Mosconi Cup Day One

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of ya'll are a bunch of nits. Crying about the color of balls? Jesus fuck, get over yourselves. They're not even that bad.
We are stating an opinion that we don’t like them. Maybe your new to the internet little fellow but that’s what you do Or we wouldn’t have anything to talk about. Maybe the world wide web isn’t for you If you can’t handle it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If a pro player playing in a team match of this importance, who is apparently more concerned with the appearance of their wardrobe to fail to take all the necessary precautions to insure his shirt does not potentially make contact with a ball on the table, he deserves the foul. It’s that simple.
agreed.... Pathedic foul. So easily avoidable if he used a rest. Shaw did an equally stupid shot later in the evening just in an effort to avoid use of the rest.

There's apparently a skill set that this generation is missing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
re: traffic lights, there are actually very good reasons backed by sound research for why traffic lights are the colors that they are. the same isn't true in billiards. just a bunch of old fucking goats who are too used to something being a certain way for no real reason other than tradition, looking for the first opportunity to complain. when the standard color of tournament cloth was changed from green to blue, people cried. ball color change? people cry. when rules change? people cry. material tech improvements in equipment? still crying. Pool is full of cry babies.
I don’t know your speed as a player....but I have played enough that I can look at a table and see the pattern to get out and the trouble areas....in a few seconds....at the rotation games. Changing the color coding interferes with that process....my biggest beef is switching purple to the 5-ball and 13-ball.
I used to play chess...for $$...I would only play with the Staunton design for the same reason....I don’t want my pattern recognition interfered with.

If it was change for a good reason, I would adjust....but I suspect the decision to change for the sake of change came from people who need a GPS to find the end rail.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Match two was doubles between young guns of Euro, Gorst and Filler against old timers from USA, Shane and Deuel. Both teams are struggling to make a ball on the break. In fact, they are struggling throughout the match, with many misses by both sides. Costly scratch by Shane in one game and several errors by Corey (who looked weak and distracted at times). Game five featured dozens of innings with miss, miss, mistake and miss in succession at one time. All of them looked very human on this tough Rasson table with tight pockets.

I liked Joey Barnes commentary very much. HE GETS IT! Excellent analysis with a clear, strong voice. Didn't care for the phoney crowd noise between games. No need for it. The DAZN stream is very spotty, with many lapses where you had to reboot. It was hard to watch two complete games in succession. In the end it was a weak position shot by Shane to get on the nine that cost USA the match 5-3.
Joey Barnes is the man, one of Texas' finest that's for sure....this Joey is Joey Gray though, OKC champ.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not going to share his comments and just leave us hanging?

i wanna know too, lol. can't have been very praiseful

first day wasn't impressive from anyone. ok table is tough and cloth is fast but albin missed like four shots that didn't even threaten the pocket. very off-season-like play from the whole lot

CaptainBly

Registered
I don't hate the black of the stripes. To me, it's the changing of the traditional colors of the 4 and 5. Why do that? Could have made the 4 the traditional color purple and just changed one ball set, the 5 and 13.
Maybe there is something to the English hating the color orange?
Also Emily, last year stated something to the effect, If players want to play in Matchroom events they are going to have to get over the new balls. They signed a multiyear endorsement deal for these balls.
Emily is doing a lot of great things for the game right now but I feel this is a huge miss.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't hate the black of the stripes. To me, it's the changing of the traditional colors of the 4 and 5. Why do that? Could have made the 4 the traditional color purple and just changed one ball set, the 5 and 13.
Also Emily, last year stated something to the effect, If players want to play in Matchroom events they are going to have to get over the new balls. They signed a multiyear endorsement deal for these balls.
Emily is doing a lot of great things for the game right now but I feel this is a huge miss.

it's aramith that wants to sell a new set of balls. matchroom doesn't manufacture pool balls. and i get their thinking, how do you make money on ball sets that last for decades? that's a business hard to scale without "inventing" new stuff now and then. but i'm not a fan of the color scheme

i think you mixed up the english with the irish. english = love orange, irish republicans = hate orange if not combined with green and white

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your last paragraph is the bottom line - it’s all about $ and who was willing to give them the most $ for sponsoring the sets of balls to be used at the Mosconi Cup.

It’s a sad statement that they were willing to sell out and go with a set of balls that is so contrary to the basic color groups that have been used for pool balls since the beginning of time. As someone else stated, try doing that with snooker ball colors and see how that goes over!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
re: traffic lights, there are actually very good reasons backed by sound research for why traffic lights are the colors that they are. the same isn't true in billiards. just a bunch of old fucking goats who are too used to something being a certain way for no real reason other than tradition, looking for the first opportunity to complain. when the standard color of tournament cloth was changed from green to blue, people cried. ball color change? people cry. when rules change? people cry. material tech improvements in equipment? still crying. Pool is full of cry babies.
This particular ball set was designed by Matchroom just for their events. Their oh-so-lame rationale was they show up better on 'small electronic devices' aka cell-phones. Bottom line is they suck. Big time. The standard colors have stood the test of time and are universally liked. Its not crying just fact.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This particular ball set was designed by Matchroom just for their events. Their oh-so-lame rationale was they show up better on 'small electronic devices' aka cell-phones. Bottom line is they suck. Big time. The standard colors have stood the test of time and are universally liked. Its not crying just fact.
The ball colors show up on cell phones and other devices the exact same color that they actually are, just like the traditional colors did. If someone is colorblind, that’s just too bad, but why should all of us have to suffer?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball colors show up on cell phones and other devices the exact same color that they actually are, just like the traditional colors did. If someone is colorblind, that’s just too bad, but why should all of us have to suffer?
Agree 1000%.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm almost certain that if the felt were the traditional blue/green color all this ball discussion would be more... aaah... ummm...

..well, if they would of played 6 matches giving way to a tie, 3 - 3, prompting more interest in the... aaah... hummm..

..those tables did seem to have fair amount of life to them, on couple of the those breaks it did appear that a couple of the balls jumped off the cushion, leaving the table surface, I thought the regulation rule is that balls are to repel smoothly no jump?

couple of those jump shot saves were pretty good.

btw, is this call your pocket, I thought I saw a ball made after a combo couple of rails into the pocket, then the opponent look to say cool!, then shoots?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
btw, is this call your pocket, I thought I saw a ball made after a combo couple of rails into the pocket, then the opponent look to say cool!, then shoots?
Nope, no call shot, unless it is an obvious pushout...then you have to call it.

Other than that, slop counts, and certainly did a few times yesterday.

surlytempo

I don’t know your speed as a player....but I have played enough that I can look at a table and see the pattern to get out and the trouble areas....in a few seconds....at the rotation games. Changing the color coding interferes with that process....my biggest beef is switching purple to the 5-ball and 13-ball.
I used to play chess...for $$...I would only play with the Staunton design for the same reason....I don’t want my pattern recognition interfered with.

If it was change for a good reason, I would adjust....but I suspect the decision to change for the sake of change came from people who need a GPS to find the end rail.
Adapting to conditions is the name of the game. If you refuse to play in a tournament because the color of the balls interfere with your pattern recognition, that's on you. I have no problems taking notice of a new color and playing accordingly. Many old pool players are just resistant to change. Anything that breaks from what they're used to is considered anathema. Did the new colors throw me off too? Sure, once I registered the new number and color, I was able to see the out just fine. Anyone who says they can't get out because the color of the balls prevents them from doing so, can't get out to begin with. Utterly ridiculous.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, no call shot, unless it is an obvious pushout...then you have to call it.

Respectfully, push outs have to be called period. Obvious or not has no significance, it's literally the only thing you need to call in 9-ball so not hard to remember. I play at very amateur local tournaments and push outs are always called. Always.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything other than being required to go from 1 to 9. Mix it up. Nine ball, eight ball and ten ball.
Seriously...you don't have to watch it. It takes serious effort to watch the Mosconi Cup this year...you have to know about DAZN, sign up (for $20), and then watch it.
All you have to do is not do any of the above.
Your particular criticism of the event is neither welcomed nor constructive.