bad. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling it is because of a combination of carelessness, lack of resources, and its generally splintered nature in terms of governing bodies. I'm actually eternally shocked someone had the forethought to get an affidavit and witness signatures for Mosconi's run. So much other pool history is lost or is only hearsay. And when that is the case people know they can make up their own history or embellish it. That only serves to further muddy the waters.

In general the way things get recorded is by reporting in periodicals, whether newspapers or magazines. Newspapers rarely cover pool these days and the monthlies seem to be dying at the rate of a couple per year.

The BCA used to have a records committee. So far as I can tell, there is no official record keeping for pool any more anywhere, which makes any try for a long run record potentially pointless.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You are asking a valid question , I can't remember exactly how many who said they were there, I spent lots of time there for 12 years and it seems like that's about how many people I was introduced to. Only 1, that I remember, didn't agree with big pockets.
Several of the old timers introduced that Byrd or Bird guy to me as the referee, still not sure what that's all about , all are long dead now This was from about 1990 to 2002. Then I got very sick.

Don’t be so hard on the pool world, gentlemen....
...it’s the human condition.....memories can be faulty, info misunderstood.

In Barbara Tuchman’s “A Distant Mirror” she wrote about a battle that France sent
100,000 men to....Barbara searched the old records and found there were provisions
requisitioned for just 5,000 soldiers....I doubt there were 95,000 camp followers and
peasants with pitchforks going to that war....Fake news has been around a long time.

I was pretty young when I played on Willie’s table...wasn’t exactly a table connesieur....
...hell, I would’ve played on a sidewalk if there was a bet....
...but it bothers me that I can’t remember the brand of all the other tables....
...Russ Maddox told me, but the name didn’t stick.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In Barbara Tuchman’s “A Distant Mirror” she wrote about a battle that France sent
100,000 men to....Barbara searched the old records and found there were provisions
requisitioned for just 5,000 soldiers....I doubt there were 95,000 camp followers and
peasants with pitchforks going to that war....Fake news has been around a long time.

I was pretty young when I played on Willie’s table...wasn’t exactly a table connesieur....
...but it bothers me that I can’t remember the brand of all the other tables....

Not being hard , just stating my experience with finding information. I even went through thousands of miles of microfilm in the late 80s.
But I don't think it would have been a tremendous amount of extra work, to at least spell their names correctly.
I also have heard the name of the tables but I can't come up with it either, , if what people have said is true , some of them have been in a couple of the pool rooms in Columbus Ohio , sold after the East High Billiards went out of business,

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they might have been A.E. Schmidt (out of St. Louis). They were very solid tables. I think they're still in business.
I sort of remember that from my talk with George Rood.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Lizzie Borden took an axe
She gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father forty-one.
Lizzie Borden got away
For her crime she did not pay.

All the best,
WW