cheap sets: how late is late to pay up?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking 100 dollar sets, 50 dollar sets, even random 20 or 40 dollar friendly races to 3. Everybody wants to venmo but then sometimes they forget or wait days and I feel stupid texting someone about 20 bucks. These are people I know aka pool buds. They drink but they don't get wasted. I win every single time so can't complain much but I do feel like it's disrespectful to "forget" to venmo the same night or carry cash. Am I overreacting? Or is this a thing everyone deals with. I'm used to settling right after in cash, I hate venmo. I don't care about the money it's the principle. Sometimes it's a few hundred bucks and you're wondering if they'll ever venmo you but can't call them out after the set because you know them and it would be a little weird cause it's just a few hundred bucks. Thoughts?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any time after you’ve left the pool hall is too late.

Sadly, it seems to happen way too often.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In God Trust, others put money in a pile, party "A's ", and part "B's", Winner taker pile. They you will get in another argument over who won, who gets paid.

Gambling in Pool Room is a big pain in backside.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I'm talking 100 dollar sets, 50 dollar sets, even random 20 or 40 dollar friendly races to 3. Everybody wants to venmo but then sometimes they forget or wait days and I feel stupid texting someone about 20 bucks. These are people I know aka pool buds. They drink but they don't get wasted. I win every single time so can't complain much but I do feel like it's disrespectful to "forget" to venmo the same night or carry cash. Am I overreacting? Or is this a thing everyone deals with. I'm used to settling right after in cash, I hate venmo. I don't care about the money it's the principle. Sometimes it's a few hundred bucks and you're wondering if they'll ever venmo you but can't call them out after the set because you know them and it would be a little weird cause it's just a few hundred bucks. Thoughts?

I gamble for cash.

Venmo is for soy day trading.

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe if your playing sets for money, then you need to be able to pay in full after the match. If you cannot afford to pay then just play for fun. If it is friends that you are playing for cash and they eventually do pay you in full every time, then it is what it is and think of it as future earnings. If they dont pay you then don't play them for money anymore. I'm guessing if they won they wouldn't expect you to pay?...
If it is not a friend then they need to pay in full after the match.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Once the cues have been put away the debt needs to be settled.

Cash or transfer (with verification). I'm easy that way.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What? Pay to play. Settle after every set. No way they go home with their cue if they can't settle for cash on the spot.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I dont understand venmo but if I guy says he will
venmo me the $ why would it take more than 30
seconds to do it after he said it?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I dont understand venmo but if I guy says he will
venmo me the $ why would it take more than 30
seconds to do it after he said it?

It doesn’t.

Lee Trevino once famously said, “Pressure isn’t a 4 foot putt for $50,000. Pressure is a 4 foot putt for five dollars when you only have three dollars in your pocket…“ :grin:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Don't know what venmo means and haven't read one thread but yours, but from my era we Always Posted up before the match started. Period

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn’t.

Lee Trevino once famously said, “Pressure isn’t a 4 foot putt for $50,000. Pressure is a 4 foot putt for five dollars when you only have three dollars in your pocket…“ :grin:

Precisely what I was thinking.

Guy says I'll venmo
Me: takes out phone to confirm it's in my account.

If I was in this position and I saw these people on a regular, I would just wait until they wanted to play
again and say you have to pay me from last time.

Or ask them to play and bring it up then.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Establish before you start pay after each set. Anything else and sooner or later you will get air barreled.

The only exception is if you are trying to hide you speed and pretend to be an unsophisticated bumpkin. Anything else - pay after each set.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should play and pay by the set!! It might save your ass too if you find yourself outmatched!:D

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am another who doesnt know what venmo means.
That said even if you are only gambling for $20 the debt should be settled up before you guys walk away from the table. Im sure they would expect you to pay up if they had won so the same should be expected of them. On the other hand if they are good and regular "customers" maybe let it ride for a little while but definitely dont go back to the table before collecting from them.