Tips... Are we fooling Ourselves?

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite tip was always the Triangle. Tried Kamui and didn't care for the extra maintenance. Several months ago tried the Zan Hybrid Max. I can't remember ever scuffing it and definitely haven't burnished it yet. Had one put on my extra shaft. It's my new favorite tip.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ultra Skin (hard). Inexpensive, high quality layered tips that last, mushroom very little and, most importantly, hit consistently throughout their life.

pj
chgo

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do mushroom, so do the Kamuis.

I just run them through the Williards and it's fine.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, you don't understand, Kamui tips don't mushroom because they are the Kamui chalk, so good you don't actually have to use them just have them in you case and you'll never miscue or miss another shot

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned Lincoln's and Pinto's. They both got me to the same place. I like Elk Masters, 65 cents, they have imbedded chalk, requires only a bit less chalking. Shaping is easy. I like the feel of the hit. Did I say I'm cheap, I am. Been playing 62 years and cue and bag cost less than a C Note.

Last edited:

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really only play with soft tips - used to use Kamui super softs extensively but made the switch to Elkmasters and haven't looked back.

The only issue I have with them is they tend to mushroom out when they're still fresh so you have to shape it a bit more often than other tips but once they settle I love them. Mushrooming isn't as big an issue for me because I cut about half the tip off immediately out of preference.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make my own version of milk duds:

Elk master soaked in a 20% carpenter glue/ 80% water solution for a couple of days, then pressed to 30lbs in my homemade tip press for a few more days, re-torquing to 30lbs periodically as the water gets pressed out.

Best of all worlds in my opinion. Dirt cheap, accepts chalk well, resists glazing, mushrooming, chipping/flaking, and deforming really well.

I really doubt I'll go back to layered tips any time soon.

Edit: I call them "Mick Duds".

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I tried LePro once and hated it just as much as every overpriced, overhyped layered tip I've ever used. Triangles are my favorite hands down. Won't ever use anything else.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you guys post threads like these, why dont you title them what they really are?

Single Layer Tip Lovers Get Together

:thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, you don't understand, Kamui tips don't mushroom because they are the Kamui chalk, so good you don't actually have to use them just have them in you case and you'll never miscue or miss another shot

And here I thought it was the whale blubber in between the layers.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you guys post threads like these, why dont you title them what they really are?

Single Layer Tip Lovers Get Together

:thumbup:

I disagree. The post should be why spend $30 on a useless tip when you can get one for less than $1. Most pool players can NOT tell the difference.

Reactions: CGM

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. The post should be why spend $30 on a useless tip when you can get one for less than $1. Most pool players can NOT tell the difference.

You just proved my point.

All you are really saying is, "I cant tell a difference, so Ill say most people cant and that makes me feel smarter than the people who can, because I spend less than they do."

Stick to shilling $600 projector systems and your instructor, cause everybody knows you cant learn how to play pool without either of those! :thumbup:

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make my own version of milk duds:

Elk master soaked in a 20% carpenter glue/ 80% water solution for a couple of days, then pressed to 30lbs in my homemade tip press for a few more days, re-torquing to 30lbs periodically as the water gets pressed out.

Best of all worlds in my opinion. Dirt cheap, accepts chalk well, resists glazing, mushrooming, chipping/flaking, and deforming really well.

I really doubt I'll go back to layered tips any time soon.

Edit: I call them "Mick Duds".

THANK YOU I have been wondering the solution for doing this with the carpenter glue instead of milk/goat milk.

I stand by milk-duds over any tip I've tried so far. I use elk-masters, however with a box of 50 tips only 1/5 pass my inspection.

Here is what I inspect to get the best consistency possible:
  1. Visual consistency. Is it Lopsided? Does it have scars in the leather? Is the grain visible on the bottom and is it uniform?
  2. Bounce - taking each tip and dropping them from the same height onto a hard surface - how does it bounce? I compare 3 that I think are "good" to establish what I think the bounce should be for all of them
  3. Sound - how does the tip sound when bounced off a hard surface? Flat dud? High pitched ping? Somewhere in the middle? If the sound is clearly different than the group of "good tips" I won't select it. To me this is a auditory indicator of density.
  4. Lastly - when soaking the tips do they float or sink? Floaters don't make the cut.

After I go through all 50 tips I generally end up with 9-12 tips that make the selection. These tips get soaked and pressed.

So far I have not had a "bad" tip using this process. I think this new information using the glue is the next level and will further increase the consistency of the tip vs. milk/goatmilk. :thumbup:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

All you are really saying is, "I cant tell a difference, so Ill say most people cant and that makes me feel smarter than the people who can, because I spend less than they do."

Stick to shilling $600 projector systems and your instructor, cause everybody knows you cant learn how to play pool without either of those! :thumbup:

The post is about tips. You can start a thread about hating training devices.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Lou Figueroa