Cue maker signatures

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any cue makers whose signatures/logos really turn you off? I have a few I dislike. For production cues, it's Predator:

predator_logo.jpeg

If Predator would make some of their cues without the logo, I think they would look better. Without the logo, the cue could still be identified as a Predator cue by the bumper, which has a more subtle Predator logo stamped into it.

I dislike the way Mezz puts the model number on some of their cues:

mezz_serial_no.jpeg

Overall, I think the Mezz EC-9 looks really nice, but the ring with the model number ruins the cue for me.

For custom cues, I dislike some of Ariel Carmeli's signatures on his cues. I really like Carmeli cues, but sometimes I see his signature, and I think, "God, he went to all that work to make a beautiful cue, then he ruined it when he signed it." For instance:

carmeli_sig.jpeg

To me, that looks terrible! I'm glad Ariel Carmeli sometimes uses the AC logo. :)

I'm not a fan of signatures near the points of a cue. You better have a neat, stylish signature, like Tascarella, or a simple, clean logo like Randy Mobley, if you put your mark near the points, otherwise I think it ruins the look of the cue.

Last edited:

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
01557584a9755306d4cede644a5c5b54.jpg

882d5b4517acf2ae4955d5e3e4a9f4e0.jpg

I think sharpie or pencil can look good if the signature is done correctly. I digitized my signature and engrave it with my cnc so that no matter the cue it looks the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Some have a great looking signature, be it digitized, stamped, engraved, etc., then have what looks like their grandkids add the date.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Schick engraved signature and the year made below it was about perfect.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard Black & Ernie Guitterez have exquisite signatures and add a touch of class to their cues.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my Richard Black cue signature- that one and Tascarella are some of the best - I think it is absurd to sign a Hoppe style cue inside the white Hoppe ring in the butt sleeve- the white - usually ivory Hoppe ring is THE ESSENCE of a Hoppe style cue - to ruin the cue ( in my opinion) with a signature inside that ring is just wrong.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is absurd to sign a Hoppe style cue inside the white Hoppe ring in the butt sleeve- the white - usually ivory Hoppe ring is THE ESSENCE of a Hoppe style cue - to ruin the cue ( in my opinion) with a signature inside that ring is just wrong.

What about this one:

cohen_sig.jpeg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cohen is not quite a signature versus just a person’s name. To be a signature, it has to be hand written
in a distinctive way unique to that specific individual. That is why signatures on voting ballots are verified.
Otherwise it amounts to a printed version of a person’s name which hardly equates to an actual signature.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Show me in black & white were a signature has to be perfect, ledgeable. It's, how one writes their name. Just because you can not write ledgibally don't make you check worthless.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that too big of a signature tends to detract from the beauty of a cue. Or what about when a cue maker puts too much information like a signature and the full date: 10-31-2020.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well everyone signature is unique, be it readable, or not, it is their signature. I personally think all Cuemakes should sign if its pretty, readable or not. My reason is simple, it it the marker mark that is difficult to counterfit.

Many Cuemaker just engrave the butt cap, with a logo, design, or a single letter like Dennis Searing. Very easy to copy if you have engraving machine, and skill to use.

Yes people do counterfeit, and sell counterfeits, don't believe me. Check E-bay, how many times has someone saon in a post warning there is a Ciunterfit ________, on E-bay beware.

People from the Middle East write backwards, it what they do, start from the right side of Pades and writing left in thei r launguage. They do same when singing their names. Strange to watch em write in reverse.