Tip - What flavor is everybody running these days - Just to see what is more liked

terpdad

Registered
Predator Victory medium, but I just ordered a new cue which will have an Ultra Skin medium on its shaft. I'll let you know what I think of that once I have some time w/ it. I have a Kamui SS on one shaft & for me, it is fine but no better than the Predator. I would not order another.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have four shafts that I rotate on my player.
The shafts are exactly the same (diameter, taper, and length of taper) except for the tips.
I like hard pressed single layer tips.
3 are Triangles and one is a milk dud.
I cannot tell the difference between the Mild Dud and the Triangles.
They both are inexpensive and last forever.
Triangles do last a very long time if you like a more firm hit this might be a good choice too.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you taste the amazing combo of chocolate and caramel, you won't want anything other than a milkdud.

Any dud is good, but the outsville are super consistent and you can actually order different hardness. I consider the Kitech milkduds, very nice tips too. No mushrooming, consistent play from the second they are on your tip. No mushrooming, very little maintenance, hold chalk like a mofo and last forever. What's not to like? Why even mess with layered tips? There really is no advantage to them, if anything having to mess with glue layers and changing hardness over the life of the tip makes them much worse IMO.
I
Once you taste the amazing combo of chocolate and caramel, you won't want anything other than a milkdud.

Any dud is good, but the outsville are super consistent and you can actually order different hardness. I consider the Kitech milkduds, very nice tips too. No mushrooming, consistent play from the second they are on your tip. No mushrooming, very little maintenance, hold chalk like a mofo and last forever. What's not to like? Why even mess with layered tips? There really is no advantage to them, if anything having to mess with glue layers and changing hardness over the life of the tip makes them much worse IMO.
I like the Kitech medium soft. At installation one third is removed to have a shorter break in cycle. After that and a little breaking in, it is a great tip.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Zan premium soft. Used the Hybrid max for awhile before that.
I demo'd some Exceed cues the other evening and the shaft I was using was a wx700. I was coming from a pred Z2, with a rock hard tip, (can't tell you the make). Anyways, the seller was using a Zan soft. After the first dozen hits, I fell in love with the Exceed / wx700 / Zan soft, to the point where I dropped the coin to take a cue home.

The shaft I got (still in the plastic) with the cue had a Zan medium. Completely different hit then the soft. Zan tips seem to play harder than a similar rated tip by a different manufacturer. After giving it a few hours I swapped it out for the Zan soft and love it again.

I'm normally indifferent to tip manufacturer. However, my sticker shock was only quelled by the Zan soft / cue combo. This forced me in the short term to use the same Zan...lol. Moving forward I'll let my cue mechanic experiment.

The point.... The equipment will dictate the tip. The rock tip I use on my Pred Z2 would be unplayable on the Mezz wx700. A soft tip on the Z2 feels like mush.

For now, Zan soft....

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I demo'd some Exceed cues the other evening and the shaft I was using was a wx700. I was coming from a pred Z2, with a rock hard tip, (can't tell you the make). Anyways, the seller was using a Zan soft. After the first dozen hits, I fell in love with the Exceed / wx700 / Zan soft, to the point where I dropped the coin to take a cue home.

The shaft I got (still in the plastic) with the cue had a Zan medium. Completely different hit then the soft. Zan tips seem to play harder than a similar rated tip by a different manufacturer. After giving it a few hours I swapped it out for the Zan soft and love it again.

I'm normally indifferent to tip manufacturer. However, my sticker shock was only quelled by the Zan soft / cue combo. This forced me in the short term to use the same Zan...lol. Moving forward I'll let my cue mechanic experiment.

The point.... The equipment will dictate the tip. The rock tip I use on my Pred Z2 would be unplayable on the Mezz wx700. A soft tip on the Z2 feels like mush.

For now, Zan soft....
Yeah the biggest reason I love the Zan Premuim soft is it runs a little hard. Once it’s broken in it’s perfect for me who likes a medium tip. I’ve never had glazing issues with any of the several I’ve used and once they have the initial break in they stay consistent.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Zan Tips for sure been using just the good old Zan medium tips for about 4-5 years now. Waiting on my hybrid max in the mail to try out! But you cannot go wrong with Zan Tips!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Does anyone know or seen a test, that certain brands of chalk create more draw with the same swing speed as another?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search chalk tests. Ton of info. I've used a bunch of them and my answer would be 'NO'. Some are cleaner/less dusty and some leave less marks on cueball but i have never noticed any increase in spin.
Does anyone know or seen a test, that certain brands of chalk create more draw with the same swing speed as another?

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Softest elk master in the box, then after a few hours of play and a reshape, it's the best tip out there.

HyperioN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a lot of experimentation, I’ve decided that I like a slightly harder tip. My favorite is currently Thoroughbred Medium Hard. If I want one slightly softer, Precision Medium.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hello ,

I just wanted to see what everybody is using for their Tip choice these days and what you like about them. I plan on ordering me some Black Medium Ultra skins to try , I have been using Triangle here latley and once they break in the seem to take English really well . I use to really like LePro's but It seems it is hard to find a good one these days , what are you guys liking these days . Thanks for all you input
Ultraskins been working fine for me once broken in.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask Ronnie O'Sullivan. I'm sure he may have some thoughts. :p

Attachments

• Ronnie biting tip.png
    Ronnie biting tip.png
    590.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After a lot of experimentation, I’ve decided that I like a slightly harder tip. My favorite is currently Thoroughbred Medium Hard. If I want one slightly softer, Precision Medium.
A leather tip almost can't bet hard enough for me.
I like the feed back.