Big Tyme Billiards

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy on my Team went down to Mississippi to play in their monthly tourney. He didn't play well, but the guy he got in the Calcutta did...He said he won over 7 grand!
He was very complimentary of the tourney, even though according to him it was very crowded with 179 players. He said there were probably 6-7 guys there who played "Hennesse Speed" , including the winner, and about 25 guys there who play a ball or so under that speed...pretty good competition for a small Mississippi town. He also said there was a 40k in the middle match, but I forgot who the players were.

How common are local tourneys with this kind of payout and calcutta? Maybe it's normal, but it just seemed like this is pretty significant for a monthly barbox tourney in a small southern town. Seems like a smart fella with 700 ish FR would have chance to scratch out some decent cash just playing these type tourneys around the southeast.

1607449784042.png

1607449813056.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy on my Team went down to Mississippi to play in their monthly tourney. He didn't play well, but the guy he got in the Calcutta did...He said he won over 7 grand!
He was very complimentary of the tourney, even though according to him it was very crowded with 179 players. He said there were probably 6-7 guys there who played "Hennesse Speed" , including the winner, and about 25 guys there who play a ball or so under that speed...pretty good competition for a small Mississippi town. He also said there was a 40k in the middle match, but I forgot who the players were.

How common are local tourneys with this kind of payout and calcutta? Maybe it's normal, but it just seemed like this is pretty significant for a monthly barbox tourney in a small southern town. Seems like a smart fella with 700 ish FR would have chance to scratch out some decent cash just playing these type tourneys around the southeast.

View attachment 577132

View attachment 577133
That's the South baby!! They like their gamble. Sounds like a great event. Sweet Calcutta.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of ours don’t have that kind of payout or Calcutta simply because we don’t have very many tournaments with that many entries. The limiting issue is really the number of tables. It takes a lot of tables and time to support 128+ players.

Around here, the average is usually around 64 players. With 64 players, I would expect to see close to half of them over 650, with a good handful over 700… The rest of us are dead money, but it’s fun to mix it up a little every now and then.

The big one we had a few weeks ago had 152 players on the bar box 9-ball side, and I think 32 on the 9’ 10-ball side. Jeffrey DeLuna won both. That was 3 full days too, which can limit entries...

Regardless though, you can always find just about any kind of action you want.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I live right down the road from this tournament and have played it several times; getting second to Dennis O. a few months back. What makes this tournament great are the guys that own the pool room and run it. They are lifelong friends and are top notch. Something else, this is a HANDICAPPED tournament and anyone truly can win. This is proof to all those who say a handicap tournament can’t draw big crowds and have huge money. Come on down and get you some! It usually happens the first weekend of every month. No one is barred.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live right down the road from this tournament and have played it several times; getting second to Dennis O. a few months back. What makes this tournament great are the guys that own the pool room and run it. They are lifelong friends and are top notch. Something else, this is a HANDICAPPED tournament and anyone truly can win. This is proof to all those who say a handicap tournament can’t draw big crowds and have huge money. Come on down and get you some! It usually happens the first weekend of every month. No one is barred.
What's the name of the pool room?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know who played in the 40 k in the middle match this weekend? I can't for the life of me remember.

My buddy who played this weekend said it was a load of fun and they had a great time, so tell your buddies that run it that even folks from Nashville are appreciative.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are these tourneys usually handicapped? Do they do it by fargo?

My buddy that played in it is around 650 FR and said he played as a 5...he had to leave before I asked him how handicap system worked...

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job!!

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
How are these tourneys usually handicapped? Do they do it by fargo?

My buddy that played in it is around 650 FR and said he played as a 5...he had to leave before I asked him how handicap system worked...
Not sure who played the big set. The handicapping system is old school. It’s based on reputation and cross checked by asking others who know how you play. It’s the way we’ve done it here since at least the early 90’s when I started playing. A 5 sounds right for a 650 FR. Back in the 90’s that would have been an 8 or so. We used to do it on the scale from 1 to 10. With pros being above 10.They shorten the races now due to the number of people who are playing. If most of the tournament went to a high number, it would take forever. They also do a split bracket at this tournament. If you are a five or above you’re in one bracket and if you are below that, you are in a separate bracket. They combined the brackets at some point. I can’t remember exactly where.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I've slipped into more than a few big calcutta wins in my time, but now I can only say they weren't big.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Man, I've slipped into more than a few big calcutta wins in my time, but now I can only say they weren't big.
Man, it’s crazy. When I got second in July, there was about $25K in it. It has doubled since then. Contributing to that is Louisiana being shut down. Those players are coming here to play.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure who played the big set. The handicapping system is old school. It’s based on reputation and cross checked by asking others who know how you play. It’s the way we’ve done it here since at least the early 90’s when I started playing. A 5 sounds right for a 650 FR. Back in the 90’s that would have been an 8 or so. We used to do it on the scale from 1 to 10. With pros being above 10.They shorten the races now due to the number of people who are playing. If most of the tournament went to a high number, it would take forever. They also do a split bracket at this tournament. If you are a five or above you’re in one bracket and if you are below that, you are in a separate bracket. They combined the brackets at some point. I can’t remember exactly where.
So I am assuming it's games on the wire for the lower handicap? Also, in an earlier post you said that anyone can win, but how likely is it for someone with oh let's say a 580 FR to cash or do well? Does it ever happen or just dead money for you big hitters? :) Asking for a friend!

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
So I am assuming it's games on the wire for the lower handicap? Also, in an earlier post you said that anyone can win, but how likely is it for someone with oh let's say a 580 FR to cash or do well? Does it ever happen or just dead money for you big hitters? :) Asking for a friend!
Haha! Low handicap locals have won several. Like 3s and 4s. Yeah, you race to your handicap regardless of what your opponents handicap is.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha! Low handicap locals have won several. Like 3s and 4s. Yeah, you race to your handicap regardless of what your opponents handicap is.
Thanks for the info! Also, found out it was Jonathan Martin and Jeff Phillips played for 20k in the middle (not 40). I had never heard of those guys and didn't know if they were local or not.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Thanks for the info! Also, found out it was Jonathan Martin and Jeff Phillips played for 20k in the middle (not 40). I had never heard of those guys and didn't know if they were local or not.
I know Jeff Phillips real well and he lives pretty close to Meridian. I know the other guy is from Greenville Mississippi but I really don’t know him that well.