how are ya'll doing in league ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A goofy game, designed for league players. You rack up 4 solids and 4 stripes, with the 8 ball. Racked like 9 ball, but the stripes and solids go in a specific pattern. In napa, if you break and make the 8 only it is spotted and you lose your shot, make a ball and the 8 it just spots.

You take what you make, scratch on the break it is open from the kitchen. Played like ball in hand 8 ball after the break. Very easy to run a rack obviously since you only have to make a total of 5 balls.

Get a good break where you make a ball of each, a run out is cake walk. Safety play is tough since you only have a few balls on the table, and even bad players will run a rack. It is played in napa as alternate break.

For instance, I've got a 8-3 race the other day, up 7-0 and opponent breaks and runs a rack. Which cost me a shut out and additional points.

I will say it does make the league go quick, most matches are over in 15 minutes or less.

That sounds like fun, I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Bryce1552

Registered
Just out of curiosity how long does an average APA night last, I work overnights and I have to be at work by 8 and most nights they start at 6PM is it feasible for me to join?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity how long does an average APA night last, I work overnights and I have to be at work by 8 and most nights they start at 6PM is it feasible for me to join?

You can ask your captain to play you first but if they win the flip and put up a 2 first and you're a 6 it's, generally, not kosher to play a 6 against a 2 so you would have to wait until the second match to play, that SL2 match could easily be 45 30-45 minutes, then your match will be the same, so now you're talking 7:30 if all goes well.

If you win the toss and put up first then you'd be out of there with enough time.

As long as your captain is good with playing you first I say go for it, if you're ever late for work then re-evaluate.

Not sure if your work is flexible but back in the 90's I would take the "early" shift and show up at 5am but on Friday's my boss and I would flip and he would show up at 5am and I would show up at 8 because league was on Thursday.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Im not on a team yet but tonight in a tournament i beat a bca 7 2-0 in a tournament

He wasn't happy

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not on a team yet but tonight in a tournament i beat a bca 7 2-0 in a tournament

He wasn't happy

7’s are in a funny spot, and I’m assuming 8B, because it seems like some only get there because they have been playing league a long time but since they’re 7’s they think they should never lose so they get butthurt when they do.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Managed to win the fast 8 session by a few points. Ended up going 11-4. Be the last weekly pool I play until the fall.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He wasn't happy

Any update on joining a team?

Managed to win the fast 8 session by a few points. Ended up going 11-4. Be the last weekly pool I play until the fall.

Good job. I still haven't played that game.

I'm 1 for 2 so far this season as an SL9. See how it pans out this year. I did find out I'm getting an award for BCA 8B last session. Not sure what it's for, will find out this Saturday.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got to league at 7:15 last night for our 7:30 start time. As usual 2 of my players are playing each other in practice time....free pool for 2 hours before league starts.

It got starting time and no one from the other team was there. Made some texts and found this it they are in 9 ball tri cups. Sure appreciated the heads up from all parties involved.

I got ready to leave and thought...what the heck....practice some so as to make the 45 minute trip worthwhile. So I play the kid I have mentioned before on here that was raised to a 6 after beating a 7 by 3-0 in 6 innings. The kid went on to be lowered back to a 5 after a couple weeks.

So I start out on a 5-0 run on him and I guess got lackadaisical and he started winning a few. Later on I asked what he thought the score might be . He replied it was 10-6 me. I said no way. I know I have not racked 6 times. He said lets start keeping score so I grabbed a pen and and used the back of our unused scoresheet.

We started at zero and I went on to win 10-3 before suggesting we switch to 9 ball. That beating I gave him reaffirmed my opinion he never should have been raised to a 6.

It just so happened that as he was racking the first rack of 9 ball a team mate comes back and says he wants to olay also. So we agree the winner keeps the table and the loser sits out for the 3rd guy. So I am 6...the other player that just showed is a 6 and the kid is a 5. When it got to 12:00 I said I am outa here...tired from a hard day at work and my 64 year old feet are killing me. I had won 6 at that point...the other 6 had 4 wins and the kid had zero. They kept on playing after I left. On the way out I told them to keep practicing and one day they may be as good as me. :grin-square:

That is the first time I have ever spent any time practicing. I have always just showed up...figured out my line up for the night and took my cues out when I decided to match up. Last night kind of lit a lil fire in me to start showing up early and get a lil practice in once in a while.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pulled up our apa website to see who we played tonight and figure out our line up.

While there I looked up my lifetime stats just for curiosity's sake

8 ball....860 matches....50% with a 1.98 defensive average

9 ball...732 matches....52% with a 1.28 defensive average

I have not played masters continuously since joining and for some reason they break it down each year and do not give a lifetime record.

2018 ...46%
2017....43 %
2016...30%
2015....50%

I never knew I had a 50% win record in my first year and find it very odd that it would also be my best year so far. After mulling it over I think I may have a logical explanation. Back then I was playing my best 8 ball and was a 6 at the time.....have dropped back to a 5 since then. It seems my thought process on pattern play has diminished over time ....old age lol. I always chose to start out with 8 ball as i felt it was my better game and also better players were less likely to run out on me vs 9 ball. I felt if I could win 3out of 5 8 ball before we switched to 9 ball it increased my chances of winning the match.

Other than the 30% in 2016 I dont think I have done too bad for an apa 5/6 playing against some of the best in our town in an even race to 7.

Actually it gives me the incentive to rejoin the division now . New session is just starting up.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I pulled up our apa website to see who we played tonight and figure out our line up.

While there I looked up my lifetime stats just for curiosity's sake

8 ball....860 matches....50% with a 1.98 defensive average

9 ball...732 matches....52% with a 1.28 defensive average

I have not played masters continuously since joining and for some reason they break it down each year and do not give a lifetime record.

2018 ...46%
2017....43 %
2016...30%
2015....50%

I never knew I had a 50% win record in my first year and find it very odd that it would also be my best year so far. After mulling it over I think I may have a logical explanation. Back then I was playing my best 8 ball and was a 6 at the time.....have dropped back to a 5 since then. It seems my thought process on pattern play has diminished over time ....old age lol. I always chose to start out with 8 ball as i felt it was my better game and also better players were less likely to run out on me vs 9 ball. I felt if I could win 3out of 5 8 ball before we switched to 9 ball it increased my chances of winning the match.

Other than the 30% in 2016 I dont think I have done too bad for an apa 5/6 playing against some of the best in our town in an even race to 7.

Actually it gives me the incentive to rejoin the division now . New session is just starting up.

I'm having trouble doing the math.

Your percentage for the combined 8 & 9-ball matches should be around 51%. Your best posted record (2015) was only 50% with the percentages going downhill after that. How do those lower percentages equate to a 51% winning record if your best season was only 50%?

Also...are you referring to Masters League when you state that you're playing the best in your town in an even race to seven?

If the entire post is referring to Masters League, then I'd say you should be satisfied with your win-loss record.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having trouble doing the math.

Your percentage for the combined 8 & 9-ball matches should be around 51%. Your best posted record (2015) was only 50% with the percentages going downhill after that. How do those lower percentages equate to a 51% winning record if your best season was only 50%?

Also...are you referring to Masters League when you state that you're playing the best in your town in an even race to seven?

If the entire post is referring to Masters League, then I'd say you should be satisfied with your win-loss record.

Maniac

My apologies if my post was confusing. The 8 and 9 ball lifetime stats are for the handicapped 8 and 9 ball divisions. The masters stats are separate and are not included in the first set of stats I posted.

As you know ...stats are based on matches won. 8 ball stats are for 8 ball matches only and the same for 9 ball. Masters is a combination of 8 ball and 9 ball and your win stats are based on a simple win or loss ...not how many 8 or 9 ball racks you won and thus the reason for separate stats on masters alone.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
My Landesliga team here in Germany didn't play very well this season and we finished middle of the pack, even though my win rate is north of 80%, even though I always play 14.1 against one of my two opponents on league day.

My club's Verbandsliga team has invited me to play one last match with them to try to win an Oberliga spot, which we will be playing this Saturday. My 14.1 high run for the season is actually higher than everyone on the Verbandsliga team, so I am not really in above my pay grade. I am hoping to help them win, as Oberliga teams are generally put together from the best of a couple of local clubs, and a single club being able to field a full Oberliga team by itself is a pretty decent accomplishement, indicating the overall strength of the club. On the other hand, I know the best player on the team we will be playing Saturday, and he is a handful, so... Good luck to me!

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Landesliga team here in Germany didn't play very well this season and we finished middle of the pack, even though my win rate is north of 80%, even though I always play 14.1 against one of my two opponents on league day.

My club's Verbandsliga team has invited me to play one last match with them to try to win an Oberliga spot, which we will be playing this Saturday. My 14.1 high run for the season is actually higher than everyone on the Verbandsliga team, so I am not really in above my pay grade. I am hoping to help them win, as Oberliga teams are generally put together from the best of a couple of local clubs, and a single club being able to field a full Oberliga team by itself is a pretty decent accomplishement, indicating the overall strength of the club. On the other hand, I know the best player on the team we will be playing Saturday, and he is a handful, so... Good luck to me!

good shooting and god luck to you

I guess that 5 and a half hours of practicing what th my team mates friend day night d some good.

I was on in both 8 and 9 ball last night won 4-2 in a 4-4 race 8 ball last night against a tough 5 . If he missed I was gonna ut. If I missed he was out. The safes i played was the deciding factor.

Although my 9 ball break left a lil to be desired I was really on as far as shooting and playing safe. Won 46-19 in a 46-38 race against a 5. Him being visibly flustered over my running out from everywhere and a few good safes had a lot to do with it I think .

Getting pretty comfortable with my cue ball control with the revo...so much so that I am not even lookin forward to the meucci carbon pro I ordered a while back. Was told yesterday they were cutting the dice last Thursday to match my gambler so I should be getting it soon.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Any update on joining a team?

havent joined, shortly after the dude who had several league teams for me to play on seemed like he was all bs he just went ghost on me as did several others and i see them a few times a week in the pool room as they come in play and dont say a word now
and i just got zero tolerance or time for people like that

i might try a team some other time when im in a better state of mind
ive got personal issues also that seem to mount by the week

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
havent joined, shortly after the dude who had several league teams for me to play on seemed like he was all bs he just went ghost on me as did several others and i see them a few times a week in the pool room as they come in play and dont say a word now
and i just got zero tolerance or time for people like that

i might try a team some other time when im in a better state of mind
ive got personal issues also that seem to mount by the week

That sucks. Maybe just shoot the league operator a message when you're ready to play.

Too bad you don't live in Idaho, I need a player! LOL. I've got a husband/wife team that probably won't be husband/wife for much longer so I'm sure I'll only get one or the other going forward. And I have another player who's backed off, pretty sure it's because she keeps asking me to do stuff outside of pool (her and her kids with me and my granddaughter - as friends) but I keep telling her no. Going to be short a player tonight. :mad:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sucks. Maybe just shoot the league operator a message when you're ready to play.

Too bad you don't live in Idaho, I need a player! LOL. I've got a husband/wife team that probably won't be husband/wife for much longer so I'm sure I'll only get one or the other going forward. And I have another player who's backed off, pretty sure it's because she keeps asking me to do stuff outside of pool (her and her kids with me and my granddaughter - as friends) but I keep telling her no. Going to be short a player tonight. :mad:

And here I was thinking I was the only one that had those kinds of problems....:grin: