Something is wrong with Team USA

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the US is losing because they’re fat and a couple guys wore shorts to the press conference. What a hilariously bad take on the situation.
Totally agree here. WTF does that stuff have to do with playing shitty pool?? Nothing.

terpdad

Registered
I probably know less about this event than many, but some posts have mentioned coaching being a potential culprit. Aren't the coaches largely ceremonial? Do they provide any "real" coaching? Do they choose the roster, like in the Ryder Cup? My simpleton opinion is these are all professionals and the Europeans are simply outplaying us.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably know less about this event than many, but some posts have mentioned coaching being a potential culprit. Aren't the coaches largely ceremonial? Do they provide any "real" coaching? Do they choose the roster, like in the Ryder Cup? My simpleton opinion is these are all professionals and the Europeans are simply outplaying us.
I agree. Pretty sure both the coaches and Matchroon have input as to who makes the team. Once the sides are locked in its up to the players.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time in the past when it looked like it could be a day 3 ending, they reduced the number of matches played on day 3 to make a day 4 more likely. I'm sure it will have a significant economic impact on Barry if it ends today. I think we can expect only 4 matches today.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The coach(es) can have a very direct impact on these matches, the same way a good coach effects a baseball, football or basketball team. And yes, the Euros have outplayed USA, but it's been a lot closer than the score indicates. Personally, I think Jeremy and Joey are good coaches, and could put together a winning side next year.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The coach(es) can have a very direct impact on these matches, the same way a good coach effects a baseball, football or basketball team. And yes, the Euros have outplayed USA, but it's been a lot closer than the score indicates. Personally, I think Jeremy and Joey are good coaches, and could put together a winning side next year.
I would suggest before next year, we spend a little time working on our lags. Winning the lag means you get to break in the hill-hill game, and I’ve seen a number of hill-hill games over the last two days end with a break and run by the Euros.

Any pro player, with a little practice should be able to lag the ball within a couple inches of the end rail every time! Yes, every table is different, but how different can the practice table in the practice room be from the tournament table?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would suggest before next year, we spend a little time working on our lags. Winning the lag means you get to break in the hill-hill game, and I’ve seen a number of hill-hill games over the last two days end with a break and run by the Euros.

Any pro player, with a little practice should be able to lag the ball within a couple inches of the end rail every time! Yes, every table is different, but how different can the practice table in the practice room be from the tournament table?
Agreed! Did you see the stats that "at large" posted on here in another thread about the MC? Winning the lag is a big edge to winning the match!

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Jeremy and Joey probably being good coaches but there needs to be some attitude adjustments. If I'm the coach there will be no cell phones in the arena (barring some loved ones being in jeopardy health wise).
Shane is a great player but i don't think the team format is for him. Corey was thrown into a situation where he could come out smelling like a rose but not so far. To me he looks like a deer in the headlights.
Sky's had one bad error on the push.
Billy's played pretty solid in my opinion.
Chris has been a pleasant surprise. Idon't think he has let the big stage shake him so far.
I would just like to see some of them act like they are a team and be there for your team mate.
When Shaw played Billy yesterday all of euro's team was there for walkin.Billy's team nowhere to be seen.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Jeremy and Joey probably being good coaches but there needs to be some attitude adjustments. If I'm the coach there will be no cell phones in the arena (barring some loved ones being in jeopardy health wise).
Shane is a great player but i don't think the team format is for him. Corey was thrown into a situation where he could come out smelling like a rose but not so far. To me he looks like a deer in the headlights.
Chris has been a pleasant surprise. Idon't think he has let the big stage shake him so far.
I would just like to see some of them act like they are a team and be there for your team mate.
When Shaw played Billy yesterday all of euro's team was there for walkin.Billy's team nowhere to be seen.
Oh and they miss the heck out of Justin. For those who don't know him, he is like a pitbull that never gives up.

terpdad

Registered
I haven't seen a lick yet, but this is a great point. Some athletes refuse to be coached.

Bp021986

Yes, but we could, and should, have had Chris and Tyler, which would have been nice. You need to build for the future. Europe has 23 year old Filler, 21 year old Kaci and 20 year old Gorst. As Mosconi players, they're all relatively inexperienced, but they are getting their time in the frying pan and will have to be reckoned with for years. FYI, Chris' play in the 2020 Mosconi is superior to what we got from Tyler at the 2019 Mosconi. Chris' long bank won the five on five match, and he came within a ball of beating Kaci, who crushed Styer twice in the 2019 Mosconi. Chris also played well today in a match where he and Skyler took Shaw/Filler to the double hill in Match 7.
You made some valid points. I completely agree as far building the future and looking at the big picture but Tyler is also young. Cory will be in a hall of fame but he is not the same Cory years back. Tyler is your next best available talent that you have. You don't have to like Tyler but you have a job to do and that's to win the Cup. Throw away your ego and set your difference aside and work as a TEAM. The TEAM also lack discipline both physically and mentally. You saw it at the practice table, nobody is paying attention, the whole team was not engage....where is the Support Sytestem? We are not out yet; we still have a chance to come back. If we don't come back, I'm sure JJ will make some adjustments on the next MC.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the gist of why I started this thread. I will defer to Stu and Jay as far as JJ being a good coach, as they would have more first hand knowledge.

Maybe I am looking at the whole thing through the lense of disappointment in the results so far, but I just remember thinking after 2018 that our guys looked focused, disciplined, and hungry. 2019 was more of the same. It just seems different this year.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johan's first year as Captain of Team USA was 2017. After the second day, Team USA trailed 2-8 and went on to lose 4-11.

You are correct, sir. My OP was more referring to this specific team, if for example they were in year 4 of johan's program...sorry I did not clarify that point.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the gist of why I started this thread. I will defer to Stu and Jay as far as JJ being a good coach, as they would have more first hand knowledge.

Maybe I am looking at the whole thing through the lense of disappointment in the results so far, but I just remember thinking after 2018 that our guys looked focused, disciplined, and hungry. 2019 was more of the same. It just seems different this year.
I do know this,Jeremy’s first words this morning should be “ Anybody that thinks we can’t comeback and win this leave now”.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pt109 said something to the effect that you can't win on heart alone, well, try winning when the heart of the USA is stolen,
don't tell me that these things don't have an effect, unless you're saying that too these guys, those kind of things don't matter.
...who are they representing?
I think they have heart, why?
it shows

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
On paper, Team Europe is stronger. So their should be no surprise they’re ahead. They have lagged better, which gives them 20% advantage, and they’ve gotten the majority of the rolls. The score reads about right. It’s not like Team USA is dogging their brains out. Both teams have made mistakes, and both teams have runout some tricky racks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On paper, Team Europe is stronger. So their should be no surprise they’re ahead. They have lagged better, which gives them 20% advantage, and they’ve gotten the majority of the rolls. The score reads about right. It’s not like Team USA is dogging their brains out. Both teams have made mistakes, and both teams have runout some tricky racks.
And Corey has just flat-out mailed it in. Not playing well at all.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if Shane had won the match vs Shaw on day 2?
He had that "blue steel" face in the first couple of racks. Then hooked on the break he sells out the 4 on a kick safe. His total demeanor changed.
Had Shane won this grudge match of sorts, I think it would have made a big difference on the days overall outcome.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Justin B has covid and there has been no update on if JustinB is better or not.

Team USA is stressed from COVID.