2019 WPA World 9 Ball - Qatar

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Win By Fedor

Congrats to Fedor on big win. Mega boost for the teenager’s career and he is no longer a lesser known.
It took long time . The final saw many missed shots but the big miss is the shot clock. Commentators said QBSF higher up questioning why no shot clock . Then they said WPA rule says referee can impose shot clock if play is slow so it is up to referee. So typical laying blame and the small guy the referee gets the blame :D
Luckily it is on YouTube so I downloaded it after it was over and fast forwarded with touch screen player and it played like normal match at normal speed , haha. For Chang it was another case of so near yet so far in final of
a major after misses at previous US Open , Kuwait Open ($50K winner) . Maybe he will get another shot next year since last 4 years have seen finalists appear consecutively.

Johan must now be the go to coach for pro players as it’s been said that he had hand in Gorst’s success. Conversely, it is a blow to Marcus as coach after he snubbed Gorst in recent Mosconi Cup. Hindsight is 2020 but like or not, folks will be asking how he missed out a talent like Gorst. He may have Gorst on the radar but the fact is he didn’t pick Gorst. :D

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The usual coddling, enabling, and defending of slow play continues - on the same site where new threads pop up weekly complaining about how pool isn't on TV any more.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Why were taking such a long time when they don't do that in other tournaments or gambling matches.

This was all throughout the tournament. I saw Billy, little Ko, Biado, Chang, and these while aren't the fastest players, but certainly not unreasonably slow.

I think it was the equipment.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Johan must now be the go to coach for pro players as it’s been said that he had hand in Gorst’s success. Conversely, it is a blow to Marcus as coach after he snubbed Gorst in recent Mosconi Cup. Hindsight is 2020 but like or not, folks will be asking how he missed out a talent like Gorst. He may have Gorst on the radar but the fact is he didn’t pick Gorst. :D

Here's what I posted about Gorst in June during the European 9-ball Championships:

For well over a year now, I have contended that Fedor Gorst is the world's straightest shooter, not Jayson Shaw, who is generally deemed such by reputation.

Gorst came third in 9-ball and 3rd at 10-ball in the last Derby City Classic and is already a top fifteen in the world player for sure. As he's still very young, the sky is the limit for Fedor. He'll be interesting to watch.

In October, when we were debating who should be the Team Europe wildcards for the Mosconi, I posted this:

… I think Fedor Gorst's time has come. He beat Filler in the final to win the European 9-ball Championship He finished third at the Derby City 9-ball ...

Chamat failed to select Filler for the Mosconi in 2018 and a few weeks later Filler won the World 9-ball Championship. He then failed to select Gorst for Mosconi in 2019 and a few weeks later Gorst won the World 9-ball Championship. Not to take away from Skyler Woodward's excellence, but perhaps Marcus Chamat is Team USA's true MVP.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is it possible?

Here's what I posted about Gorst in June during the European 9-ball Championships:

In October, when we were debating who should be the Team Europe wildcards for the Mosconi, I posted this:

Chamat failed to select Filler for the Mosconi in 2018 and a few weeks later Filler won the World 9-ball Championship. He then failed to select Gorst for Mosconi in 2019 and a few weeks later Gorst won the World 9-ball Championship. Not to take away from Skyler Woodward's excellence, but perhaps Marcus Chamat is Team USA's true MVP.

Is it possible Marcus was influenced by Matchroom not to build the best possible team to set the stage for a more closely contested match? They have no problem hyping up Johan vs Marcus in the interview and requesting the players act provocatively.

I'm not accusing them of this, and if they did that is their right. They are in entertainment like reality TV. It's their show. And maybe that's not how this worked. But it wouldn't surprise me.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Filler 13 Biado 10 took 90 minutes in the 2018 final in Qatar. ...

Nah, Filler/Biado was about 123.4 minutes from lag to last ball, for an average of 5.4 minutes per game.

The Gorst/Chang final (going by the recording, which skips a few shots a couple times) was about 243 minutes, for an average of 10.1 minutes per game.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, good for him that he won and all that, but the kid is boring AF to watch. That last rack was painful.

I'll give him taking time to get from the 1 to the 2, but after that...(all times are from when the previous ball was made)

2 ball - 39 sec
3 ball - 40 sec
4 ball - 41 sec
5 ball - 39 sec
7 ball - 36 sec
8 ball - 49 sec
9 ball - 12 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2KD_vdtw9U&feature=youtu.be

that's only one shot not within the proposed shot clock time. chang was the one who played way too slow, including rack checking in absurdum. not defending slow play, just saying fedor was not the main culprit

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's only one shot not within the proposed shot clock time. chang was the one who played way too slow, including rack checking in absurdum. not defending slow play, just saying fedor was not the main culprit

Yep, and with one extension per rack all of those shots would have been within the time limit.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not sure who is proposing that long of a shot clock

For 9 ball, it should be 25 seconds per shot with one 40 second extension each rack.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible Marcus was influenced by Matchroom not to build the best possible team to set the stage for a more closely contested match? They have no problem hyping up Johan vs Marcus in the interview and requesting the players act provocatively.

I'm not accusing them of this, and if they did that is their right. They are in entertainment like reality TV. It's their show. And maybe that's not how this worked. But it wouldn't surprise me.
I do think Matchroom wanted Shaw picked as a wildcard because they need a player from Great Britain. Alcaide/Ouschan probably earned that spot.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nah, Filler/Biado was about 123.4 minutes from lag to last ball, for an average of 5.4 minutes per game.

The Gorst/Chang final (going by the recording, which skips a few shots a couple times) was about 243 minutes, for an average of 10.1 minutes per game.

Thanks for the correction.

In his commentary druing yesterday's Chang vs Gorst match, Ted Lerner offered that last year's final took ninety minutes. Apparently, Ted was mistaken. So, last year's final was only played at twice the pace of this year's, not three times as Ted suggested.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I walked away from this at around 8-8 point. There was ZERO flow to the game. IIRC only two b-n-r's at that point. Not entertaining in the LEAST. Pool's in bad enough shape as it is, crap like this doesn't help. At all.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I walked away from this at around 8-8 point. There was ZERO flow to the game. IIRC only two b-n-r's at that point. Not entertaining in the LEAST. Pool's in bad enough shape as it is, crap like this doesn't help. At all.

I just watched the last rack, and with Great shape on the 1 ball after the break, then they cut immediately to the the video to him being straight in on the 5 ball. HUH????????????

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It took 1hr and 45mins for the score to get to 5-4.

That was very tough to watch and I enjoy watching pool.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Methinks that watching players on a high quality TV production with a physical audience, two commentators bouncing off each other and a clock visibly (and eventually audibly) running down gets the adrenaline pumping just a little in the casual viewer who has tuned into a major 9 ball pool championship. And maybe even some of the pool fans.

In a room in the middle of nowhere, with no or pretty much no spectators, no TV exposure, niche at best internet exposure - well a particular type of, shall we say pedantic, pool viewer will complain about players taking as long as the regular shot clock on a regular basis.

If it were me, on that table at that stage of that championship, I’d take as long a time as needed or more (never less). The only reasons for taking less time are being in a hurry cos you’ve got to be somewhere else (rather unlikely), bottling it, being an idiot, or because there is a shot clock. It would be an unrealistic expectation for players in this tournament to want to fall into any of those categories.

Maybe stop complaining about the lack of stopclocks. The problems with the World Championship run much deeper than this. If they get resolved, there will be a 45 second stop clock. You might not have the patience to watch it but the players have the patience to try to win it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Methinks that watching players on a high quality TV production with a physical audience, two commentators bouncing off each other and a clock visibly (and eventually audibly) running down gets the adrenaline pumping just a little in the casual viewer who has tuned into a major 9 ball pool championship. And maybe even some of the pool fans.

In a room in the middle of nowhere, with no or pretty much no spectators, no TV exposure, niche at best internet exposure - well a particular type of, shall we say pedantic, pool viewer will complain about players taking as long as the regular shot clock on a regular basis.

If it were me, on that table at that stage of that championship, I’d take as long a time as needed or more (never less). The only reasons for taking less time are being in a hurry cos you’ve got to be somewhere else (rather unlikely), bottling it, being an idiot, or because there is a shot clock. It would be an unrealistic expectation for players in this tournament to want to fall into any of those categories.

Maybe stop complaining about the lack of stopclocks. The problems with the World Championship run much deeper than this. If they get resolved, there will be a 45 second stop clock. You might not have the patience to watch it but the players have the patience to try to win it.

Pathetic attempt to defend slow play.

45 seconds is far too long for a typical shot in 9 ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HUH?????????? There is NO reason a race-to-13 set of 9ball should take 4hrs, i don't care what the stakes are. This match with the slow play, waaaaaaay too many breaks and all the f^&king rack inspections was an absolute snooze-fest and i only saw 'bout half of it. No defense for this crap World title or no.