I know weight is a matter of preference, but I got a question

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you put the same energy into your stoke you'll move a lighter cue faster, a heavier cue slower, and they'll produce the same CB speed/spin.

Energy in = energy out. Cue weight is just the delivery method.

He specified later that the stroke speed is the same
And (if true) that would require different energy input which, "translated" through cue weight, would result in different CB speed/spin.

But it's easy for a player to think the same energy output produces the same stroke speed, which isn't true for different weight cues - knowing the difference might help understanding.

pj
chgo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...which isn't true for different weight cues - knowing the difference might help understanding.

pj
chgo

Not really man. Face it, your energy in = energy out is the clearest way, so if someone takes the time to learn and understand, it should be that (as that can help many more ways).

People seem to always look for the expenditure of energy in pool things while unknowingly trying to percieve a radiant flux'ish measurement, which can only be had by playing themselves. But until someone uses their body to derive the differences in stick weights.... energy in = energy out is precise (in fact, can it be made more clear in text?).

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I absolutely think it does. For my study on this, it became easier to
understand cue ball control manipulations as they relate to stroke because the
energy transfer being less gives a wider area of stroke that will feasibly work to
produce the desired effect.

And (if true) that would require different energy input which, "translated" through cue weight, would result in different CB speed/spin.

But it's easy for a player to think the same energy output produces the same stroke speed, which isn't true for different weight cues - knowing the difference might help understanding.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I want to include the cue ball in this and to me, the ball and shot proportions are fixed so given two differing impact displacements, the ball should act differently.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Not really man. Face it, your energy in = energy out is the clearest way
It's a different way of saying the same thing.

...unknowingly trying to percieve a radiant flux'ish measurement
Maybe there should be a subforum for people who speak the same language as you and straightline.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you have to remove the cue from the robot to adjust the weight.

We should have thought of this early in the design phase.

The removal and refitting is adding an additional element of potential interference with results. ...
Mike Page had a solution to that when he wanted to increase the cue mass up front. He just clamped a pair of vise-grips to the ferrule.:eek:

Crude but effective.:thumbup:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Radiant flux"??????????? WTF??? Wasn't that in "Back to the Future"? ;)

So, if you hit the cue ball at 88mph....?

What I mean radiant flux'ish is that humans are always smarter than they are aware of thanks to survival skills. So, maybe sometimes people first relate to something more tangible to describe experiences while their instincts quietly suggest there is more going on. Or more basically, maybe what people are looking for isn't something like Volts × Amps, but what they are percieving instinctively, which is harder to both understand, put into words and uniquely variable.

As far as answering the OPs question in any words, as the question isn't open-ended, the only known and shared constant has been given which is energy in = energy out... people must experience the rest.

P.S. There is a new Bill & Ted's movie coming out, and once upon a time someone asked the writers how fast that telephone booth went....

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, if you hit the cue ball at 88mph....?

What I mean is that humans are always smarter than they are aware of thanks to survival skills. So, maybe sometimes people first relate to something more tangible to describe experiences while their instincts quietly suggest there is more going on. Or more basically, maybe what people are looking for isn't something like Volts × Amps, but what they are percieving instinctively, which is harder to both understand, put into words and uniquely variable.

As far as answering the OPs question in any words, as the question isn't open-ended, the only known and shared constant has been given which is energy in = energy out... people must experience the rest.

P.S. There is a new Bill & Ted's movie coming out, and once upon a time someone asked the writers how fast that telephone booth went....
Are you a lawyer? Have no clue what you just said. ;)

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I edited it. I'm on a phone so it takes forever to type and I forget to go back and prefix/suffix things at end.... can't stand this tiny kb.

Try using dictate to talk. I use it for email and text, works great. Get your cursor where you want it and then hit the little microphone.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does "ball and shot proportions" mean?

What does "differing impact displacements" mean?

If you want to communicate, you'll need to use terms that others use.

pj
chgo

The only variable is the cue weight. Those two weights will displace the ball at differing rates and amounts.

Ball and shot proportions are self explanatory. Dimensions paramaters etc. uh da shot.

i speik ingrish not mathlish.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I have found myself moving to a lighter cue over the years - now to something around 18.5 as being ideal for me. The more I think about it now, it was probably the increased speed of cloth and cushions that made me feel like the lighter cue is more effective for me. I never thought about the reasons before; but this all makes sense. In the 60s, there were a lot of 20 to 21 ounce cues, and the tables were much slower in most cases.

Yep, agree

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people are over complicating things, imagine it’s a machine and all variables are the exact same, one time you insert a heavy cue, next time you insert a light cue, both times the machine executing the same speed of drawing the ball, which one will come further back? Very simple question. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people are over complicating things, imagine it’s a machine and all variables are the exact same, one time you insert a heavy cue, next time you insert a light cue, both times the machine executing the same speed of drawing the ball, which one will come further back? Very simple question. :)

Broken record here. You know from shooting that there is an optimal speed zone to a draw shot. Same thing if Iron Willie shoots it. I tend to think if the settings are too high or low, the results will see-saw.