The Search Continues...

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still looking for a table. I have a question. Are there any other Brunswick tables that are built as well, and play as well as the Gold Crowns? Are any of their "furniture tables" that good?

Thanks,

jv

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm still looking for a table. I have a question. Are there any other Brunswick tables that are built as well, and play as well as the Gold Crowns? Are any of their "furniture tables" that good?

Thanks,

jv

I'm sure you know about the Anniversary and Centennial tables. One other very popular Brunswick commercial table was the Sport King. They are very solid boxes and if set up properly play great. Hard to find a good used one but they do come up from time to time.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you know about the Anniversary and Centennial tables. One other very popular Brunswick commercial table was the Sport King. They are very solid boxes and if set up properly play great. Hard to find a good used one but they do come up from time to time.

Thanks for your reply, Jay. Yes, I know and love both the Anniversary and Centennial tables, and would love to have one. Top of my list, but out of budget as they are usually found.

I was looking at the Gibson on another thread, and it looks like the same sub-frame as the Mission, another attractive table, but it seems the design and frame are weak; RKC noted that the frame sags, and most of the slate weight is borne by the frame ends, the rest of the slate resting on wedges or shims near the screw blocks. Too bad they didn't just beef up the sub-frame with larger timber.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Also, the Viscount ( GREAT table, inho ). I grew up playing on one. It was called the "Sun table" which I assumed, for many years, was the name of the model. In my early thirties I found out it was called 'Viscount" by Brunswick and the reason it had been called the "Sun" table was pretty simple. It was the table closest to the front doors which have small-ish windows in them and the sun, at a certain time of day, would shine directly through them onto the table.

viscount-02.jpg

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a ton of gold crowns from closed rooms out there... A sickening number went out of service in MA within the last 15 years.

Try asking the guys who were recommended for installation.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a ton of gold crowns from closed rooms out there... A sickening number went out of service in MA within the last 15 years.

Try asking the guys who were recommended for installation.

That's a good idea. One place near me with 12 Gold Crowns closed in February. I missed the auction, but was told one guy who owns a room bought all of them.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Murray made a pretty good table, not sure of the model.
Olhauson makes a good table, tough pockets with deep shelf.
Gandy sportsman and Big G were mainstream tables for a lot
Of rooms.

Lot of options for you....good setup person is paramount.

Td

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

jv

One other Brunswick table that played good was the Medalist, a less expensive commercial table than the Gold Crown.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thanks,

jv

There's quite a few cheap GCs that can be found, only problem is none are in the $100 dollar price range...LOL

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other Brunswick table that played good was the Medalist, a less expensive commercial table than the Gold Crown.

I like those a lot. One place I played a lot had 34 of them. Two 9 footers and the rest 8 footers.

What was that Brunswick table you used to have that looked like the Anniversary only it was all wood? That might be happy compromise for the thread starter.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I won't even work on a Medalist, they're to cheaply built. No leg leveling system, frame isn't worth a shit, nail in side pockets, formica separates from the rails, not worth my time. And yes, I have worked on them in the past, but they're on my no fly list now.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like those a lot. One place I played a lot had 34 of them. Two 9 footers and the rest 8 footers.

What was that Brunswick table you used to have that looked like the Anniversary only it was all wood? That might be happy compromise for the thread starter.

That was a Brunswick Gibson table, an updated copy of the Anniversary. It was a good, solid table to play but the Cobra will probably tell me why I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That was a Brunswick Gipson table, an updated copy of the Anniversary. It was a good, solid table to play but the Cobra will probably tell me why I'm wrong. :)

2"×6" standing upright don't make a good frame, they can't help but sag under the weight of the slate.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a mechanic, but aren’t there probably at least 10 times as many GC’s out in the field than all other commercial tables combined?

Wouldn’t that make it much easier to find a used GC than any other table?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could’ve sworn there were 10 GC’s for sale in
the ‘for sale’ section.. (?)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I’m not a mechanic, but aren’t there probably at least 10 times as many GC’s out in the field than all other commercial tables combined?

Wouldn’t that make it much easier to find a used GC than any other table?

Not when you're looking in the $100 or less price range🤪

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha. Well if the OP is looking for $100 tables, the only choice is a furniture table bought by a banger and now just wants it out of the house because he never plays it and the wife wants to put a dining room table there.

The only people who buy GC’s are us. Serious wannabe players (regardless of our level).

Just save up until you have 3k or 4K, and buy the table from your local mechanic with a good rep. And have it delivered and refurbished with new cushions for that price.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ha ha. Well if the OP is looking for $100 tables, the only choice is a furniture table bought by a banger and now just wants it out of the house because he never plays it and the wife wants to put a dining room table there.

The only people who buy GC’s are us. Serious wannabe players (regardless of our level).

Just save up until you have 3k or 4K, and buy the table from your local mechanic with a good rep. And have it delivered and refurbished with new cushions for that price.

You'll NEVER beat cheap🤣😂