Justin Bergman said he'll play anyone for $10K min.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It can be part of the training
Jason

No it can't, all it does is teaches a player they can start out slow, and still win in the long run. In tourna.tournaments you MUST come out the starting blocks firing on ALL cylinders with the intent to win EVERY game.....because there is NO come from behind, and world class tournament player KNOW that!!!

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i remember in one of Efren's interviews, in the 80's when they would look for players to gamble with in the US, he said, "I dont care who you are, i will play you..."

realkingcobra

Silver Member
i remember in one of Efren's interviews, in the 80's when they would look for players to gamble with in the US, he said, "I dont care who you are, i will play you..."

And was willing to give up weight if needed, not demand it as part of the stipulations of playing before hand!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
No it can't, all it does is teaches a player they can start out slow, and still win in the long run. In tourna.tournaments you MUST come out the starting blocks firing on ALL cylinders with the intent to win EVERY game.....because there is NO come from behind, and world class tournament player KNOW that!!!

If you're talking about a race to 100 - you're talking about the only American player(Shane). If you're talking about a race to 10, 20, 50, 100, who are you talking about agian?
Jason

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you're talking about a race to 100 - you're talking about the only American player(Shane). If you're talking about a race to 10, 20, 50, 100, who are you talking about agian?
Jason

Anyone, because a player can still afford to start slow, and come from behind, or play multiple sets to win. The longer they play, the more they can figure out the strength and weaknesses of the other player. In tournaments you don't have that luxury!!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Anyone, because a player can still afford to start slow, and come from behind, or play multiple sets to win. The longer they play, the more they can figure out the strength and weaknesses of the other player. In tournaments you don't have that luxury!!!

And all I'm saying is Berg had a shit week - it doesnt resemble his normal game at all. Dechaine had a shit week also, I'm not betting against either one.
Jason

Thanks for posting though, I like your opinion!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I don't believe top 16 at the US Open carries more weight than MOT at Derby City. Since Sky had a bad hour or two he can't play in your eyes. I call BS.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe Bergman was sandbagging at the US Open so now players are lining up to gamble him.

The only person he would be sandbagging in that context would be himself. You make it to the top people want to pay to play you, buy you stuff, give you freebies. It’s actually possible that he could make money out of entering the US Open and not doing so well in it, but that’s not why he or anyone else enters it. They either enter it as dead money for the experience or to test themselves, or as players with an A game that can take it down if the wind blows kindly.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The only person he would be sandbagging in that context would be himself. You make it to the top people want to pay to play you, buy you stuff, give you freebies. It’s actually possible that he could make money out of entering the US Open and not doing so well in it, but that’s not why he or anyone else enters it. They either enter it as dead money for the experience or to test themselves, or as players with an A game that can take it down if the wind blows kindly.
Pretty much with the exception of SVB, EVERY American player who entered was dead money. Seems to be the future of Professional pool players in our country, dead money!!

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much with the exception of SVB, EVERY American player who entered was dead money. Seems to be the future of Professional pool players in our country, dead money!!

This is a silly comment.

and the pitiful Americans will never win another Mosconi Cup...

Dennis Hatch can take a year off and make a deep run. Billy Thorpe with wins over Chang Yu Lung. Tyler Styer led Ko for much of the match as did Billy over Can. All of these are dead money?

What about Kazakis, Orcullo, Kaci, alcaide, albin? They dead money too?

In a race to 11, winner breaks, ONE missed position by a couple of inches often times changes the entire complexion of a match. Or a slop in could secure a win. Way too many variables to flippantly write off talent like Thorpe, Woodward, Bergman, Heck even part time American Players like Hatch, Ellerman, Jeremy Jones, etc. made a strong showing..

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is a silly comment.

Dennis Hatch can take a year off and make a deep run. Billy Thorpe with wins over Chang Yu Lung. Tyler Styer led Ko for much of the match as did Billy over Can. All of these are dead money?

Like the old saying goes...the cream of the crop will always rise to the top!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is a silly comment.

In a race to 11, winner breaks, ONE missed position by a couple of inches often times changes the entire complexion of a match. Or a slop in could secure a win. Way too many variables to flippantly write off talent like Thorpe, Woodward, Bergman, Heck even part time American Players like Hatch, Ellerman, Jeremy Jones, etc. made a strong showing..

A strong showing don't pay worth a shit! Tell me something, why don't we have 10 more American players playing at SVB"S level, lack of practice, devotion, hard work, gambling....or maybe this just isn't an American sport anymore! Maybe the US Open 9b should be changed to the Foreign Players Open 9b....oh, and American players can add their dead money as much as they want....for the chance to play the better players from around the world!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Excuse me for asking, but when was the last time an American pool player won a world title in ANY pool event?

And of those players you just listed, how many are American, and have any if them won world titles?

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A strong showing don't pay worth a shit! Tell me something, why don't we have 10 more American players playing at SVB"S level, lack of practice, devotion, hard work, gambling....or maybe this just isn't an American sport anymore! Maybe the US Open 9b should be changed to the Foreign Players Open 9b....oh, and American players can add their dead money as much as they want....for the chance to play the better players from around the world!!

A strong showing don't pay worth a shit! Neither does 1st place! Many players from foreign countries receive stipends from the govt that allows them to play full time without having to worry about the nut. If there was enough money in pool many U.S. players would come out of the woodwork and elevate their games.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A strong showing don't pay worth a shit! Neither does 1st place! Many players from foreign countries receive stipends from the govt that allows them to play full time without having to worry about the nut. If there was enough money in pool many U.S. players would come out of the woodwork and elevate their games.

That's plain ass bullshit! NOTHING is stopping ANY American player from improving their skills....except practicing and training NOT to lose! If SVB can do it, WHAT'S stopping 10 other players from doing the same damn thing?????

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares where they are from? This ain’t about inventing some new kind of glue that holds “America” together, it’s about opening up an iconic longstanding US based tournament to the world’s best pool players and the world’s best pool audience. And from there we build.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Who cares where they are from? This ain’t about inventing some new kind of glue that holds “America” together, it’s about opening up an iconic longstanding US based tournament to the world’s best pool players and the world’s best pool audience. And from there we build.

Now that right there is funny!! The US Open has ALWAYS been open to the world, the problem is, the world of players have PASSED up the AMERICAN players because they've sat on their ass for far to long thinking gambling made the best players in the world!!!

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me why don't we have 10 more Pinoys playing at De Lunas level. Because out of the 10 or 11 Pinoys, he is the only one still standing.

Do you honestly believe that on any given day, Skyler couldn't beat SVB? You don't think Thorpe has what it takes to beat Orcullo? Does Mike Dechaine have the game to beat Ignacio?

The point is, these are all world class players that have the game to beat each other on any given day. Just as has happened in this tournament.

Yes there is a lot of American "Dead Money" Some do it for the experience, some do it for the fun, some maybe do it looking for that Rocky Balboa moment. But to call proven world class American players "Dead Money" is disingenuous. Have a little pride in our guys.