Cue Lost - USPS Shipping - Who's Responsible??

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I AM NOT SHIPPING ANY MORE CUES UNTIL NEXT YEAR- another issue today with a cue in transit- not buying or selling anymore in 2020- enough is enough with these shipping companies! None of them can possibly have more than a few % of their workforce actually out sick with this virus- just a very poor excuse all the way around- I'm done for now with these guys.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I AM NOT SHIPPING ANY MORE CUES UNTIL NEXT YEAR- another issue today with a cue in transit- not buying or selling anymore in 2020- enough is enough with these shipping companies! None of them can possibly have more than a few % of their workforce actually out sick with this virus- just a very poor excuse all the way around- I'm done for now with these guys.

as larger areas of the country are being affected by covid-19 the shippers are becoming less and less dependable. Most packages get through but many are taking way longer than normal.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if HungarIAN'S CUE GETS DELIVERED.

can't blame a lot of employees at usps, fedex and ups for not wanting to handle packages and have close contacts with customers.

best,
brian kc

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Who's responsible.......?

I never take it on myself to just ship things out without the buyer giving me their complete instructions IN WRITING.
For the most part, I agree that the onus is primarily on the shipper HOWEVER, if someone tells me to only put X amount of dollars on the customs paper instead of what was actually paid, the role immediately gets reversed and I am no longer responsible.
The same goes for the insurance thing when it gets mailed here in the states. If the buyer doesn't want to pay the full amount of insurance for the product they purchased I am not responsible if it gets lost or damaged.
This is agreed upon in writing by both of us and we both have a copy of what was said.

Now....with all of that said, as the shipper I will do whatever I can to help locate lost packages, file claims, repair damaged items. But I'm not going use my time to repair for free something that was cause by another person neglect. I believe this to be a fair approach to the situation for us and both parties have agreed to such conditions in writing and is binding.
I've only had to use this approach once in over 20 years to protect myself from paypal siding with the buyer.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
If you are in the business of selling cues, check with your business insurance agent/company to determine if they can sell you a policy/rider to insure products in transit. I am always amazed at the coverages that are available if one asks.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
In this case where the buyer refused insurance I feel that the risk then falls to the buyer. However, even though the buyer should assume the risk, the seller will go down as somebody bad to deal with if you don't make him whole.

i would try to smile and bear it taking the hit in this case unless the buyer is beng a jerk. I would also sell future items for enough to cover insurance and never bring up the subject with the buyer. They will think you are a nice guy for covering the insurance and everybody is happy, and protected.

hu

There is no free shipping or insurance. This is the buyers responsibility to tell me how much, when and where.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
There is no free shipping or insurance. This is the buyers responsibility to tell me how much, when and where.

Except that is wrong. If you don't insure and an elephant steps on the cue in transit, the buyer would win a PayPal dispute, a credit card dispute, anything.

Insurance protects the shipper, not the receiver.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

I just recently had a similar situation 2 months ago. I purchased an item which I offered a lower price and ask for no insurance and cheap shipping. After 3 weeks of the tracking saying in transit to the next facility the seller contacted me and asked if it had actually arrived since I had not contacted him and I told him no. He offered to refund me my money back but I said no I took the chance to get a little lower price, I thanked him for offering and that was it or so I thought. Two and a half weeks later it showed up but the tracking still said in transit to the next facility , go figure. It took well over a month but it did show up. The package was coming from Texas to Ohio.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
In this case where the buyer refused insurance I feel that the risk then falls to the buyer. However, even though the buyer should assume the risk, the seller will go down as somebody bad to deal with if you don't make him whole.

i would try to smile and bear it taking the hit in this case unless the buyer is beng a jerk. I would also sell future items for enough to cover insurance and never bring up the subject with the buyer. They will think you are a nice guy for covering the insurance and everybody is happy, and protected.

hu

Insurance protects the shipper, not the buyer. If you aren't making enough on the sale, don't sell it. But insure the package so you get your money back as the shipper, because the buyer will win any dispute

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Do ya'll think that paypal would side with a buyer who IN WRITING agreed that he would accept the risk of uninsured shipping?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
First off I am no expert, but it is shippers responsibility to do everything right.

First off I am no expert, but it is shippers responsibility to do everything right.

1. Pack item for a war, to protect contents.

2. I always put secondary, address to & From Lable or paper work inside package.

3. I always TYPE & Print Label, then cover in Tape to protect infor from moisture.

4. I always insure item I sold for cost of refunding for item should it be lost, stolen, or destroyed.

5. I alway provide person receiving package with TRACKING INFO.

6. I always photograph item sold, or have stock photo of say book or other item that can be replaced easy.

7. I tend to overkill, because carrier are not perfect, people steal, drib=ver in truck make wrong delieveries, people are not perfect.

It's call CYA, it easy to do, and difficulty to do after the fact.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I insure everything over $200 or so. I never ask the buyer if he wants insurance, I always do it on my own, it comes out of my profit, as it gives me relative coverage and piece of mind. The way I see it, would you rather spend an extra $20 or create a thread about the potential shit show shipping situation you are in?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Pack item for a war, to protect contents.

2. I always put secondary, address to & From Lable or paper work inside package.

3. I always TYPE & Print Label, then cover in Tape to protect infor from moisture.

4. I always insure item I sold for cost of refunding for item should it be lost, stolen, or destroyed.

5. I alway provide person receiving package with TRACKING INFO.

6. I always photograph item sold, or have stock photo of say book or other item that can be replaced easy.

7. I tend to overkill, because carrier are not perfect, people steal, drib=ver in truck make wrong delieveries, people are not perfect.

It's call CYA, it easy to do, and difficulty to do after the fact.

I DO Everything you do, but the problem right now is- a lot of the packages being mailed via USPS are just not getting to destination AND their tracking info is the WORST imaginable- well government should NEVER have been in the mail business from day one. Covid should have nothing to do with handling a package or delivering it to someone's home-

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure it will be delivered. I received 2 cues recently after a long delay and the status was the same.

Julian

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I DO Everything you do, but the problem right now is- a lot of the packages being mailed via USPS are just not getting to destination AND their tracking info is the WORST imaginable- well government should NEVER have been in the mail business from day one. Covid should have nothing to do with handling a package or delivering it to someone's home-

Well you are right, but the other problem is people are shopping on-line, my buddy is a UPS Loader of Brown Trucks. They are slammed.

UPS is hiring, but it's a long process. Background checks, drug testing, and a lot of those applying fail.

USPS has a new excuse, Covid - 19, and it just another excuse.

One of the other problems is ever package has a BAR CODE, in a perfect world, each time it is moved, it should be scanned.

Not napping, and then they say we do not know where it is?:angry:

I remember using Fed-X like 5 - 7 time a week, back then they knew were every air packed was 24 X 7, today it the same problem, marginal service.

Thank goodness I am retired.:)

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Except that is wrong. If you don't insure and an elephant steps on the cue in transit, the buyer would win a PayPal dispute, a credit card dispute, anything.

Insurance protects the shipper, not the receiver.

Define wrong.
If I have in writing that the buyer has instructed me NOT to insure the package and/or put a different amount on the custom papers they will side with me in the end. How do I know this? ;)

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Insurance protects the shipper, not the buyer. If you aren't making enough on the sale, don't sell it. But insure the package so you get your money back as the shipper, because the buyer will win any dispute

I'm not here to argue your point....but, If I have IN WRITING from the buyer his/her instructions to ship an item and NOT to insure it because they want to be cheap about it I can almost guarantee you paypal will not side with the buyer. How do I know this? :wink:
The buyer may initially be awarded the claim but I will bet I can get it reversed with the information I have in hand.
I as a buyer cannot tell a shipper in writing to not add any additional insurance to cover the full amount of the product and expect to receive a full refund for something I did not receive. That in itself is wrong thinking.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I mean look...if you want cover yourself as a shipper and pay the cash out of your profits to make yourself and the buyer feel good that is fine. But if I ship you something it is left totally up to the buyer to tell me what they would like me to do for them.
Now if they would prefer to leave it up to me and do what I feel is best for both of us.
Price + shipping + insurance = the amount I receive to ship said item. The item may be getting shipped to any continent in world. It is not the same price for me to ship something to Calif. as it is to China or anywhere else outside the states for that matter.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is working at the post office i dropped 2 items off at. Usually you hear radios, jabbering , carts moving - Absolute dead silence and I looked through the slots and saw absolutely no one back there. It took 3 days to accept it by scan at that facility.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Probably already said but you have to wait unfortunately. This Covid has totally screwed up delivery of all USPS packages. It'd be sad for you if you gave his money back and then sometime after the cue was delivered. Then you're out double unless the buyer has morals and refunds you his refund. Which I would expect the majority of us do. Have morals that is. :)Good Luck

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corona delay. Tracking stills shows it's on the way but it's been 18 days since it shipped and the USPS claim has been paid to me already.
I had a package disappear and USPS still showed my package was "out for delivery".
It was 'lost' over Easter 2018 weekend and Keith Josey's neighbor brought him my cue a day or so later. Keith did the work, returned the cue to me and USPS still showed "out for delivery".

Keith and Sherry were AAA+ in communication during this, I was frantic because it was my Rick Howard cue. (Keith turned shafts down from 13mm to 12.75, primo job).

Last edited: