railbirdsTV derby videos

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commentary is horrible.

Matches are good, but those people have NO idea how to play pool. It is painful to hear the things they say.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kevin ross and them do a nice job
a few I watched got sky woodward co-commentating
good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw_IoLYnu4SN70xsWZiM-YpJ19J89AFx3

Don't like the commentary., mute it.

I like both Ross's and how they take a stance, even against each other. After listening to Jeremy Jones enough and who ever he may be with, you may realize that Jones continuously plays numbers. Percentages aren't that important in commentary and more often than not turn off the listener, but a lot of pool commentary hinges to that.

For the commentary alone (in pool), I really like the women you hear during the women's tournaments. Not all of them are nice, some are too nice and they more often than not take an opinion. No matter who you like, I'll always think that it's worth going back 20 years and listening to those "gameday" commentators that were just in the dark. As half were entirely clueless, in that you heard some pretty creative suggestions you might not hear otherwise.

Golf is probably an example of how to do it all. In golf everyone wants to see good shots and the commentators leave the numbers alone, which lets you in a way just experience it. How many times have you've heard a Golf commentator suggest what they'd do themselves without irony.... maybe none.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like both Ross's and how they take a stance, even against each other. After listening to Jeremy Jones enough and who ever he may be with, you may realize that Jones continuously plays numbers. Percentages aren't that important in commentary and more often than not turn off the listener, but a lot of pool commentary hinges to that.

For the commentary alone (in pool), I really like the women you hear during the women's tournaments. Not all of them are nice, some are too nice and they more often than not take an opinion. No matter who you like, I'll always think that it's worth going back 20 years and listening to those "gameday" commentators that were just in the dark. As half were entirely clueless, in that you heard some pretty creative suggestions you might not hear otherwise.

Golf is probably an example of how to do it all. In golf everyone wants to see good shots and the commentators leave the numbers alone, which lets you in a way just experience it. How many times have you've heard a Golf commentator suggest what they'd do themselves without irony.... maybe none.

Dumber than a sack of hammers they are.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commentary is horrible.

Matches are good, but those people have NO idea how to play pool. It is painful to hear the things they say.

yo bb
interesting take
based on filler v. deuel and kiamco v. melling
I was inspired to post
I think kevin does a pretty good job myself
he's got a pleasant mic manner
stays on topic
and to me anyway, exhibits pool knowhow
I wonder what he said that makes you feel like he doesn't?
sky obviously knows the game
and it was neat to get his commentary on things

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hey cron
I like jj too
he really gets inside the game
I could see where some wouldn't dig his style
but you could say that about anybody really

who are the lady commentators you like?
I've only heard a few

interesting observation re: golf commentating
I know I've heard some, but not in awhile
will have to keep my eyes and ears open for them

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only heard a few

All over. Ther women who own the venues (A lot on Railbirds) , historical pros (slews in WPBA matches), random advocates (Matches at Hard Times features many). They're all over Youtube, but listen to thier more inclusive approach.

Golf, while not alone, uses more verbs than verbiage. For instance in golf, instead of the commentator stating a whole bunch about what they'd personally do like "I'd use a low 60-degree wedge and make sure that I'd a accommodate for ...." and so on, they simply state "Looks like it's time to dig in." This has a huge advantage which is that the viewer is not required to know any specifics about the game in order to visualize what is about to happen.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched filler v deuel.

There was a shot where commentator says shot is to thin the ob and run cb around behind other balls...

It was physically impossible to have ob go so far and cb go not so far.

Shooter did not shoot what buuba proposed.

yo bb
interesting take
based on filler v. deuel and kiamco v. melling
I was inspired to post
I think kevin does a pretty good job myself
he's got a pleasant mic manner
stays on topic
and to me anyway, exhibits pool knowhow
I wonder what he said that makes you feel like he doesn't?
sky obviously knows the game
and it was neat to get his commentary on things

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched filler v deuel.

There was a shot where commentator says shot is to thin the ob and run cb around behind other balls...

It was physically impossible to have ob go so far and cb go not so far.

Shooter did not shoot what buuba proposed.

gotcha..well, can't win em all? :grin-square:
'preciate you checkin back tho..I'm learning!

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All over. Ther women who own the venues (A lot on Railbirds) , historical pros (slews in WPBA matches), random advocates (Matches at Hard Times features many). They're all over Youtube, but listen to thier more inclusive approach.

Golf, while not alone, uses more verbs than verbiage. For instance in golf, instead of the commentator stating a whole bunch about what they'd personally do like "I'd use a low 60-degree wedge and make sure that I'd a accommodate for ...." and so on, they simply state "Looks like it's time to dig in." This has a huge advantage which is that the viewer is not required to know any specifics about the game in order to visualize what is about to happen.

if I remember right, I heard a good one at one ladies event..teruko cuculelli, I think
other than that
I'm embarrassed to say I can't think of any gals I've heard that really rival the guys I like
if you recall any specific names or matches that feature quality female commentary
please let me know, and I'll check them out

I'll have to pay attention to golf commentary more
I think pool sometimes has really good commentary
with so many great storytellers in pool
players who are experienced and knowledgeable
there's potential for the commentary to be consistently good
I think a little coaching with the players would go a long way
honestly, pool might could use more straight up "play by play" types
commentators who know the rules and the equipment
are familiar with players' backgrounds, technical info., etc.
then just let the players loose with the color
but commentators in most other sports are getting paid
to be a good anything takes work
and good work should be compensated
and it works the other way, too..

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've only heard a few

interesting observation re: golf commentating
I know I've heard some, but not in awhile
will have to keep my eyes and ears open for them

I like to hear Mary Kenniston’s voice sometimes....she’s got the creds and will not be
intimidated.

Some of the best commentating I’ve ever heard comes from golf.....
...when the Cornerman retires and joins JJ full time, I’ll like it.

CaptainBly

Registered
I like to hear Mary Kenniston’s voice sometimes....she’s got the creds and will not be
intimidated.

Some of the best commentating I’ve ever heard comes from golf.....
...when the Cornerman retires and joins JJ full time, I’ll like it.
That would be my dream team of commentating.My two favorite current commentators.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they are doing great work, and have been for the last couple of years. make sure to like and subscribe, since they are providing you with great pool matches (whether you like the commentary or not).