Cuetec Cynergy shaft, new

Bob J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received my Cynergy shaft and while I've only hit a few balls with it, it appears to be exactly as advertised. I ordered it to fit a Scorpion cue that happens to be perfectly straight and balanced exactly the way I like it.

1) I was wondering why the shipping package was over 3 lbs. The box the shaft comes in weighs 2.35 lbs and probably adds $50 to the price of the shaft!! Pretty fancy packaging. The shaft itself weighs 3.8 oz, bringing my usually 19.5 oz cue down to 19.2 oz.

2) The shaft is perfectly straight. This cue I hand picked from a selection of 4 or 5 cues. It's balanced the way I want and is as straight as any cue I own.

3) The hit of the shaft feels softer than what I'm used to, but the cue ball action tells me I'm getting more spin with less effort. I'll screw around with the Sniper tip for awhile, but I'm used to a good ol' hard Triangle non-layered. I haven't played with the deflection properties yet, but will mess with that later this evening. In the meantime, I feel like I'm hitting accurately with it straight out of the box.

4) The finish is very nice and it actually looks really good on the Scorpion NT05 with the cherry looking fake finish and a black leather wrap. If I like it as much as I think I'm going to, I may have to add another one to my case. Might wait for the production to meet the demand though!

Back to the table!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3) The hit of the shaft feels softer than what I'm used to, but the cue ball action tells me I'm getting more spin with less effort.

Ok Pal,

This won't be tolerated!

Even though I agree with you, the "pool scientists" will say it ISN'T SO.

They will tell you "it's all in your head".

If you invite them to come to the table with you and play some, so that you can show them, they will tell you that they are too busy calibrating their protractors, slide rules, and other technical instruments.

Go back and edit your post before they swarm you with calculations and equations.

Good luck with your new purchase. It sounds like you will have fun with it.

Aloha

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Pal,

This won't be tolerated!

Even though I agree with you, the "pool scientists" will say it ISN'T SO.

They will tell you "it's all in your head".

If you invite them to come to the table with you and play some, so that you can show them, they will tell you that they are too busy calibrating their protractors, slide rules, and other technical instruments.

Go back and edit your post before they swarm you with calculations and equations.

Good luck with your new purchase. It sounds like you will have fun with it.

Aloha

2nd this!!

Yep, I love playing pool scientist. They usually "know" but, cant "do"....

Then again, I got my a55 handed to me by a pool scientist not to long ago. Then, about a week later, I found out he wasn't a pool scientist and only pretend to be one.

He was using it as a hustle that works very well for him.

I wont, just like you wouldn't, say who he is and blow his cover eventhough, he got me.

He had me giving him weight :eek: when in reality, we play very close to even:angry:

I got over it though. It was yet "another" learning experience for me.

We all, regardless of what we "think" we know, can be taught a lesson.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Don't let the Luddites discourage you - it doesn't have to hurt your feelings this much to learn something.

The only difference a cue can make in generating spin is that it can deliver the power of your stroke a little more efficiently, creating more RPMs. That also creates a little more CB speed, so the spin-to-speed ratio doesn't change - and it's that ratio that determines the effect of spin (how much the rebound angle changes off a rail), which is the important part.

But there are exceptions - when the CB is slowed down significantly by hitting an OB, its spin isn't slowed down nearly as much, so the spin/speed ratio (and the spin's effectiveness) increases. This means that more power can increase draw and follow in particular, and even the effect of side spin if the CB hits the OB pretty full.

Of course you can do the same things with any cue by just stroking a little harder.

pj
chgo

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't worry about the soft hit. That Sniper tip will harden up in no time and feel much better to you.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TOOOOOTALLY agree.
I came across on kind of by chance as I had no real determination on getting a carbon shaft. I have no made the full switch and not used my custom since picking this thing up, to the point where my friends are shocked as they have never seen me without a custom cue.
I am now even more motivated to having my tuxedo made just to go with the black shaft. That cuetec shaft hits like a dream and the difference was instant and noticeable

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Don't worry about the soft hit. That Sniper tip will harden up in no time and feel much better to you.

Is that a thing with them? I decided to leave the sniper on when I ordered but man it felt like I had a marshmallow on the end on me cue. I live by my excellent ability to draw the ball, sometimes many feet...sometimes just inches but I can snatch it very quickly where most people would bet it could not be snatched. But I couldn’t do a lot of my normal things wih that tip. I gave it about 2 months of the old college try but I just couldn’t quite work it. I’ve got a black medium again and now I’m like “ahhhh”

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that a thing with them? I decided to leave the sniper on when I ordered but man it felt like I had a marshmallow on the end on me cue. I live by my excellent ability to draw the ball, sometimes many feet...sometimes just inches but I can snatch it very quickly where most people would bet it could not be snatched. But I couldn’t do a lot of my normal things wih that tip. I gave it about 2 months of the old college try but I just couldn’t quite work it. I’ve got a black medium again and now I’m like “ahhhh”

If you search Sniper tips on AZ. You will find that is the most commented thing against them. But in your case it will be to you benefit.

I have a Kamikaze Elite Med on my Ob shaft. It is a little softer than the Black Med. It is ferming up nicely.

I am waiting for a Member of my Team that just got a new Cynergy shaft to get the Sniper tip broken in so I can try it and see weather I want one or not.

I have shot with a Revo 12.4 shaft with a Toam Soft tip and when it got used to the feel. I fell in love with it. But it just feels weird.

But in all of the posts about CF Shafts no one has mentioned that you can curve a ball with them. The 12.4 that I tried has low deflection but I can Curved the cue ball with ease, just like a regular wood shaft.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If you search Sniper tips on AZ. You will find that is the most commented thing against them. But in your case it will be to you benefit.

I have a Kamikaze Elite Med on my Ob shaft. It is a little softer than the Black Med. It is ferming up nicely.

I am waiting for a Member of my Team that just got a new Cynergy shaft to get the Sniper tip broken in so I can try it and see weather I want one or not.

I have shot with a Revo 12.4 shaft with a Toam Soft tip and when it got used to the feel. I fell in love with it. But it just feels weird.

But in all of the posts about CF Shafts no one has mentioned that you can curve a ball with them. The 12.4 that I tried has low deflection but I can Curved the cue ball with ease, just like a regular wood shaft.

Yeah I can curve the ball just fine with the cynergy. And even with that sniper tip I could jump full cue with it. I love the thing. I got out of a real nice trap with a jump kick the other day that will remain on my mental highlight reel forevs.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... in all of the posts about CF Shafts no one has mentioned that you can curve a ball with them. The 12.4 that I tried has low deflection but I can Curved the cue ball with ease, just like a regular wood shaft.
I've never had trouble masseing with my very low squirt shaft, but jumping with it is a nightmare. The dynamics of masse and jumping seem similar, so your comment makes me wonder if I'd notice an improvement masseing with a high squirt shaft.

I feel an experiment coming on...

pj
chgo

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've tried most of the carbon fiber shafts now with the exception of go customs, Mezz ignite & Pechauer.

They all felt good to me except the Cynergy. It's the only CF shaft I've sold so far. Hated the tip and changed it but still didn't like the hit or feel comfortable with it.

As much as I'm enjoying some of the others so far, I keep going back to the 12.4mm Revo. Has the best feel for me, makes me more confident that I won't miss and even though there are arguments that any shaft differs in spin, I feel the Revo makes everything a little easier.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a person cant curve the CB with a cue just because its LD, well, they need to work on their stroke.

Dont know what else to say about it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Curving around a ball is not an issue with LD shafts, but jumping is like 30% of what a standard shaft can do if that. Must need a very different contact point to jump with those.

All the carbon fiber shafts outside of the Revo and Mezz felt and played a lot like the other LD shafts, which I think totally defeats the purpose of one. Why get a new shaft for $200 more when the one you have has the same feel and performance? Both Meucci and Cuetec felt the same as my wood LD shafts.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Curving around a ball is not an issue with LD shafts, but jumping is like 30% of what a standard shaft can do if that. Must need a very different contact point to jump with those.

All the carbon fiber shafts outside of the Revo and Mezz felt and played a lot like the other LD shafts, which I think totally defeats the purpose of one. Why get a new shaft for $200 more when the one you have has the same feel and performance? Both Meucci and Cuetec felt the same as my wood LD shafts.

For me it is because the cutec plays like a wood shaft that I like it so much. It’s basically a fine,smooth,comfortable and well performing shaft that I needed no real adjustment with and in theory will last forever without warps or dings. If I was a “changer” type maybe it wouldn’t be worth it but I like finding something that works and riding it till the wheels fall off so if it holds up I’ll put 20 years on the mother.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is because the cutec plays like a wood shaft that I like it so much. It’s basically a fine,smooth,comfortable and well performing shaft that I needed no real adjustment with and in theory will last forever without warps or dings. If I was a “changer” type maybe it wouldn’t be worth it but I like finding something that works and riding it till the wheels fall off so if it holds up I’ll put 20 years on the mother.

But if it plays the same as the other shafts you play with, why bother spending the money on it? I have kept a wood shaft for decades without much issue, for me the fact that the thing is made from a harder material is no reason at all to get another shaft, unless it's actually an improvement. Unless you have no other shafts and need a new one and want to spend $200 extra.

I like playing with a Revo, but because it does things differently when I hit the cuebball than my other shafts.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

First off....congrats to the OP for the new purchase. I'm glad that he loves his cue. It's always nice when a plan comes together.

About the Sniper tip:

1.) Am I the only person on the planet that prefers them???

2.) Why would a soft tip impede drawing the cue ball? More bite=more spin? Back in his heyday, Efren used Elk Masters on his cues and he certainly had no problems moving his cue ball around.

Maniac (draws just fine with his Sniper/OB Classic shaft combo)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why would a soft tip impede drawing the cue ball? More bite=more spin?
1. I don't think a soft tip has "more bite" (although it may not miscue as easily).

2. A soft tip can cushion the tip/ball impact, decreasing the power transferred to the CB, reducing RPMs/draw/follow.

pj
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
First off....congrats to the OP for the new purchase. I'm glad that he loves his cue. It's always nice when a plan comes together.

About the Sniper tip:

1.) Am I the only person on the planet that prefers them???

2.) Why would a soft tip impede drawing the cue ball? More bite=more spin? Back in his heyday, Efren used Elk Masters on his cues and he certainly had no problems moving his cue ball around.

Maniac (draws just fine with his Sniper/OB Classic shaft combo)

Yeah for me I just had to put a lot more into my stroke to get the same draw results that’s all. I still could do it but it changed things.

And to hang the 9, my 314 is like a mini mine field after 18 months. A few nicks I know where they came from but A bunch I would just randomly discover while stroking and I just hated them. They distracted me and So when I saw dr Dave beating his Revo against things wih no nicks I decided to go carbon fiber. After being on a waitlist for months for the Revo I said screw it and tried the cuetec and it was like my 314 with no nicks lol. Pricey sure but if it’s the last shaft I need it’s worth it.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
1. I don't think a soft tip has "more bite" (although it may not miscue as easily).
pj
chgo

Not trying to argue (really, just trying to learn), but wouldn't miscuing less easily allow you to get lower on the cue ball, even if is a small fraction lower?

Maniac

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Not trying to argue (really, just trying to learn), but wouldn't miscuing less easily allow you to get lower on the cue ball, even if is a small fraction lower?

Maniac
Maybe - but then the loss of power due to the cushioning effect counteracts that. All things considered, I doubt that there's a spin advantage with a soft tip.

pj
chgo