Why do some folks not wanna be known on here?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people are more familiar with the short version of the serenity prayer, "Fu*k it!"

Replying to your earlier post, not flat earthers but people that couldn't grasp how an inclined plane and gravity worked. Kinda like discussing mass and effective mass on here.

Hu

Is that the one with the plane on the treadmill?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Well shoot, if all mass isn't effective, I'm going to start spending my Sunday mornings elsewhere.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
An impossibility to begin with

Is that the one with the plane on the treadmill?

The way the airplane on the treadmill is usually written up is an impossible condition to exist to begin with.

This was a matter of how far a 73,500 grain rifle would move while a 65 grain bullet moved 21 inches in the barrel. They quickly arrived at what would happen in a vacuum and insisted that number was an absolute. The rifle sits on a front rest with adjustable jaws that can be gripped with a wide range of pressure. The height of the targets vary at different ranges and distances so the angle of the stock changes. In addition, different stocks and actions need different angles on the bags to be pointed at the same target height. Some are fairly straight while others have substantially more angle.

Despite all of the above variables and perhaps a few more the contention was that the rifle would always move backwards .09" when the bullet left the muzzle. It was impossible for it to move more or less because PHYSICS decreed an equal and opposite reaction. The only acceptable variable was the differences in weight/mass of the gun and bullet. These rifles are shot free recoil with no contact other than the finger on the trigger so the shoulder and human mass doesn't come into play, unless the shoulder is too close.

Some of the smartest people I ever met shot benchrest. Then there were others. . . .

Hu

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yes I’m really him. The DJ you all know and love.

It would be cool to know who is who just because I’m a curious type, but not curious enough to go looking, and I get it for people who aren’t pros or well known types...it’s only a risk without even the little bit of fame or whatevs

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
neither mass nor sunday school

Well shoot, if all mass isn't effective, I'm going to start spending my Sunday mornings elsewhere.

I have to admit neither mass or sunday school took with me. I have spent a lot more sundays fishing than in church!

The usual mass argument goes about like this: Is it better to be hit with a feather floating in the air or a feather on the face of a 2000 pound wrecking ball moving thirty miles an hour? Some realize that the wrecking ball comes into play also, some maintain a feather is a feather, it doesn't matter!

Hu

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I have to admit neither mass or sunday school took with me. I have spent a lot more sundays fishing than in church!

The usual mass argument goes about like this: Is it better to be hit with a feather floating in the air or a feather on the face of a 2000 pound wrecking ball moving thirty miles an hour? Some realize that the wrecking ball comes into play also, some maintain a feather is a feather, it doesn't matter!

Hu

That would tickle!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I read the airplane meme it was not an impossible condition, but I'm not going to start that conversation here. Maybe a thread needs to be started for that one.

As far as the rifle movement goes, the rifle would not move a consistent .09"., but like above, not here, link to thread?

The way the airplane on the treadmill is usually written up is an impossible condition to exist to begin with.

This was a matter of how far a 73,500 grain rifle would move while a 65 grain bullet moved 21 inches in the barrel. They quickly arrived at what would happen in a vacuum and insisted that number was an absolute. The rifle sits on a front rest with adjustable jaws that can be gripped with a wide range of pressure. The height of the targets vary at different ranges and distances so the angle of the stock changes. In addition, different stocks and actions need different angles on the bags to be pointed at the same target height. Some are fairly straight while others have substantially more angle.

Despite all of the above variables and perhaps a few more the contention was that the rifle would always move backwards .09" when the bullet left the muzzle. It was impossible for it to move more or less because PHYSICS decreed an equal and opposite reaction. The only acceptable variable was the differences in weight/mass of the gun and bullet. These rifles are shot free recoil with no contact other than the finger on the trigger so the shoulder and human mass doesn't come into play, unless the shoulder is too close.

Some of the smartest people I ever met shot benchrest. Then there were others. . . .

Hu

Yes I’m really him. The DJ you all know and love.

It would be cool to know who is who just because I’m a curious type, but not curious enough to go looking, and I get it for people who aren’t pros or well known types...it’s only a risk without even the little bit of fame or whatevs

EDIT: Proof or it's a lie!

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Chili I’m on the Ghost challenge...I’ve had a little work done since my last show so don’t too surprised.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Npr

The way I read the airplane meme it was not an impossible condition, but I'm not going to start that conversation here. Maybe a thread needs to be started for that one.

As far as the rifle movement goes, the rifle would not move a consistent .09"., but like above, not here, link to thread?

The rifle thread is a few decades old if it is still available. NPR is the forum here on AZB for all matters not pool related. It is a fine place to talk about rifle recoil, feathers on wrecking balls, and airplanes on treadmills.

One of my weaknesses, once a tread has pretty much played out on the original topic I am often one of the posters helping it wander. Sometimes it wanders all the way back to where it started!

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
just a teaser

Here is the answer to the airplane in a treadmill:th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Q83yxdDaI

Just to lighten things up for those people desperately trying to out the anonymous posters ;-)

They never show what happens. However, there is no drive power to the airplane's wheels. They are free spinning unless the brakes are on. The airplane prop is pushing against air and no matter how fast the belt moves, that ground level air speed stays the same.

It is impossible for a conveyor belt to match the speed of the wheels because the wheels will always be moving at the speed of the belt plus the ground speed of the airplane.

The airplane flies. So does a jet.

Hu

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people are more familiar with the short version of the serenity prayer, "Fu*k it!"

Replying to your earlier post, not flat earthers but people that couldn't grasp how an inclined plane and gravity worked. Kinda like discussing mass and effective mass on here.

Hu

You know the slate of a pool table that is not level is an inclined plane:grin-square:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know the slate of a pool table that is not level is an inclined plane:grin-square:

But could you play a cue ball if you installed a conveyor belt on it running in the opposite direction?

Or does a cue ball take off on a jump shot with the same installation and where would it land? :)))

Need to call my cat ... needs food ... HEY, SCHRODINGER, where are you ...

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
But could you play a cue ball if you installed a conveyor belt on it running in the opposite direction?

Or does a cue ball take off on a jump shot with the same installation and where would it land? :)))

Need to call my cat ... needs food ... (HEY, SCHRODINGER, where are you ...

he’s here.....and there

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm just too lazy to search through all that bull-shit to look for an airplane thread :)

PS: And too lazy to start my own :)

The rifle thread is a few decades old if it is still available. NPR is the forum here on AZB for all matters not pool related. It is a fine place to talk about rifle recoil, feathers on wrecking balls, and airplanes on treadmills.

One of my weaknesses, once a tread has pretty much played out on the original topic I am often one of the posters helping it wander. Sometimes it wanders all the way back to where it started!

Hu

They never show what happens. However, there is no drive power to the airplane's wheels. They are free spinning unless the brakes are on. The airplane prop is pushing against air and no matter how fast the belt moves, that ground level air speed stays the same.

It is impossible for a conveyor belt to match the speed of the wheels because the wheels will always be moving at the speed of the belt plus the ground speed of the airplane.

Hu

I knew the plane flew, I'm amazed at how many "smart" people don't.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• sammysosa.0.jpg
    sammysosa.0.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 203

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Hu

I'm amazed this was ever even a question. Do people really just plain not understand how flight works?