My Touch of Inside Experience

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Once you gain this repeatability, the deflection will make it possible to aim thick at the edge of a pocket and allow the deflection to thin the cut to the correct angle.
If I aim for center pocket then add the same amount of tip offset as you do, I have to adjust my aim thicker by the same amount as you to compensate for squirt. What's the difference in where we end up?

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch the vids and read the info CJ has put out about TOI, he stresses the stroke technique involved using the system. CJ's TOI depends on the user developing the correct stroke to make the system work. Done correctly the combination of tip offset and stroke will give a repeatable deflection. Once you gain this repeatability, the deflection will make it possible to aim thick at the edge of a pocket and allow the deflection to thin the cut to the correct angle. Smart idea, simple to understand and effective in use. Without the correct stroke technique it is just a small amount of english, but people who use and study the system know the difference.

I admit I'm not versed on the fine points of TOI, but I never understood how you can put a touch of inside english on the ball and say "TOI ain't english." The "Inside" of TOI means you are hitting off center from the vertical center axis. How is this not english? I understand that you are not looking for the english part to make TOI work. You are looking for the cue ball to squirt in order to thin the angle (what you call deflection)... but you still have a little inside english on the ball.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might not use it but a couple times every few racks, if at all. But when I am questioning cut angle of a certain shot it is a big help. :

If it's that good, why not use it all the time? Do you smack yourself upside the head when you miss a ball that poolology could have made or just reach into the wallet and pay the guy.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to get yourself all worked up and assume I'm talking about CTE. Lol. But I realize you can't help but to bring it into every aiming thread, or at least into every thread related to aiming systems. Now here's a "series" of "truth" for you:

I didn't see CTE mentioned in his post.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I wrote a book and I sell it for money. I'm an evil capitalist that believes in a system where people should pay for products created by someone else. I also believe in honest and open critiques of products so that others can decide for themselves whether or not any particular product is worth buying. On my youtube channel I don't block comments or hide my subscriber count in an effort to persuade nor mask other people's opinions. My product speaks for itself through those who've purchased it.

I'm guessing if you were hounded for 20 some years by unsubstantiated hate then you would certainly block comments on your youtube account.
But you don't stop from getting in a low blow here and there do you.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it's not my "own sense of reality" that proves whether or not any system is learned through subjective experience. It's common sense. It is how we learn anything that doesn't immediately work for us. If I show someone how to do something, anything, and they immediately do it as well I do it, then there is no subjective/individual experience required to successfully perform the task. It's an objective process. But if I show how to do it and the person struggles to get it, tries and tries and tries and just can't do it, says it's impossible or too hard, then there is an element they're missing, something I have that they don't when it comes to this particular task. That element is individual experience. If they keep working on it, they'll eventually learn how to do it through experience. That is subjective.

Things are systematic whether you learn them first try or not. Systems are everywhere. If the smart kid in class gets it right away but the dumb kid doesn't, that doesn't make it any less of a system, it's still a taught system regardless of how many tries it takes.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's that good, why not use it all the time? Do you smack yourself upside the head when you miss a ball that poolology could have made or just reach into the wallet and pay the guy.

Cookie. I know you are not that much of an imbecile to keep saying the bold over and over without already knowing the answer. You seem to be the one trying to stir the pot.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cookie. I know you are not that much of an imbecile to keep saying the bold over and over without already knowing the answer. You seem to be the one trying to stir the pot.

Really. Really Stir the pot. I'm nowhere near good enough at that to keep up with you guys. I asked the poster a simple question not you. Go away and finish reading.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing if you were hounded for 20 some years by unsubstantiated hate then you would certainly block comments on your youtube account.
But you don't stop from getting in a low blow here and there do you.

There are over a billion YouTube accounts. Which single one do you assume I'm talking about? Lol. There are thousands, if not millions, that block comments and either hide their subscriber count or falsify it with software. Either way, it's usually done to make you channel look more popular than it really is. I would never block comments for any reason. There's always aholes that want to leave crap comments, but they are such a minority it doesn't matter. I guess if the majority of comments are bad or negative, an account owner might want to disable the comment option though.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
If I aim for center pocket then add the same amount of tip offset as you do, I have to adjust my aim thicker by the same amount as you to compensate for squirt. What's the difference in where we end up?

pj
chgo

The best answer is to try it on the table and find out for yourself. Armchair quarterbacking will only get you part of the answer. Watch CJ play and read his posts here about the stroke he uses for TOI.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Things are systematic whether you learn them first try or not. Systems are everywhere. If the smart kid in class gets it right away but the dumb kid doesn't, that doesn't make it any less of a system, it's still a taught system regardless of how many tries it takes.

Some thinhs are systematic, some things aren't. Take two people of equal intelligence and learning ability. You could show them how to do something that takes no experience, something very objective that requires zero learned skill, and each will perform the task just as well as you. Now show them something you're good at because you've done it for years and had to develop the skills needed to do it properly. They will each have to work on this for quite some time before they can do it well. Maybe one won't work as hard and it'll take him longer to get it, if ever. Their success is subjective based on their individually developed experience, what they're willing to put into it. That's subjective learning, system or not.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
I admit I'm not versed on the fine points of TOI, but I never understood how you can put a touch of inside english on the ball and say "TOI ain't english." The "Inside" of TOI means you are hitting off center from the vertical center axis. How is this not english? I understand that you are not looking for the english part to make TOI work. You are looking for the cue ball to squirt in order to thin the angle (what you call deflection)... but you still have a little inside english on the ball.

You 'favor' the inside of the ball. The amount is very small, around 1/16 tip I believe, not sure. By favoring one side of the ball instead of trying to hit dead center, some people find it easier to use TOI. You should take it to the table and add the 'TOI stroke' to your arsenal. You won't learn any younger.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Yes it does have it's own stroke technique. If you had read a little about it you would have known that. I know it's tough to keep up with all the different systems but you should educate yourself about TOI before you make baseless claims about it. Tip offset + stroke technique = thinner cut. Pretty simple to use if you try it out for a while.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it does have it's own stroke technique. If you had read a little about it you would have known that. I know it's tough to keep up with all the different systems but you should educate yourself about TOI before you make baseless claims about it. Tip offset + stroke technique = thinner cut. Pretty simple to use if you try it out for a while.

C'mon dude, he makes baseless claims about almost every aiming tehnique or system that isn't ghostball, parallel aiming, double the distance and poolology, he can't possibly learn and try them all at the table first, that could take weeks, oh wait....

And now he'll say that there is no need, he already tried them in his head, which is a lot better than at the table, and they didn't work, so shame on you!!!

And now let's play grown-ups for a second, why do we have to do this same shit every now and then?
Does anyone still get an errection out of this?
Because I don't any more so can we stop it already?

Yeah, I know. We can't.

Happy 8th of March because you all act like woman, if men don't agree with something they don't argue about it for years.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...you should educate yourself about TOI before you make baseless claims about it.
You should make the effort to understand the “claim” before calling it baseless. The same old “you have to try it” refrain makes it pretty obvious you don’t (and is way too familiar here in the Magical Aiming Forum).

Demonstrate something more than “system bias” and your system might be taken more seriously.

pj
chgo