Cool aiming vid............

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You'd have to ask Tyler Styer, Brandon Shuff, Hunter Lombardo and a few others why.
Let me ask you a question, if you learned something new that helped you make a few, just a few more balls on a more consistent basis would it be worth it?

If I made it to the pros, I wouldn't believe such system .
Unless I wanna sell lessons of that thingy.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. I doubt any of those players missed a shot due to not knowing where or how to aim, except when they were first learning to play or in the developing stages of becoming a better player. Dealing with pressure, loss of focus, lapse in concentration....these are the culprits. If pro pool players made the money pro golfers make they'd all have a psychological coach like Bob Rotella working with them to help deal with those mental stumbling blocks.

I agree most misses are stroke related at a higher level of player. I admit though i miss once in a while because i picked the wrong sweep. Shit happens

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I made it to the pros, I wouldn't believe such system .
Unless I wanna sell lessons of that thingy.

Let me ask you a question, if you learned something new that helped you make a few, just a few more balls on a more consistent basis would it be worth it?
You didn't answer my question though

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
First off, why use CTE visuals in your description. 9 out of 10 people on here dont know how to use them correctly including you sorry.
Second, you've been around long enough to know that once you type CTE the sarcastic trolls come out of the woodwork to make there little comments.
But let's face it, when is the last time a thread in here has made it past the first page without someone mentioning CTE. It's ridiculous. No new info has been released in a while and won't be until the book is finished.

Your second point is good. The first point is incorrect because I do understand how to get the 15, 30, and 45 perceptions by use of the 2-line visual. It doesn't matter if you believe that. Just the fact that it works for me on straight in shots and a few other angles (when doing it as precisely as possible) is enough to prove I get that much. Making it work beyond those few angles (using the same precision) is where it falls apart on me, and I know why. But the book may have better instructions or more information to help those who are interested in learning the system. I hope so. It would be nice if someone could mention CTE without causing an uproar.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
You didn't answer my question though

You're assuming it does make them make more balls.
Sure, if it does.
That system has been talked to to many pros and how many have bit it ?
How do you consistently make more balls when you're already shooting in the high .800's to .900's ?

One pro touted it and quit it .
Why ?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree most misses are stroke related at a higher level of player. I admit though i miss once in a while because i picked the wrong sweep. Shit happens

Even when a great pro misses a basic shot, which happens on rare occasions, I guarantee you they were 100% sure about the aiming.

What I find myself doing on occasion is changing my mind about position play but not standing back up to re-approach the shot, and sometimes the change in what I plan on doing with the cb will require a new line of aim. By not standing up and starting with this new line I try to estimate the adjustment needed while I'm already down and end up rattling a ball. Not sure when I started this lazy habit but I'm working on breaking it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're assuming it does make them make more balls.
Sure, if it does.
That system has been talked to to many pros and how many have bit it ?
How do you consistently make more balls when you're already shooting in the high .800's to .900's ?

One pro touted it and quit it .
Why ?

Which Pro was that?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether or not I can run a rack of balls using CTE has nothing to do with the fact that every person that plays pool must develop the ability to know/feel that their cue is lined up where they think it is. It doesn't matter if they are lining straight through ccb to a point on the ob, or to center ghostball, or parallel to the contact point, or half a tip left or right of a 'fixed" ccb as seen from a CTE perception, or if they are "sweeping" from left or right of the perception to the shot line. Without the ability of knowing/feeling that your cue is lined up correctly, in accordance with what you see, then you can never be a pool player, not a decent one anyway. It would be like trying to play tennis without the ability of knowing/feeling that the racquet is at the appropriate angle for any given shot.

Can I run a rack using CTE?? Absolutely not. But I can use it to shoot every shot Stan sets up in about all of his videos, especially the curtain videos because there are no more than 5 or 6 angles being used. Anyway, me not being able to run a rack using CTE says more about my unwillingness to practice the method for months until I can make it work for more than a handful of angles than it says about my understanding of the system.

I can run a rack using Pro1. I know the visuals, understand the concept of the perceptions, and I have enough experience to recognize when my cue is on the shot line. So I could easily "sweep" from a left or right offset to arrive on the shot line, but I know the sweep won't always be initiated from an exact half tip offset. That would make it as limiting as the manual pivots. My sweeps would be based on what looks right, not based on an exact/objective half-tip offset.

Your second point is good. The first point is incorrect because I do understand how to get the 15, 30, and 45 perceptions by use of the 2-line visual. It doesn't matter if you believe that. Just the fact that it works for me on straight in shots and a few other angles (when doing it as precisely as possible) is enough to prove I get that much. Making it work beyond those few angles (using the same precision) is where it falls apart on me, and I know why. But the book may have better instructions or more information to help those who are interested in learning the system. I hope so. It would be nice if someone could mention CTE without causing an uproar.

You can run a rack one way but not the other way. Why is that? They are the same system.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You can run a rack one way but not the other way. Why is that? They are the same system.

Probably because with the manual pivots there is no leeway. It's supposed to be an exact 1/2 tip offset from the perception then a pivot to ccb, no wiggle room for following the eyes once you are set to pivot. With the sweeps I sweep from the perception straight to the line that looks right instead of sweeping from an exact 1/2 tip offset. I know this means I make it work, not let it work, but until the book comes out there is no good instruction to define the sweep, other than follow your eyes, which is what we all do anyway when we are lining up a shot.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even when a great pro misses a basic shot, which happens on rare occasions, I guarantee you they were 100% sure about the aiming.
What I find myself doing on occasion is changing my mind about position play but not standing back up to re-approach the shot, and sometimes the change in what I plan on doing with the cb will require a new line of aim. By not standing up and starting with this new line I try to estimate the adjustment needed while I'm already down and end up rattling a ball. Not sure when I started this lazy habit but I'm working on breaking it.
This is one of the reasons you get taken to task so much with your bombastic claims.(refer to what is in red).
How could you possibly know what is the mind of a bigtime pro player and then declare "I guarantee you they were 100% sure about the aiming"..??????
You are just a rank amateur....you can't know that. It is merely a supposition.
By the way, I checked the entries at the big amateur event in Florida and I don't see one single "red hot" from this aiming forum signed up anywhere. Why aren't you there?
I don't see Brian Crist, Patrick Johnson, Boxcar, Joey Bautista, Dan White...why not?
I can guarantee this....after I've had a good many more hours with this Pro One, I am going to enter (if I am still alive) that tournament next year and I sincerely hope YOU show up with your poolology fractions.
We'll see what is what. Write that down in your book, young man....you can take a shot at my old ass right there under the lights.
You better bring your lunch.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This is one of the reasons you get taken to task so much with your bombastic claims.(refer to what is in red).
How could you possibly know what is the mind of a bigtime pro player and then declare "I guarantee you they were 100% sure about the aiming"..??????
You are just a rank amateur....you can't know that. It is merely a supposition.
By the way, I checked the entries at the big amateur event in Florida and I don't see one single "red hot" from this aiming forum signed up anywhere. Why aren't you there?
I don't see Brian Crist, Patrick Johnson, Boxcar, Joey Bautista, Dan White...why not?
I can guarantee this....after I've had a good many more hours with this Pro One, I am going to enter (if I am still alive) that tournament next year and I sincerely hope YOU show up with your poolology fractions.
We'll see what is what. Write that down in your book, young man....you can take a shot at my old ass right there under the lights.
You better bring your lunch.

I don't know what's in the mind of a pro player. But I know 100% that before they pull the trigger on any shot where they intend to pocket a ball, they shoot it with 100% confidence that they're going to pocket it. If they miss, it's not because they were unsure of their aiming. For amateurs, or "rank" amateurs, that level of confidence isn't there and the shot is usually played halfass or timid. Here's a pointer if you expect to improve: Once you decide on how you're going to hit a particular shot, hit it like you know 100% you're going to make it.

I cannot play in the upcoming Florida tournament. I wish I could, but trying to get house fixed up to put on the market asap. I have no time and no extra cash to hit Florida. I waited for you in Vegas this past July. You were a no show. Just kidding. I didn't really wait around on you because I figured you wouldn't show up. You probably need a good solid year or more of practice before you play me anyway. Maybe several years....Cookie posted earlier that he occasionally uses the wrong pro1 sweep, and he's been doing it for many years. So you'll at least have to practice more than he does. :wink:

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what's in the mind of a pro player. But I know 100% that before they pull the trigger on any shot where they intend to pocket a ball, they shoot it with 100% confidence that they're going to pocket it. If they miss, it's not because they were unsure of their aiming. For amateurs, or "rank" amateurs, that level of confidence isn't there and the shot is usually played halfass or timid. Here's a pointer if you expect to improve: Once you decide on how you're going to hit a particular shot, hit it like you know 100% you're going to make it.

I cannot play in the upcoming Florida tournament. I wish I could, but trying to get house fixed up to put on the market asap. I have no time and no extra cash to hit Florida. I waited for you in Vegas this past July. You were a no show. Just kidding. I didn't really wait around on you because I figured you wouldn't show up. You probably need a good solid year or more of practice before you play me anyway. Maybe several years....Cookie posted earlier that he occasionally uses the wrong pro1 sweep, and he's been doing it for many years. So you'll at least have to practice more than he does. :wink:
I'll find you in West Virginia.
There is no ducking this match, bud.
You're gonna' have to prove yourself on the table, under the lights.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Cookie posted earlier that he occasionally uses the wrong pro1 sweep, and he's been doing it for many years. So you'll at least have to practice more than he does. :wink:

And i do, no big deal. But i did win my qualifier last month and get to play against 127 good amateur players from all over the USA next month. Might even practice a little for it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably because with the manual pivots there is no leeway. It's supposed to be an exact 1/2 tip offset from the perception then a pivot to ccb, no wiggle room for following the eyes once you are set to pivot. With the sweeps I sweep from the perception straight to the line that looks right instead of sweeping from an exact 1/2 tip offset. I know this means I make it work, not let it work, but until the book comes out there is no good instruction to define the sweep, other than follow your eyes, which is what we all do anyway when we are lining up a shot.

So you can't make balls with the manual pivot and have no idea how to do the pro one sweeps as defined. And they are defined so don't use the cop out about no good instruction to define the sweep.
Your version of pro one and the sweeps as you define them have very little to do with actual pro one aiming.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nick Varner wrote an article on Aiming in Billiards Digest years ago.
He stated this about aiming, “Aiming should be a life-long study because we ALL miss.”

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
And i do, no big deal. But i did win my qualifier last month and get to play against 127 good amateur players from all over the USA next month. Might even practice a little for it.

I understand about no big deal. I don't play pool for a living, so it's no big deal when I screw up. That's the best way to look at it. When I'm playing great I love it.
When I'm not playing great I know it's because I haven't been playing as much as I should.

Congratulations on the qualifier win and stroke em up next month. There is qualifier coming up for the Derby, but I don't see me making that unless I get this house on the market.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
So you can't make balls with the manual pivot and have no idea how to do the pro one sweeps as defined. And they are defined so don't use the cop out about no good instruction to define the sweep.
Your version of pro one and the sweeps as you define them have very little to do with actual pro one aiming.

I can make shots with manual pivoting, the ones that just happen to work, the exact same shots Stan shoots under the curtains, plus straight ins using a 15 outside. The manual pivot is well defined, precise, as far as instruction goes. I feel like the sweeps are more free, like loose interpretations of the manual pivots. My eyes lead and the body follows, but so does the cue. With manual pivots my cue doesn't follow my eyes. My eyes get me to the 1/2 tip offset, and from there I just do a precise, well defined pivot.

According to you I am no where close to being right, but according to Stan's youtube videos I don't see how I'm not right. And it doesn't matter. I'm not bashing it. If anything I've just learned my own version of it like so many others have done trying to make it work.

Anyhow, if you quit asking me about CTE I'll quit replying to you about it. Other than replying to your comments I have no interest in discussing CTE or Pro1. It's just not that important to me.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Stop with this madness about pros needing aiming system lessons.
They wouldn't be pros if they couldn't aim.
If an aiming system made Tyler make balls consistently more, along with those other ones, everyone would be all over it . But, they're not.
What are the fargo ratings of Shuff, Knight and Tyler before they took aiming lessons ?

The pros know where the cue ball is going within 5 degrees according to a US Open commentator . They freaking know the shot picture almost all the time . How the balls are going to collide and where the cue ball is going .

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop with this madness about pros needing aiming system lessons.
They wouldn't be pros if they couldn't aim.
If an aiming system made Tyler make balls consistently more, along with those other ones, everyone would be all over it . But, they're not.
What are the fargo ratings of Shuff, Knight and Tyler before they took aiming lessons ?

The pros know where the cue ball is going within 5 degrees according to a US Open commentator . They freaking know the shot picture almost all the time . How the balls are going to collide and where the cue ball is going .

I'd be real interested to hear what Tyler's was before he took Stan's lesson a few years ago compared to now. Bet the results would blow your theory way out of the water.
Who is this Knight guy? Never heard of him