Carpet under pool table (for sound reduction)

jereazzo

Hi there! I'm new to this group :) I recently bought a pool table which is placed directly on a tiled floor. Beneath this room is a bedroom, which is separated by a concrete floor. For obvious reasons, since sound travels more through solids, I had an issue when someone goes to sleep in this bedroom while the others are still playing upstairs. Is there an acoustic carpet, or maybe a solution to help reduce the noise?
TIA, Jeremy

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there! I'm new to this group :) I recently bought a pool table which is placed directly on a tiled floor. Beneath this room is a bedroom, which is separated by a concrete floor. For obvious reasons, since sound travels more through solids, I had an issue when someone goes to sleep in this bedroom while the others are still playing upstairs. Is there an acoustic carpet, or maybe a solution to help reduce the noise?
TIA, Jeremy
Some info: https://www.soundproofingtips.com/soundproofing-floors/ Floor Muffler looks pretty good.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
... I had an issue when someone goes to sleep in this bedroom while the others are still playing upstairs....

Sounds to me like the sleeper has the issue, not you.:boring2:

But let me be sure I understand...the floor between the bedroom and the pool room above is concrete? That's unusual.

If so, yes start with a heavy pad and large rug but soft materials anywhere in the room will help....curtains, ceiling tiles, soft furniture, teddy bears, those big foam we're #1 hands.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome aboard. Our entire house is tile expect for the pool room. More comfortable to stand on (not deal beaker)....but we have friend that had a ball go off the table and crack a tile.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TIA, Jeremy

Does the table have a ball return or drop pockets?

My table has a ball return and when I need to keep the noise level down I simply put large towels in the pockets to eliminate the noise of the ball return.

I take the towels out when you know who isn't home.

Last edited:

jereazzo

@haystj The pool table has ball return, so when the ball drops in the 'plastic' pocket it then drops on a wooden surface, which then drops again another 1cm to reach the compartment where the balls are gathered.

jereazzo

Sounds to me like the sleeper has the issue, not you.:boring2:

But let me be sure I understand...the floor between the bedroom and the pool room above is concrete? That's unusual.

If so, yes start with a heavy pad and large rug but soft materials anywhere in the room will help....curtains, ceiling tiles, soft furniture, teddy bears, those big foam we're #1 hands.

Yes, it is a bit unusual. But in our country (Malta) it is a very common thing. hence, sounds travel more unfortunately. I will try to place a rug underneath and eventually place some towels in the pockets as haystj suggested :grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To stop sound from going through surfaces you need mass. With a concrete floor, that is probably the best way to stop the sound. In the US, we don't typically have concrete floors except for the foundation level. I've seen houses built in Greece, and they use very thick poured concrete for all interior walls and floors.

Is the person below you from your family or another family? If your own family, could you ask them if they hear all noises, or maybe just the breaks, etc?

I live in an apartment, and I have another family below me. I try to limit my pool to the daytime, and if I do play at night, I stop by 2230. I also try to limit hard break shots, as they are the loudest.

I have a drop pocket table, and I put socks inside the pockets so when the balls fall in they don't continue to roll around. But ball return tables are louder still, and cutting out some of that noise will help.

Carpet I think will help more for footstep noise (on an American style wood frame floor). I don't know if it will do anything for noise at pool table height. Those soft materials reduce the echos from the sounds, but they don't do much to prevent the original sound from going through a surface. (that is what the mass does).

Oh, I also play some music when I play to try to disguise the sound of the balls.

A carpet on the tile certainly won't hurt the noise transmission, and is worth a try. It can also keep your balls from chipping when they will eventually fly off the table (and protect the tiles as well).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.