Mosconi Cup announcement coming on Monday

bb9ball

Registered
Yeah, seriously, not much here.

Nothing about the logistics. Fans or no fans? How will international travel be handled and will mandatory quarantines be in play for those entering the UK?

The article states "Matchroom Pool are still hopeful and determined the partypoker Mosconi Cup will take place this year and are in constant detailed discussions with the relevant organisations and personnel to stay up to date." That's another way of saying "let's see if there's a Mosconi Cup this year."

Also, I'm not sure why Bergman would come before Thorpe if the selections are based on 2020 play alone. The only major event of the year for the Americans in 2020 was at Derby City, where Billy had a brilliant performance, barely losing out to Orcullo for Master of the Table. Billy also had a rock solid campaign at the 2019 Mosconi, where his singles win over Jayson Shaw to open Session 4 set the table for Team USA's victory. All that said, Bergman MUST also be on any Team USA squad.

This announcement is, at best, a "so what" in my eyes.

From the "wayback machine", it looks like these are the ranking events that were played for this year's rankings.

International Open Oct 28 - Nov 2, 2019
World 9-Ball Championship Dec 10-17, 2019
Diamond Las Vegas Open March 10-14
Predator World 10-Ball March 15-20

I am with you on this not being "huge" news and am also wondering how it might work. I just quoted what they posted on their Facebook page. I was curious if there was any info after watching part of the World Snooker Championship and posted here to remind myself to look for the update.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
From the "wayback machine", it looks like these are the ranking events that were played for this year's rankings.

International Open Oct 28 - Nov 2, 2019
World 9-Ball Championship Dec 10-17, 2019
Diamond Las Vegas Open March 10-14
Predator World 10-Ball March 15-20

I am with you on this not being "huge" news and am also wondering how it might work. I just quoted what they posted on their Facebook page. I was curious if there was any info after watching part of the World Snooker Championship and posted here to remind myself to look for the update.

Thanks for that. Bergman had a fine 4th place finish at the International, so if that counts as 2020, I'm on board for sure with Bergman being the first pick.

General lack of information in this Matchroom press release remains disheartening.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course the event would be much better with fans, but if it can only happen without fans, then so be it. It is better than nothing in my eyes. Money will still be on the line and the players will still feel some level of pressure. This has to be planned well in advance though because the players will have to be quarantined and tested.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Of course the event would be much better with fans, but if it can only happen without fans, then so be it. It is better than nothing in my eyes.

I not sure it is better than nothing.

What makes the Mosconi great? To me, the answer is:

A) Teams consisting of in-form players. Those selected are those that played well in the year leading up to the event, so everybody's in stroke.

B) Huge crowds. The Mosconi is the only pool event in the world where thousands watch the play live at a single table simultaneously. The event draws the most enthusiastic audience of the year, and the electricity in Alexandra Palace is hard to fathom unless you've experienced it.

C) Rowdy, raucous crowds not found in any other event that add both excitement and tension to the event. Flag waving and patriotic cheering are practically the exclusive domain of the Mosconi Cup, and it creates the best atmosphere for competition in our sport.

All the defining characteristics of the Mosconi would be thrown out the window as I see it and, honestly, I think the Mosconi with no fans would be comparable to, not better than, nothing.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not quite sure why Bergman would be confirmed as the 1st US team player before Shane or Skyler anyway?

They based it on who did best in the ranking events to date, and that was Bergman -- 4th in the International 9-Ball Open and 3rd in Diamond Las Vegas Open.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I not sure it is better than nothing.

What makes the Mosconi great? To me, the answer is:

A) Teams consisting of in-form players. Those selected are those that played well in the year leading up to the event, so everybody's in stroke.

B) Huge crowds. The Mosconi is the only pool event in the world where thousands watch the play live at a single table simultaneously. The event draws the most enthusiastic audience of the year, and the electricity in Alexandra Palace is hard to fathom unless you've experienced it.

C) Rowdy, raucous crowds not found in any other event that add both excitement and tension to the event. Flag waving and patriotic cheering are practically the exclusive domain of the Mosconi Cup, and it creates the best atmosphere for competition in our sport.

All the defining characteristics of the Mosconi would be thrown out the window as I see it and, honestly, I think the Mosconi with no fans would be comparable to, not better than, nothing.
It certainly be lacking something without the fans, but I think it would still be worthwhile- these guys are very competitive and would certainly try very hard for personal pride, to come through for their teammates, and the money. I’d still be interested in watching

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It certainly be lacking something without the fans, but I think it would still be worthwhile- these guys are very competitive and would certainly try very hard for personal pride, to come through for their teammates, and the money. I’d still be interested in watching
Would it be a good show for the broadcasters -- the people who pay for most of the expenses -- or would a dull show dull the brand?

Matchroom did their very best to have an audience for the Snooker World Championship (on right now) but on the evening of the first day of the tournament, the return of event restrictions ended the live audience. (I'm not a fan of the canned applause that replaced the people.)

I'm hopeful enough that I still have reservations in London, but things are not looking good for travel.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm hopeful enough that I still have reservations in London, but things are not looking good for travel.

Good for you, Bob. I have my event tickets and a place to stay in London, but I'm not booking the flights until I'm sure this is happening. Like you, I'm not very optimistic.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you wonder why pool is dead

Comments like this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would hope no company ever would put you in charge of marketing.

Its only the most successful event by FAR every year.

:bash:

You might be right. Let’s find out by changing the name of the cup from mosconi to a dead european cueist that hated nineball and never played the game, maybe joe davis from snooker and billiards fame or some other rail nurse expert, make jump shots a requirement, all races are to three, the shot clock is only ten seconds, and everyone in the audience must drink at least one bourbon one scotch and one beer. And if that doesn’t bring life into a dead sport well i just don’t know what else to do.

Don’t worry, no one will ever put me in charge of marketing.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You might be right. Let’s find out by changing the name of the cup from mosconi to a dead european cueist that hated nineball and never played the game, maybe joe davis from snooker and billiards fame or some other rail nurse expert, make jump shots a requirement, all races are to three, the shot clock is only ten seconds, and everyone in the audience must drink at least one bourbon one scotch and one beer. And if that doesn’t bring life into a dead sport well i just don’t know what else to do.

Don’t worry, no one will ever put me in charge of marketing.

Lol. Don't forget to make the players chug a 40oz beer after every game - this is a match i could get into :grin-square:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Announcing players may be premature. What if it is cancelled? Those selected this year automatically play for next year and there will be no selection next year? Or those selected this year become reserve players for next year :grin-square:

g1.JPG

Scrunge19

Registered
Yeah them photoshopping out sponsors images on the Bergman/Gorst pictures was really unprofessional. And replacing the Cuetec logo on Gorst's shirt with a Predator one takes it even further. How they thought that was an acceptable thing to do just blows my mind.

On a totally unrelated note, did anyone see the announcement that Matchroom renewed their partnership with Predator? I've taken the liberty to include the official announcement photo below.

attachment.php

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep.

Five months from now, sitting in an arena shoulder to shoulder with thousand of fans, all yelling and cheering at the top of their lungs.

Just where I want to be in the middle of this pandemic.

Lou Figueroa

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep.

Five months from now, sitting in an arena shoulder to shoulder with thousand of fans, all yelling and cheering at the top of their lungs.

Lou Figueroa

I'll bet we have fans in the basketball or baseball seats before that. Not saying it's right. 4 months from now we might have a better view and make a more informed decision then about fans.

Im ok with or without fans-Everyone knows "This year is different" and it is not likely to permanently mar the event from a lack of fans due to "an act of God".

I remember when the baseball players went on strike and half? a season was lost. "Half" the fans said they would never watch a baseball game again because the players were thoughtless creeps and they had a point unlike this situation. The stands were packed the following year and ever since.

Whether it is played without fans or not played at all, the first year it is back to normal, it will be sold out.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep.

Lou Figueroa

five months from now we might have a vaccine, or herd immunity.

anyway, i don't think MC would be the same without a crowd and the pressure it brings. if the teams just match up in an empty arena i think europe wins easily, no doubt. you see, with a proper MC crowd other things come in play. that's why being an excellent pool player doesn't always equal being able to fade the MC pressure, like kaci and kazakis has shown.. and sky for that matter - not the very best player in the world, but one of the best mosconi pressure players ever

i hope there will be a proper MC, and if i know mr hearn right he will try to make it happen with a crowd. maybe only fans with antibodies (or a majority)? i know atleast one who is going and is done with the covid crap

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Im ok with or without fans-Everyone knows "This year is different" and it is not likely to permanently mar the event from a lack of fans due to "an act of God".

Agreed 100%. The Mosconi Cup brand won't suffer at all, nor would it suffer in any way from cancellation of the event.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet we have fans in the basketball or baseball seats before that. Not saying it's right. 4 months from now we might have a better view and make a more informed decision then about fans.

I remember when the baseball players went on strike and half? a season was lost. "Half" the fans said they would never watch a baseball game again because the players were thoughtless creeps and they had a point unlike this situation. The stands were packed the following year and ever since.

Whether it is played without fans or not played at all, the first year it is back to normal, it will be sold out.

What do you dream is going to happen in the next 120 days?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
five months from now we might have a vaccine, or herd immunity.

anyway, i don't think MC would be the same without a crowd and the pressure it brings. if the teams just match up in an empty arena i think europe wins easily, no doubt. you see, with a proper MC crowd other things come in play. that's why being an excellent pool player doesn't always equal being able to fade the MC pressure, like kaci and kazakis has shown.. and sky for that matter - not the very best player in the world, but one of the best mosconi pressure players ever

i hope there will be a proper MC, and if i know mr hearn right he will try to make it happen with a crowd. maybe only fans with antibodies (or a majority)? i know atleast one who is going and is done with the covid crap

In five months we're going to have squadoush.

Maybe, by early next year, there will be something you'll be willing to have injected into your arm that hasn't killed off an army of monkeys. AND THEN you'll have to wait in line to get the vaccine. So maybe, by April, May, June, they will have produced enough vials to hold the vaccine and enough syringes to inject it, and you'll eventually get on the list to get it during a visit to your primary care physician.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: