Can I just leave my personal cue in an upright wall cue rack (instead of in a case)?

NYCnoob99

Registered
Half the fun of having my own table is less fuss to play. Is there really any benefit of taking apart my cue and storing it in a case after every play at home? Can I just keep it permanently in upright position in the wall rack at home next to my table? Assuming that will be fine but want to get opinions.

It's in a regular room, not a garage or anything so I don't think temperature or moisture would be an issue.

Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Half the fun of having my own table is less fuss to play. Is there really any benefit of taking apart my cue and storing it in a case after every play at home? Can I just keep it permanently in upright position in the wall rack at home next to my table? Assuming that will be fine but want to get opinions.

It's in a regular room, not a garage or anything so I don't think temperature or moisture would be an issue.

Thanks!
As the owner/manager of our poolroom, I keep all my cues in my wall cue rack in my office. I make sure to keep the blinds closed on the nearby window, so that they don’t get any direct sunlight on them. I’ve never had a problem, although I just have to be careful taking them off the wall rack not to bang them up, as my office is very small and always a mess!

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my house cues have been sitting like this for years. My playing cue ends up laying on the table when I am done playing 95% of the time.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I hope its OK, mine have been sitting in my cue rack for 10 years (except for when in use) without problems.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue stored consistently between 40 and 75 degrees F. and below 60% humidity will do whatever it was going to do in terms of movement whether it is stored as a one piece or two piece, in or out of a case, laying down or standing up.

Other more extremes of temperature or greater humidity will probably result in more drastic movement of the wood.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Thanks!

Depends on whether it's an inside wall, or an outside wall. Inside wall, probably OK, won't have too much temperature or humidity change. Outside wall, I wouldn't recommend it. Too much variance there.

Best advice still is to put the cue in a case, and store the case upright in a closet.

All the best,
WW

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will give you some food for thought.

No one will pick up your cue or use it if you were not there and they were visiting your family.

If there was a break in, heaven forbid, there’s a lot less chance your cue will get stolen but that
requires leaving it in your case stored somewhere else. I always kept my best cues in a case &
was tucked away in a closet. I didn’t want anyone finding it in plain sight if they had bad intentions.

If you find screwing your cue together is a nuisance, then your experience going to pool halls must
be a little limited. I enjoy the act of taking my cue out of my case, removing the protectors and then
placing the protectors In a leather protector holder on my case and the best part is assembling the
shaft and cue butt. I get to examine my cue again, enjoy its beautiful design & incredible workmanship.

You see the only time I look at my cue, I literally mean closely examine it, is twice.....2x and it happens
every time I play pool. It occurs when I take my cue out of its case to use it and just before I return it back
to my case after finishing pool play. I never look at my cue, the design, how pretty it is other than when I
take it out and put it back. I never look at my pool cue when I am playing, never have and likely never will.

Sure it remains within my sight but the thought of having it hang in a rack as wall art is contrary to my way
of relating to my pool cues. If I ever did that, it would have to be a wall cue display case that has a secure
locking feature. Nope, I don’t think leaving any of my cues in a wall rack would be smart to do but that’s just me.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kept my Meucci in the trunk of my car through sone freezing winters and baking summers for nearly 20 years and it’s fine.

Of course, by fine I mean it’s straight by Salvador Dali standards. So what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
good wood in the cue no problems bad wood from a cheap green cue will warp some
no matter what you do to it.

you use the table more if you can just go and pick it up off the table and shoot.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kept my Meucci in the trunk of my car through sone freezing winters and baking summers for nearly 20 years and it’s fine.

Of course, by fine I mean it’s straight by Salvador Dali standards. So what do I know?

Same here. Often in my trunk in Canadian winters, 14 years old and as good as new. I have an assortment of cues on the racks at home that are also fine.

Re a comment on cue being stolen if a break up in. Not something most thieves are going to take but, if they do, more likely to grab a case than a cue on the wall.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also leave mine together, bit in one of those floor freestanding racks that hold cues by the butt only.

not yet addressed, flooding or other household calamities. An exposed cue is vulnerable to additional risks.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here. Often in my trunk in Canadian winters, 14 years old and as good as new. I have an assortment of cues on the racks at home that are also fine.

Re a comment on cue being stolen if a break up in. Not something most thieves are going to take but, if they do, more likely to grab a case than a cue on the wall.

I was being cute. My shaft and backup shaft warped to all hell. Fortunately that’s not my playing cue anymore.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to watch out for, especially if the wall rack is the type where you push the stick upward into a hole, then it drops a bit into a recess for the butt cap, is damaging the shaft when you take the cue out. I was super aware of this on my wall rack, and in 8 years of owning it, about 5 years in I had a brain fart and put a nice gouge in the shaft taking it out. I was able to steam the gauge out.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Sunlight, even a small amount, will eventually take it's toll on the appearance of a wooden cue, causing clear coats to yellow and wood to oxidize. So make sure the room is well protected with shades.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had my cue on the rack for years however recently I will turn the cue the opposite way (tip down) for about 2 weeks at a time just to level it out.

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice almost every night, so I find it easier to just lay my shooter and break cue on the table after I'm done. All of my other sticks of any value stay in cases until I'm ready to exchange my shooting cue. My wall rack is filled with sticks I don't care about as much for when we throw parties.