Need help with some Diamond options

Empty403

Registered
I thank you for your suggestions and/or recommendations on any of these options or other items I may or will need.

*My wife is demanding a pool table so she's going to get another "Diamond" :D

Due to the COVID-19 shutdowns, my guess the table will likely take 4-6 months to arrive from the time I place the order.

The order will be for a 9' Diamond Professional.

Color: PRC or Dymalux Charcoal (if now available) and then black Maple for the rest of the panels as I prefer the smoother grains on the Maple.

Legs: Style 2: Square legs with the polished aluminum pedestals. IMO, the Style 3 (Square legs) has a cleaner look but I believe the pedestals would be a better option to have when vacuuming or mopping as I don't want to mar the lower section of the wood.

Pocket Size: I'm leaning more towards the 4.75" because this is what's used in the Vegas APA Southwest Challenges and many pool halls, I am not a pro or will I ever be a pro and I don't want it to be frustrating for visitors. Please provide your reason(s) to make choose the 4.5" Pro-Cut over the 4.75"

Slate: 1 piece

Cloth: Tournament Blue and leaning towards the 860HR over the 860 - I'm not sure.

Table Light: Littman 7 foot light - I can't decide between the Tournament edition or in Black maple

Bridge Holder: Diamond wire bridge holders on both sides as I don't want to be fiddling around trying to place the bridge into the wall mounted cue rack.

Triangle: Diamond CR1 Triangle

Cover: Black Table cover with silver logo

House Cues: Not sure yet, likely 4 Qty of 1 piece Dufferins

Ball Polisher: Either the Diamond or Ballstar - still not sure

Bridge: Not sure whether to use brass or a plastic moose head

Table Brush: Simonis X-1 Cloth Cleaner

Balls: Cyclops Hyperion (already purchased) - seems to be the best balls available due to them staying cleaner.

Cue Rack: "Imperial Wall Rack Deluxe Wall Rack" 6 cue holder from Amazon (already purchased)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PRC maple. It almost looks black, I don’t think it has any grain. I do like the charcoal but it’s been discontinued
The plastic Diamond rack is pretty good.
Pro cut 4.5” corners
Blue 860HR

Now the hard part. I keep going back and forth on ProAm or Professional. Buffalo’s has both style tables and I still can’t figure out which one I like best. Most players I talk to think the ProAm is better.

Slate: The one piece is 25mm thick (1”). The three piece is 30mm thick. I always think thicker is better. I won’t ever buy a one piece slate table.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Littman lamp - can't go wrong wtih either. I had him make for me a basic design, black lacuered oak. I prefer a lamp to just blend in with the room and let my GCI be the star of the show. Couldn't ask more from a table lamp. Light spread is perfect and the craftmanship is first rate. Crating and shipping is also well thought through and 100% damage free.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
"The plastic Diamond rack is pretty good."

It works well, but why didn't Diamond put the center notch in the mold?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tru Dat. Just curious, why do you want a one piece slate? You can also get one or three piece on the ProAm.

Curious also. I wonder why you would want 3 piece slate over 1 piece, especially if you have a one story house?

Empty403

Registered
PRC maple. It almost looks black, I don’t think it has any grain. I do like the charcoal but it’s been discontinued
The plastic Diamond rack is pretty good.
Pro cut 4.5” corners
Blue 860HR

Now the hard part. I keep going back and forth on ProAm or Professional. Buffalo’s has both style tables and I still can’t figure out which one I like best. Most players I talk to think the ProAm is better.

Slate: The one piece is 25mm thick (1”). The three piece is 30mm thick. I always think thicker is better. I won’t ever buy a one piece slate table.

Do you have any advice or rebuttal for me to change my choice of 4.75" pockets to the 4.5"?

I prefer the Professional's legs being inset further compared Pro-AM's. I know my legs and feet will be hitting the Pro-Am's significantly more. I will likely be playing 8 and 9 and 10-ball more often so drop pockets will be better. I also like the less chunky look of the Professional. However, I do like the ball return and I would seriously consider it if I played a lot of 1-pocket or straight pool. And from other posts, I won't have to bend over as much - i'm not getting any younger so it should help in a few years. As far as table play, there's no difference.
The 3 piece would be easier to move and any shop can move and set it up. The 1 piece has a quicker setup but it will not have any seam issues. All authorized Diamond installers say, if the 3 piece is set up properly there won't be a difference.

Empty403

Registered
Tru Dat. Just curious, why do you want a one piece slate? You can also get one or three piece on the ProAm.

I believe all Pro-Ams are 1-piece because the tops are pre-assembled. I have a single level home so a 1-piece will never have a seam issue. However, with the Diamond shim system it would be almost impossible to have a seam issue. But yes, I understand when properly assembled they will both play the same and just in case I move it would be easier to move the table with a 3-piece slate - maybe I should just get the 3 piece :confused:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I believe all Pro-Ams are
1-piece because the tops are pre-assembled. I have
a single level home so a 1-piece will never have a s
eam issue. However, with the Diamond shim system
it would be almost impossible to have a seam issue.
But yes, I understand when properly assembled they
will both play the same and just in case I move it would
be easier to move the table with a 3-piece slate - maybe
I should just get the 3 piece :confused:

The Pro Am is completely assembled when delivered.
Roll cart in and flip it out, level it and put a spot on it!!!

Having a Diamond Installer seam a 3 piece slate =

no seam problems.

Just talked to my buddy Mike who happens to be one
of Diamonds most experienced mechanics and he said
he has done a few Professionals with a single slate. :)

3-Piece is actually harder to install and more $$$.

It is also easier to sell.

Just my opinion :)

TFT

Attachments

• e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 371

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have first floor access,get 1 piece. Plays perfectly, easier to relevel with leg adjusters.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have first floor access,get 1 piece. Plays perfectly, easier to relevel with leg adjusters.

Once the the 3 slates are level and properly set up, then the leg adjusters and Diamond slate levelers work the same as the one piece. I do understand the advantages of the one piece but if I ever need to move or sell my table the three piece is much easier to deal with.

Empty403

Registered
The Pro Am is completely assembled when delivered.
Roll cart in and flip it out, level it and put a spot on it!!!

Having a Diamond Installer seam a 3 piece slate =

no seam problems.

Just talked to my buddy Mike who happens to be one
of Diamonds most experienced mechanics and he said
he has done a few Professionals with a single slate. :)

3-Piece is actually harder to install and more $$$.

It is also easier to sell.

Just my opinion :)

TFT

Yeah, overall, it looks like the 3 piece slate would be a better option. Now I hope my local dealer doesn't push me to select the 1-piece because it would make it easier to install, lol. Very much appreciated, thanks!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your choices!

All below are IMO:
-The league cut pockets will be more enjoyable to play on.
-Painted maple will look better than painted oak. I fully agree with you on this one. If I were to get a Diamond I'd get painted maple or painted birch (not sure if they offer birch). Both are closed pore woods that paint super well. Oak has got to be the worst wood for painting. Super ugly and porous cathedral grain pattern.
-The legs on Pro-Am being at the corner is definitely a bang point for your feet and legs, especially if you are a tall person. I have personally experienced this playing on Pro-Ams, even wrote about it here years back. You get used to it, and learn how to adjust your stance, but it is certainly way more obtrusive than a GC. The Professional is more like the GC, and should not have the same issue.
-Agree the Professional is a better looking table than the Pro-Am. Way less "boxy" looking. Better lines and proportions.
-Don't pay extra for a Diamond bridge. They suck. The head spins on them by design. Horrible. Super unstable when you are using it.