brunswick GC2 setup & leveling pics-is this right?

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don, can you take a picture of the side pocket curve and post it please. Throw in one of the corner pockets too if you will. And just to satisfy my curiosity, could you take a picture of the slate from under the table right where the 2 crossmembers go from side to side at the seams, I'd like a look at the slate backing that run the width of the slate on both sides of the seams right over the 2 crossmembers.

sure will do tomorrow.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Personally, I'd like to see Mark hit up azhouse pro and jump back in here, then him and Glen go head to head for a grand, maybe in a jeopardy type format, or taking turn asking each other questions. LOL

If by the luck of the gods that did come to fruition(that would be some entertainment right?), if anyone wanted to bet on Mark to win, I'd be happy to take Glenn ;)

Mark can't do a lot of the things I do to rebuild a pool table. Just like I can't take the time to finish the rails like Mark does. An example of that is that I can cut the frame of a GC, or Anniversarie, or Cenntenial, all the same frame style, to completely flat, which requires less leveling of the slates to get them level. Mark still uses shims to level the frame on the pedestals, stacking or wedging as needed. I designed a leveling system that goes between the frame and pedestals which allows me to level the frame with a drill and 3/8" socket. I rebuild rails to use 5 bolts per rail so as to add more clamping down of the rails to the slates,.Mark is fine with using one 3 bolts per rail....and the unsecured 18" between rail bolts, I only allow 9" between rail bolts.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
We know Mark vouched for these guys from the screenshot, and that is a fact, or would you dispute that?

No dispute from me. His endorsement went off of D0N telling him they measured all 4 corners to the ground which is correct in setting beginning height of table. He assumed they then leveled the frame.(appears they did not)D0N told him that is how they leveled the table and he knew that is not what the tape measure was for. He did not see the table was not leveled properly before beginning of leveling the slates. So when D0N complained about the shims being used he told him that is how you level slates. If the frame was leveled first the end slates should need none to very little shimming. D0N did ask him if he wanted to see pictures. But because of conversation with him he felt they were doing it correct. After seeing pictures it was obvious the frame was not leveled properly. As for blankets, Mark wraps the shit out of all parts he works with.

PoolTable911

Silver Member
Mark can't do a lot of the things I do to rebuild a pool table. Just like I can't take the time to finish the rails like Mark does. An example of that is that I can cut the frame of a GC, or Anniversarie, or Cenntenial, all the same frame style, to completely flat, which requires less leveling of the slates to get them level. Mark still uses shims to level the frame on the pedestals, stacking or wedging as needed. I designed a leveling system that goes between the frame and pedestals which allows me to level the frame with a drill and 3/8" socket. I rebuild rails to use 5 bolts per rail so as to add more clamping down of the rails to the slates,.Mark is fine with using one 3 bolts per rail....and the unsecured 18" between rail bolts, I only allow 9" between rail bolts.
Once again...YOU ARE A GOD GLEN! Anything to toot your own horn.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Once again...YOU ARE A GOD GLEN! Anything to toot your own horn.

I'm not rooting my own horn if it's the facts!! I'm not even looking for more work, I'm retiring next year. But you can bet I'll take Mark up on his $500 challenge if he wants to double it up!!! He's learned quit a bit from me, but not everything I know, and I have yet to learn something from him!!!

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No dispute from me. His endorsement went off of D0N telling him they measured all 4 corners to the ground which is correct in setting beginning height of table. He assumed they then leveled the frame.(appears they did not)D0N told him that is how they leveled the table and he knew that is not what the tape measure was for. He did not see the table was not leveled properly before beginning of leveling the slates. So when D0N complained about the shims being used he told him that is how you level slates. If the frame was leveled first the end slates should need none to very little shimming. D0N did ask him if he wanted to see pictures. But because of conversation with him he felt they were doing it correct. After seeing pictures it was obvious the frame was not leveled properly. As for blankets, Mark wraps the shit out of all parts he works with.

I offered to text mark pics during our phone conversation and he refused them and continued to say they were doing it right and he would do it exactly as they were. He was more interested in telling me how great HE was and how little I knew.

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny but so far EVERY mechanic I have spoken with says THEY ARE THE BEST in the business.

Why are egos so thick in the pool industry? Why does everyone have to be the best?

Just do a good job and rely on your reputation?! :cool:

I can't wait to get my table done so I can be through with the mechanic egos.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No dispute from me. His endorsement went off of D0N telling him they measured all 4 corners to the ground which is correct in setting beginning height of table.
There is nothing correct about that!! The highest leg/corner NEVER gets adjusted/shined, the other 3 legs are brought up to level with the 1 stationary leg....has NOTHING to do with measuring from the floor up as no matter how you adjust the level of the legs, you CAN'T lower the 1 fixed level leg!

Or maybe you care to explain that statement a little more clear!!

PoolTable911

Silver Member
Its funny but so far EVERY mechanic I have spoken with says THEY ARE THE BEST in the business.

Why are egos so thick in the pool industry? Why does everyone have to be the best?

That is the best post in this thread!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Because all customers would like to know they hired the "best" to work on their pool table as a vote of confidence, only problem is, most customers don't check references to back up that "best" claim, if they did, they'd find out the truth and look for someone else.....and be a new member of the easter egg hunt for a good table mechanic!!

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the best post in this thread!

Even the guys that moved my table told me how they were the best and have done work for so and so.

It seems so easy to bullshit your way through this profession. Hell, maybe I should become a master pool table mechanic?! All I have to say is that I am the best in the business! Who can dispute that?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Even the guys that moved my table told me how they were the best and have done work for so and so.

It seems so easy to bullshit your way through this profession. Hell, maybe I should become a master pool table mechanic?! All I have to say is that I am the best in the business! Who can dispute that?

Your last 10 references...LOL

PoolTable911

Silver Member
There is nothing correct about that!! The highest leg/corner NEVER gets adjusted/shined, the other 3 legs are brought up to level with the 1 stationary leg....has NOTHING to do with measuring from the floor up as no matter how you adjust the level of the legs, you CAN'T lower the 1 fixed level leg!

Or maybe you care to explain that statement a little more clear!!

What are you talking about lowering the fixed leg? if you want all the tables in a pool room at a certain height. You bring the table to that height then level from there. Frame height at 28" is what I am for. Then you can level the frame from there.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
This forum has calmed down DRASTICALLY!!! Why would egging on a war on here between anyone help the forum at all? IMO: It would not.

I am not going to bash anyone in this thread because it all speaks for itself. It is getting out of hand.

Don has someone coming to set up his table. I suggested he take the time, do the homework and to do it himself. There are plenty of regulars on here that have and are very happy with their results. Buyin a Starrett 98 12" and the Simonis DVDS are the most expensive part. Most people either have the rest of the tools personally or know someone that does to do the job. Then no need to rely on anyone or deal with any ego's.

Don, I hope you get your table set up and get down to some POOL SHOOTING!!! Good luck to you.

Trent from Toledo

Personally, I'd like to see Mark hit up azhouse pro and jump back in here, then him and Glen go head to head for a grand, maybe in a jeopardy type format, or taking turn asking each other questions. LOL

If by the luck of the gods that did come to fruition(that would be some entertainment right?), if anyone wanted to bet on Mark to win, I'd be happy to take Glenn ;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What are you talking about lowering the fixed leg? if you want all the tables in a pool room at a certain height. You bring the table to that height then level from there. Frame height at 28" is what I am for. Then you can level the frame from there.

How does that work out for a Diamond which is higher than that, or on a floor that has a 2" difference in height from one end of the table to the other? Don't that throw your 28" playing surface out the window???

PoolTable911

Silver Member
How does that work out for a Diamond which is higher than that, or on a floor that has a 2" difference in height from one end of the table to the other? Don't that throw your 28" playing surface out the window???
Duh....We are talking about Gold Crowns your lordship. Who mentioned Diamonds? So you do measure Gold Crowns for height if you want a repeatable process.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Duh....We are talking about Gold Crowns your lordship. Who mentioned Diamonds? So you do measure Gold Crowns for height if you want a repeatable process.

Your reasoning don't hold water on a garage floor buddy, therefore the leveling has to be adapted to what ever floor the table is installed on. A 28" playing surface would be nice for a reference, but not the main goal.!

PoolTable911

Silver Member
Your reasoning don't hold water on a garage floor buddy, therefore the leveling has to be adapted to what ever floor the table is installed on. A 28" playing surface would be nice for a reference, but not the main goal.!

D0N’s Table was not in a garage. Why are you talking in circles? You ask for the reason I gave it to you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
D0N’s Table was not in a garage. Why are you talking in circles? You ask for the reason I gave it to you.

Pat, here's the playing surface height according the BCA spec's, it's not 28" just so you're aware!

2. TABLE BED HEIGHT

Shall be between 29 ¼ inches [74.295 cm] and 31 inches [78.74 cm]