Using Phone to Record Close Hits

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During a tourney a while back I was faced with a close hit and my opponent wanted someone to watch the hit. We agreed that a known knowledgeable player would watch the hit. So he walks over and then pulls out his phone to record it, to which I objected. This caused a bit of commotion. A few people questioned why would I not want the hit to be called accurately?

It wasn't until well after the match that my reasoning was understood. If phones are just being used to arbitrarily watch hits, then as the shooter -- you are giving up the "tie goes to the shooter' benefit every time a phone is used. So my argument was you either use a phone on all observed close hits or none at all.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter happens regardless of whether it’s judged by a referee, a player and his or her opponent, a group of pool folk gathered round a table, or technology. So it shouldn’t matter. I’m not convinced though about some arbitrary “knowledgeable pool guy” rocking up with a phone.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During a tourney a while back I was faced with a close hit and my opponent wanted someone to watch the hit. We agreed that a known knowledgeable player would watch the hit. So he walks over and then pulls out his phone to record it, to which I objected. This caused a bit of commotion. A few people questioned why would I not want the hit to be called accurately?

It wasn't until well after the match that my reasoning was understood. If phones are just being used to arbitrarily watch hits, then as the shooter -- you are giving up the "tie goes to the shooter' benefit every time a phone is used. So my argument was you either use a phone on all observed close hits or none at all.

Pay attention to snooker more often. The ref’s when incapable of calling the shot will ask for a replay, and a slo-mo if needed. Antiquated rules hurt the professionalism of the game. You didn’t want the possiblility of being called for a foul so you complained. It’s akin to cheating at that point.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I made a call last week....the phone said I was wrong.
....I think using a phone is a great idea......

....even if you aren't playing call shots ...:cool:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
We've talked about using the phone but haven't actually done it. Seems it would end some arguments right quick. I think it will become more common.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are missing my point. If the phone is just randomly used and only used while I'm shooting but not necessarily when my opponent is shooting then I'm at a disadvantage. All other things being equal and not even considering how often calls are wrong. Just arbitrarily taking away the shooter's benefit of the doubt can be a significant handicap.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are missing my point. If the phone is just randomly used and only used while I'm shooting but not necessarily when my opponent is shooting then I'm at a disadvantage. All other things being equal and not even considering how often calls are wrong. Just arbitrarily taking away the shooter's benefit of the doubt can be a significant handicap.
What stops you from using it when your opponent is shooting?

Then no one gets an advantage and the right call is more likely to be made. What can possibly be wrong with that?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then shouldn’t your complaint be that phones should be required to record all shots in slo-mo when being ref’d and not the manipulation of the rules you think might happen? And what is “the shooter’s benefit” anyways? Having people not qualified to watch shots is a much bigger problem than what you’re complaining about.

All I get from this is that you felt cheated because the shot was called correctly. But you don’t want to play by the rules, you want to cheat with the backing up of the rules.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
As a long time user of a "dumb" phone I have to ask....can a recorded video on a "smart" phone be played back in slow-motion?

If so, then absolutely use a phone to record close hits and remove all doubts.

Maniac (living in the dark ages)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighten up fellas.

Sure use the phone all the time for all I care but don't do this:

Playing in a team event...

One of their players is getting ready to shoot at a close hit so my teammate calls over the tourney director to watch the hit. So he comes over and watches the hit with his peepers and makes a tough call -- calling it good. Fast forward, I'm kicking at a ball and need someone to watch the hit and he pulls out his phone.

You guys don't see an issue with this scenario? With how many times I've heard and seen a ref be unsure what the right call is and playing in a team event -- I see an issue here.

Now I didn't make a huge deal out of it but just pointed out how the 2nd shooter (me) was at a disadvantage.

So either use the phone on all close hits or none at all is my position.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and Hits 'em Hard get out of here with questioning my integrity based on what I wrote. You should spend more time comprehending and less time judging.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and Hits 'em Hard get out of here with questioning my integrity based on what I wrote. You should spend more time comprehending and less time judging.

I’m comprehending exactly what you’re typing out. If you’re meaning to get a different message across, not my fault you aren’t getting it typed out correctly. I’m not a mind reader, I’m reading text you put down.

And to be straight up, you should have problems with the TD for not doing his job right. Not complaining about possible manipulation because of that. My history with people who object to the use of slo-mo is that they are less than ethical. You may not be, but your argument is not valid. And I don’t need slo-mo to call fouls correctly, it just cuts out all the arguments. I’ve cost multiple people matches because of all-mo, but have avoided plenty of arguments when someone sees how they fouled.

Maniac, not all smart phones have slo-mo. On my iPhone, I have a selection for just slo-mo. It’s a within the last 5 years addition to the software/camera on phones. Some androids have had slo-mo for much longer.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More and more sports have gone to instant replays to get the call correct. I see no problem with using technology when available.
I was playing a buddy of mine when a close hit situation arose. He said record it on his phone app and replay in slow-mo. It was amazing to see it on the screen. I would definitely prefer to use this instead of an arbitrary call by a blind zebra. JMHO

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When you have an urgent call to make...

E6B77FC3-DAD2-488E-9763-7C9E789B037D.jpeg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My guess is that knowledgeable player that was asked to judge the hit wasn't comfortable with having to make the call without having some backup proof. Perhaps he was buddies with both the players involved and didn't want to be put on the spot with making the call, which if that was the case he should have just expressed he didn't wish to get involved and let someone else make the call.

Last edited: