Something is wrong with Team USA

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It looked to me like the ref over-reacted a bit to a pretty mild complaint about the rack from JJ.
Professional snooker ref I believe. Being heckled by a spectator isn't something taken kindly in pro snooker. I am assuming JJ applied some level of "heckling" and you're assuming he complained mildly. I think it safe to say, if it was indeed just a head shake, then it wouldn't have escalated.

Although I applaud Emily's quick intervention, there was a missed opportunity for some decent drama to spice the event up a tad.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was merely a league that ordained itself as the gold standard.
I'm not sure what your words mean, so I'll elaborate a wee bit. :)

The BCA League is a completely different entity than the BCA organization. The BCA organization sold the BCA League to Mark Griffin many years ago, but they are definitely not one in the same. The BCA organization is made up of industry members. They used to have a once-a-year BCA Open, which was actually an invitational reserved for 50 percent Americans and 50 percent anybody else in the world who they, the BCA powers-that-be, invited. The BCA organization still runs the Hall of Fame for BCA, which is also open to nominees around the world, not strictly Americans or North Americans.

In essence, Americans do not have the same professional-caliber league as the Europeans do with their European Pocket Billiard Federation organization (EBPF) , yet Europeans compete in American events quite often, e.g., Derby City Classic, U.S. Open, Joss Tour Season Finale, et cetera. In USA, we have regional tours, some closed to so-called "pros" and some offering pros to compete if they give a handicap to others and/or pay a higher entry fee.

I present this parallel, if you will, to illustrate why American professional pool does not have more younger professional players as the European professional pool community does.

And I never, ever thought I'd be writing these thoughts I am about to express now, but the pool world has changed since the '80s and '90s. Gone are the golden years of the road warriors and action players. Pool must emulate snooker. You'd never see Ronnie O'Sullivan or Judd Trump sitting on the sidelines looking at their iPhones and texting while a match is in progress on television, as an example. It's a completely different environment. There must be a way to combine that environment with emotion-filled matches without them looking like a bar tournament event. Don't get me wrong, I love bar tournaments, but professional pool needs a new look. I'm not talking about putting whipped cream on a hot dog; I'm talking about a more respectable image to attract not only mainstream audiences, but young people who would aspire to be a professional pool player and not have their Uncle Chester and Aunt Dorothy look down on this profession. Can pool be a sport? If it is to be a sport, some things must change.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough... Speaking as a Canadian, as a whole it always bugs me a little when the USA call themselves "Team America". We are just as "American" in terms of the continent but yet are excluded from the equation. Honestly though, that complaint is moot because I'd rather have a Team Canada in the Mosconi cup. Not that I think we can field a team to compete with the Euros at all and it pains me to admit it, but we wouldn't beat the USA either. However we do have some decent talent beyond Alex, and having a world stage I think would do wonders for the game locally.

I'll just assume the USA would rather keep the Mosconi a two team event. "Us against the world" sort of thing. I think the best approach for Matchroom though, would be to open up such a Mosconi format to other qualifying nations and host a "World Cup of Pool" event akin to Soccer (Football).

That unfortunately would create a taller totem pole for team USA to slide further down. ....and most likely exclude Canada from ever qualifying to compete...lol. It would make the Mosconi more entertaining in terms of pool though.
I'd really like a proper team event like that too, however I think we are in the minority :-(

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional snooker ref I believe. Being heckled by a spectator isn't something taken kindly in pro snooker. I am assuming JJ applied some level of "heckling" and you're assuming he complained mildly. I think it safe to say, if it was indeed just a head shake, then it wouldn't have escalated.

Although I applaud Emily's quick intervention, there was a missed opportunity for some decent drama to spice the event up a tad.

He's had a few run in's with (mainly Ronnie) players over the years on the snooker circuit...and to be fair to him, I think he's been in the right on every occasion, however perhaps its the way he 'stamps his authority' that winds up some people. I suspect its nothing more than a language thing and even though he speaks perfect English, its technically not his first language, so perhaps it can occasionally (unintentional probably) come across as confrontational.

That said, normally Matchroom are happy to let the ref's have run in's with the players, Earl V Michaela after all was a memorable moment!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm not sure what your words mean, so I'll elaborate a wee bit. :)

The BCA League is a completely different entity than the BCA organization. The BCA organization sold the BCA League to Mark Griffin many years ago, but they are definitely not one in the same. The BCA organization is made up of industry members.
My apologies... I didn't realize I was being cryptic.

So the ownership/management of a pool league divided itself from the League, and then declared themselves the governing body of USA pro pool...? In comparison, the NFL isn't the only pro game in town. They are just considered the highest level because they marketed themselves in the most proficient manner. Anyone can proclaim themselves the "pro standard". However the proof is in the pudding. What does the BCA, other than have their own personal hall of fame, do exactly to promote/grow the game?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the ownership/management of a pool league divided itself from the League, and then declared themselves the governing body of USA pro pool...? I

Other way around. As Jam explained, the BCA organization sold the BCA Pool League to Mark Griffin.

As far as what does the BCA organization do to promote and grow the sport? That my friends is the million dollar question.

Reactions: JAM

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
My apologies... I didn't realize I was being cryptic.

So the ownership/management of a pool league divided itself from the League, and then declared themselves the governing body of USA pro pool...? In comparison, the NFL isn't the only pro game in town. They are just considered the highest level because they marketed themselves in the most proficient manner. Anyone can proclaim themselves the "pro standard". However the proof is in the pudding. What does the BCA, other than have their own personal hall of fame, do exactly to promote/grow the game?
To clarify (and I have played in the BCA league for years, both before and after it got sold), there is NO governing body for pool in the US. None whatsoever. The league systems (APA and BCA both) have nothing to do with pro pool. You may say that the WPA is as close as it gets, but they are a toothless tiger IMO. "Pro Pool" in the US is put on by promoters only, and if they choose to get WPA sanctioning, then fine, but its not necessary. The Derby was unsanctioned for many years and only became sanctioned because they were asked to do so because there were not enough sanctioned events in the US for our players to be eligible for other WPA events. That is my recollection anyway.

It would be great if an actual, governed pro tour could be developed, but that's a heavy lift and very unlikely at this time and not much hope for a concerted effort in the future.

But, pool is fun regardless, so there's that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To clarify (and I have played in the BCA league for years, both before and after it got sold), there is NO governing body for pool in the US. None whatsoever. The league systems (APA and BCA both) have nothing to do with pro pool. You may say that the WPA is as close as it gets, but they are a toothless tiger IMO. "Pro Pool" in the US is put on by promoters only, and if they choose to get WPA sanctioning, then fine, but its not necessary. The Derby was unsanctioned for many years and only became sanctioned because they were asked to do so because there were not enough sanctioned events in the US for our players to be eligible for other WPA events. That is my recollection anyway.

It would be great if an actual, governed pro tour could be developed, but that's a heavy lift and very unlikely at this time and not much hope for a concerted effort in the future.

But, pool is fun regardless, so there's that.
And with the average age of most players in their 40's and no promising junior player base there will be no 'pro pool' in the US for the forseeable future. Pool here is like a rudderless ship.

litoxoro

Registered
Hello,

The truth is that US Players except Shane (he is for us in Europe a truth profi) Maybe Wood no one is able to Play against European Ranked Players.

We have here in Europe 30 Top Players that we could make 6 Mosconi Teams that would be as stong like the current one.

Your System to Play in the US is different like in Europe the Training is the Key we are years in Front of the US System played.

You Play Bar table Competition on a small table which here 10 year old Kids run rack after rack.

The picks Deul was strange for us i said bevore the start why didnt they pick Earl he is able to beat every European Player although he is not the younger one.

So i hope they will Change the Rules

USA with Kanada
Europe
and
Asia

i think if Asia is on board it would be close against Europe and Asia

if you dont change the Training, youth empowerment dont play competitions on 8 foot table maybe you will have a change again.

Europe noticed they make mistakes in the past so you see now the result.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

The truth is that US Players except Shane (he is for us in Europe a truth profi) Maybe Wood no one is able to Play against European Ranked Players.

We have here in Europe 30 Top Players that we could make 6 Mosconi Teams that would be as stong like the current one.

Your System to Play in the US is different like in Europe the Training is the Key we are years in Front of the US System played.

You Play Bar table Competition on a small table which here 10 year old Kids run rack after rack.

The picks Deul was strange for us i said bevore the start why didnt they pick Earl he is able to beat every European Player although he is not the younger one.

So i hope they will Change the Rules

USA with Kanada
Europe
and
Asia

i think if Asia is on board it would be close against Europe and Asia

if you dont change the Training, youth empowerment dont play competitions on 8 foot table maybe you will have a change again.

Europe noticed they make mistakes in the past so you see now the result.
You are so right.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
USA with Kanada
Europe
and
Asia
I don't believe extending the USA team to include Canada would make any difference at all. Possibility more entertaining with Alex, which would then would be watered down with the likes of Morra...lol. I'd rather see Canada solo team get destroyed by the Euros so I could at least see our flag on the world stage. (y)

US players, because of the culture, see pool different than other progressive cultures.

We want our cake and eat it too. The reasons we play this game are different and we're not willing to sacrifice today for tomorrow.
It's not to say Americans cannot excel - they can, but we often get in our own way.

So what that an entire continent has 5 better players than our best 5.... We have hotter women, better whiskey and way more fun!

litoxoro

Registered
better Woman??? look your President has married 2 times Chech women hmm

hootest Woman came from south America and Maybe Ukraine

and sorry for that USA is a Young Country with no Culture History

i remember school kids would asked were is Italy and they said what is that a fruit

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
better Woman??? look your President has married 2 times Chech women hmm

hootest Woman came from south America and Maybe Ukraine

and sorry for that USA is a Young Country with no Culture History

i remember school kids would asked were is Italy and they said what is that a fruit
So ugly women, no culture, no worthy pool players...kinda makes you wonder why 51 million people immigrated here in 2019. ( 2nd most was 13 million) ;)

BUT, By Gawd, we got the best college football! 'Merica!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So ugly women, no culture, no worthy pool players...kinda makes you wonder why 51 million people immigrated here in 2019. ( 2nd most was 13 million) ;)

Don't see many lining up to move to Europe. Just sayin.

litoxoro

Registered

one of the very good Things in School is to select Young Talents in early age and to promote this is not the same in europe :-(

They immigrate so many because they habe no Chance in other countries

ANd who wont to live in a Country where psychomatics can buy guns?

strange very sick

we all wonder why the NRA was not forbitten