brunswick GC2 setup & leveling pics-is this right?

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Pat, here's the playing surface height according the BCA spec's, it's not 28" just so you're aware!

2. TABLE BED HEIGHT

Shall be between 29 ¼ inches [74.295 cm] and 31 inches [78.74 cm]

Glen. How thick is slate with backing? You are going in circles. Base frame is what we have been talking about the whole time.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen. How thick is slate with backing? You are going in circles. Base frame is what we have been talking about the whole time.

2" on a GC 1 or 2. Instead of using a tape measure to check the frame height, all you need to do is screw all the leg levelers up all the way, set the table, then adjust the 3 low legs to be at the same level as the highest leg....is that so complicated that you need to go around measuring each corner? In a perfect world the floor is flat, but in most cases its not, so measuring the height of the corners of the frame is a waste of time, adjusting the 3 levelers to make the rest of the frame level with the highest lag has nothing to do with measuring the frame height. And think about it, if all the levers are screwed all the way up.....every corner of the frame will have the same height measurement.....right?....but the frame still won't be level, until you adjust the feet, which then in turn changes the frame measurements to the floor...right.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
2" on a GC 1 or 2. Instead of using a tape measure to check the frame height, all you need to do is screw all the leg levelers up all the way, set the table, then adjust the 3 low legs to be at the same level as the highest leg....is that so complicated that you need to go around measuring each corner? In a perfect world the floor is flat, but in most cases its not, so measuring the height of the corners of the frame is a waste of time, adjusting the 3 levelers to make the rest of the frame level with the highest lag has nothing to do with measuring the frame height. And think about it, if all the levers are screwed all the way up.....every corner of the frame will have the same height measurement.....right?....but the frame still won't be level, until you adjust the feet, which then in turn changes the frame measurements to the floor...right.

Glen....Take a deep breath...This is my last post on this subject.. People do different methods to get to the same goal..The bottom line is a table that has been taped at 28" will be by the very least 29 3/4" at the lowest point with slate...If in a garage the one side could be 29 3/4" while the other side is 30 3/4"...The table is level the floor is not...I know you must always have the last word so go ahead...I'm out...I hope!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've offered to double the bet, Mark has nothing on me when it comes to mechanic work, if anything he needs a spot!! At least I can level a Diamond table...LOL

That reminds me of when Mark came to Buffalo’s to level a bunch of Red and Blue labels before the last big 1P tournament.

I was playing on one of the Reds and it had a few rolls. Someone told me Mark just leveled the tables. So I went up to Mark said that table has a few rolls in it. Mark came unglued, and jumped down my throat. He kinda apologized afterwards. He also said these tables have been thru a flood and humid conditions for years. No one can level these POS tables and he did the best he could do. Needless to say I lost a lot of respect for Mark after that.

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That reminds me of when Mark came to Buffalo’s to level a bunch of Red and Blue labels before the last big 1P tournament.

I was playing on one of the Reds and it had a few rolls. Someone told me Mark just leveled the tables. So I went up to Mark said that table has a few rolls in it. Mark came unglued, and jumped down my throat. He kinda apologized afterwards. He also said these tables have been thru a flood and humid conditions for years. No one can level these POS tables and he did the best he could do. Needless to say I lost a lot of respect for Mark after that.
interesting

Last edited:

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the egos here. :eek:

You're all f ing crazy.

This thread (and countless others) brings to mind something I, as a university professor, am very familiar with: Sayre's Law. Originally used to describe academic politics, it applies to many professions. In its original form it says something like "The reason academic politics are so vicious is because so little is at stake". Feel free to replace "academic" with the any other low-stakes profession that may come to mind. :)

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My GC2 has been here for a decade.
I've stepped on the slate countless times to install light or fix the fan.
It is still dead nuts level.

There shims under the slate are fairly thin.
The frame is a freaking beast.
I don't know if there is a frame better than GC2's frame.

Don, I'm sorry you had two hacks work on your table.
The table install and repair industry is so whacked .

If there was a good honest and personable table mech , he'd make a killing and he'd be revered .
But, somehow there are a ton of hacks and eccentrics .

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
First off, that's not the original slate to GC1, 2, or 3, second I doubt they're pinned and doweled either. Take a closer look!!
From the pictures in the other thread in the main section, it's a parts table. Bronze feet and ball box trim, aluminum corners and rail molding.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
From the pictures in the other thread in the main section, it's a parts table. Bronze feet and ball box trim, aluminum corners and rail molding.

Actually no. You just pointed out what makes it a GC2.... That is the way it came from the factory. It is the same table as a GC1, but, as you said it has: " Bronze feet and ball box trim, aluminum corners and rail molding."
The wood is also the first factory rosewood stained GC.

I have still to this day never physically seen one. They only made them for 2 years and then the GC3 came out. So really they are the rarest of the GC series due to being made for about 2 years. Try finding a GC 2 service manual: It does not exist and that is because by design it is a GC1 with only color changes.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The bronze feet, ball box trim, and rosewood paint stained wood finish is what makes it a GC2. And Joey, just so you're aware, the slate frame on a 2 is the same as a Cenntenial, Anniversary, GC1 and 3 as well.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The table install and repair industry is so whacked .

But, somehow there are a ton of hacks and eccentrics .

An the cue making industry is any different??? LOL

There are good mechanics out there that do good work and are honest. Most people don't wanna wait and most importantly: don't wanna pay...

I work my ass off to make my clients happy. If I screw something up: I FIX IT. Do some people make me wanna cuss them out? YES, but, I still remain professional and polite.

There are plenty of guys out there who are just "installers" who don't play pool and don't care about their work, yet, it is up to the customer to do their research to know better. Don is a good example of someone who did the right thing for his situation.

We normally agree on most topics Joey, but, I find your post offensive and disrespectful to those of us who take our business serious and work hard to make our clients happy. Not trying to start a war, but, it is just not right to make a "blanket" statement that you did. Stay cool.

Trent from Toledo :)

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The installers did mention that some of the larger bolts had square heads and some had 6 sides. He said they should have all been square heads.

Here's the tag on the bottom.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The installers did mention that some of the larger bolts had square heads and some had 6 sides. He said they should have all been square heads.

Here's the tag on the bottom.

That's awesome!

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don, can you take a picture of the side pocket curve and post it please. Throw in one of the corner pockets too if you will. And just to satisfy my curiosity, could you take a picture of the slate from under the table right where the 2 crossmembers go from side to side at the seams, I'd like a look at the slate backing that run the width of the slate on both sides of the seams right over the 2 crossmembers.

This ok for pics?

Attachments

• 20191214_101439-1612x1209.jpg
    20191214_101439-1612x1209.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20191214_101509-1612x1209.jpg
    20191214_101509-1612x1209.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20191214_101516-1612x1209.jpg
    20191214_101516-1612x1209.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20191214_101526-1612x1209.jpg