How to play: Golf?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If you have rules or suggestions to post for golf games, please post them here. Two 5x10 snooker tables with Strachan cloth.

We have snooker and pool ball sets, would love to find standardized or generally agreed upon rules to hang up by the 10ft tables

Attachments

• 20201217_131005.jpg
    20201217_131005.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 541

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The only time I've played the guy said you spot the ball make it in the corner, beginning in the kitchen
then respot and make in each pocket going around the table
After say 3 fouls, standard ones, you start going back a pocket

I enjoy it when I have someone to play it with like this

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not rules but a good description from which rules might be distilled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_(billiards)

I played the Purvis's Pool Hall, Oxford, Mississippi, Rules
I never played the "lifting".
We paid $.25 or $.50 for each of our hickeys (not "difference" as article suggests). Plus, game bet.
After first shot, we played balls as they lay.
We did not count strokes -- tallied hickeys on a chalk board.
A direct shot on opponents ball (to place him bad position) was "no foul". (This rule results in all kinds of "brother in law" situations, shifting loyalties, etc., greatly enhancing fun.) Very cutthroat.*
Golf is ultimate "safe" game because hooking opponent which can result in a foul drives up value of hickey pot. Real money was in the hickey pot.

* "Holding your man." Your responsibility. "Holding the Leader" Everyone's responsibility. Because of the direct hit aspect, you were sometimes required to pass up a decent shot on your own ball (and possible run) to remove your man or the leader from a favorable position. If the leader's ball was a "duck", as soon as it got in such position (maybe 4 or 5 shots before leader's) players would begin urging the shooter to remove the duck. As shooters passed, the drama increased. And woe unto the player before the leader who failed to remove the leader. So much BS/jeering and fun, plus money.

As I posted before, the Saturday Golf Game went from open to close, with a line to play out front before opening and railbirds waiting to get in all day long. Of course the railbirds joined the BS/jeering. Forget the Ole Miss football game down the road -- it was on the radio -- this was the real action. Saturday Golf was an absolute circus. Too much fun. (Please forgive my large edit).

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have rules or suggestions to post for golf games, please post them here. Two 5x10 snooker tables with Strachan cloth.

We have snooker and pool ball sets, would love to find standardized or generally agreed upon rules to hang up by the 10ft tables
You could contact California Billiards in Fremont. I think they have written rules.

Or, contact John Henderson.

I covered golf briefly in the March article here:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been years, but I don’t recall hickeys for fouls. When the first player sinks his ball in the 6th hole, everybody pays a dollar. One variant was every time you sell out and set up the next player’s shot, it is treated like a hickey and you owe at the end.

Geosnookery

We play on full size snooker tables using wooden skittles. We never play for money. We just have fun.

Too complicated to get into all the Rules. However, be flexible and adjust to suit your needs or skill level. One rule we do have is the shooter is his own ref. Nobody comments unless he requests an opinion. At the end of the frame rule issues can discussed and apply to the ‘next’ game.

You need to agree on things like cueball scratches, blocked balls, etc. 10 regions will have 10 different sets of rules but all revolve around sinking your designated ball into the six pockets.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many different rules for golf all over the country. One thing I insist on when playing - The players object ball comes off the table on any foul while they are shooting and comes back up when it is his turn again. Here are some basic rules.

Golf (billiards)​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Golf billiards (also referred to as simply golf in clear context, and sometimes called golf pool or golf pocket billiards) is a pocket billiards game usually played for money. Unlike the majority of such games, it allows more than two people to play without compromises or rule changes. The game borrows from the outdoor game of golf, which is historically related to the cue sports. It is usually played on 10–foot or 12–foot snooker tables as their size and structure are more appropriate (even in billiard halls in the United States where it is in fact more popular than snooker itself, according to the Billiard Congress of America).[1]

Contents​

Rules[edit]​

The players each receive a numbered object ball. Using some method such as the lag, an order is established, and the players always shoot in that order.
The pockets are assigned numbers, clockwise starting at the top right corner pocket as viewed from the top (head) of the table, as the 1 hole (or 1 pocket) through 6 hole. The object for each player is to pocket (pot) their own object ball in the 1 hole, 2 hole, 3 hole, etc., in ascending order.
The first player places their numbered ball on the foot spot. The player may then place the cue ball in the "D" area as in snooker, or on a "D"-less American-style table, in the kitchen(i.e., behind the head string).
The player attempts to pocket his ball in the 1 hole. If they succeed, the object ball is spotted again and they proceed, playing with the cue ball as it lies, to the next hole, otherwise it is the next shooter's turn, who also shoots the cue ball from the "D" or kitchen at their numbered ball on the foot spot, aiming for the 1 hole. An object ball not pocketed is left on the table.
Once all players have taken their first shot, players shoot with the cue ball wherever it lies after the previous shot. Note that it is possible for the first player to win the game without any other player getting to shoot. It is possible to run the 1,2,3,4,5,6 holes but highly unlikely on a snooker table as compared to a pool table, due to the rounded, thus narrower pockets.[clarification needed]
If the player before the incoming shooter committed a foul, and the new shooter is snookered (does not have a clear shot to his ball), the ball(s) in the way may be temporarily moved (gets A lift) so that the shooter has a clear shot. These must be put back after the shot. This rule is highly unusual, perhaps even unique, in the world of cue sports, and often unused even in golf. (this only occurs if the shooter did not hit his ball first, not necessarily on a cue ball foul)
The game is won when one player legally pockets his ball into the 6 hole.
In some more advanced versions of golf, wooden pegs (AKA skittles) are placed on all spots except for the Black spot, and floating red snooker balls are placed in the middle of each cushion. Knocking over a pin results in a pre-defined number of "penalty strokes" added to the offender's score, and they must then also restart the current hole. The red balls are not penalties in themselves. But as they get hit by player's object or cue balls as the game progresses, the red balls end up "floating" about the table, creating roaming obstacles and making the game much more difficult, particularly when a larger number of players (i.e. 4-8) are involved.

Scoring[edit]​

Players are assigned a certain predetermined value for each foul committed. These are known as "hickeys". Players owe each player the difference between their hickey count and that player's count. The game is also usually assigned a base value which is given to the winner by the losing players.[clarification needed]

Fouls[edit]​

The following constitute fouls (faults):[2]
  • Causing any ball to leave the table. If it is the cue ball, it is spotted by the next shooter on the D. Any other ball is spotted as close as possible to the foot spot.
  • Pocketing a ball in the wrong hole.
  • Failing to hit the shooter's ball first or at all.
  • Failing to do one of the following:
  1. Legally pocket the player's object ball
  2. Contact a cushion with any ball after a legal hit
  3. Kick the cue ball off a cushion to a legal hit.
This last rule is very different from that in most pocket billiards games, in which a legal kick shot still requires that after the cue ball hits the object ball, a ball must contact a cushion or be pocketed.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Game gets played everyday at my local pool hall. Most common is 1/1/20. Dollar per foul. Dollar per hole owed at the end. And $20 to the player you’re holding if they win. On a foul your ball comes off and gets spotted on your next turn. Hitting the eight ball is two fouls and you go back a hole.
Balls going to the 3 and 6 holes get spotted frozen on the middle diamond on the rail instead of the foot spot.
Those are the only things I can think that might be different here than other places. Fun game. Definitely seems like a “house rules” kind of thing. Probably hard to find two places that play it the exact same way.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Several versions are described, with supporting resources, here:

Enjoy,
Dave

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The removing of OB and then "teeing it up" makes complete sense -- "golf" -- but definitely not the game I remember playing. I can only surmise that we had really strayed in Oxford or my memory is far more impaired than realized. I recall a game of hooking and playing opponents' ball to their disadvantage.

Lucasi53

Registered
The first rule in GOLF is "House Rules Govern". There are no set rules and every pool room has its own set. We played a "friendly" game for hours in Springfield, MO during the 90's at $3/50 ($3 for game/.50 per foul). Differing from others, some of our basic rules:

1-players would draw pea from pea bottle to determine order of play
2-#1 hole was lower right (creating bank shot to begin)
3-ball is spotted on foot spot (#6 spot on snooker). if spot is covered, drop down to #5 spot.
4-each player must hit their ball first
5-during each shot, a ball must contact a rail. the CB can touch a rail before or after contact (allowing for kick safety)
6-fouls are committed by not hitting your ball first, no rail, scratch, making your ball in wrong pocket, knocking another ball into any pocket, or knocking ball off table. as a result, your ball is removed from table and re-spotted on foot spot at next turn. balls knocked off table are re-spotted at each player's turn
7-if you pocket another player's ball into his designated pocket, he is credited for the pocket
8-player's are not allowed to "push". each player must "attempt" to hit their ball (major issue if player is in trouble). unlike rules listed in other posts, balls are not removed if incoming player is snookered

Other comments:
A-by starting at lower right, the #6 hole is side pocket. Most instances, side pocket is harder to make + easier to defend than corner pockets.
B-by not allowing "push", players must work together to hold leader
C-Winner collects from each player (some houses play where each player receives "hickey money" for holding their following player).
D-As an extra penalty if your man wins (or if you happen to pocket the other player's ball), you must also pay table time for all (some houses have this player paying double money)
E-players should be fairly equal in ability (a weak player provides a huge advantage for next shooter)
F-If you scratch and the incoming player's ball is located in the "D" (on a snooker table), you must decide whether he is allowed to shoot or has to bank at his ball (we allowed to shoot thinking he should not be penalized for the other player's mistake)
G- Many ways to adjust as playing off #7 spot or using larger billiard balls

GOLF is a great and creative game. I like to think it is a revolving game of 1pocket. Enjoy!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There are sooo many different golf rules.
Some people play with sand traps (cherries)
Some people play left to right, others right to left.
The funnest I have ever had was on pockets that weren't stupid tight.

Biggest penalty is hitting another players ball first or "letting your man go" meaning letting the guy after you win the game.
Scratches can cost whatever you want to play. A decent snooker player can clean up in a golf game.

A great snooker player can lay down and you might never know.
2 and 3 rail kicks to the side hole are a must practice
And maybe the most important shot is the break shot, you have to be able to shoot it one rail back and also go 2 rails when the pocket gets blocked.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First rule of GOLF if you haven't played it much. Don't play with the "old timers". I learned that lesson in the seventies while living in Jackson, MS in a very old pool hall on Capital Street. Now I'm an "old timer", but don't have a place nearby nor anyone else interested.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The first rule in GOLF is "House Rules Govern". There are no set rules and every pool room has its own set. We played a "friendly" game for hours in Springfield, MO during the 90's at $3/50 ($3 for game/.50 per foul). Differing from others, some of our basic rules:

1-players would draw pea from pea bottle to determine order of play
2-#1 hole was lower right (creating bank shot to begin)
3-ball is spotted on foot spot (#6 spot on snooker). if spot is covered, drop down to #5 spot.
4-each player must hit their ball first
5-during each shot, a ball must contact a rail. the CB can touch a rail before or after contact (allowing for kick safety)
6-fouls are committed by not hitting your ball first, no rail, scratch, making your ball in wrong pocket, knocking another ball into any pocket, or knocking ball off table. as a result, your ball is removed from table and re-spotted on foot spot at next turn. balls knocked off table are re-spotted at each player's turn
7-if you pocket another player's ball into his designated pocket, he is credited for the pocket
8-player's are not allowed to "push". each player must "attempt" to hit their ball (major issue if player is in trouble). unlike rules listed in other posts, balls are not removed if incoming player is snookered

Other comments:
A-by starting at lower right, the #6 hole is side pocket. Most instances, side pocket is harder to make + easier to defend than corner pockets.
B-by not allowing "push", players must work together to hold leader
C-Winner collects from each player (some houses play where each player receives "hickey money" for holding their following player).
D-As an extra penalty if your man wins (or if you happen to pocket the other player's ball), you must also pay table time for all (some houses have this player paying double money)
E-players should be fairly equal in ability (a weak player provides a huge advantage for next shooter)
F-If you scratch and the incoming player's ball is located in the "D" (on a snooker table), you must decide whether he is allowed to shoot or has to bank at his ball (we allowed to shoot thinking he should not be penalized for the other player's mistake)
G- Many ways to adjust as playing off #7 spot or using larger billiard balls

GOLF is a great and creative game. I like to think it is a revolving game of 1pocket. Enjoy!

Thank you for posting that. FYI, I've added a quote to the golf resource page.

Lucasi53

Registered
In addition/clarify to previous post:

1-all players start the game by shooting from the "D". all players will shoot from the "D: following a scratch CB
2-each player must contact their ball first. other balls moved after legal contact will remain in new position - even if CB scratches
3-if legal contact is not made and other balls are moved, each player has the option to replace to original position or leave as is. in case of dispute, decisions are made in order of next succession of shooters
4-each player must attempt to shoot at their ball if - at all - possible (it may not be probable or very low percentage, regardless the player must make the attempt). in cases where the ball is physically impossible, the shooter's ball is removed and he is charged with a hickey (most often happens near #1 and #2 holes where a player's ball can get buried behind others) (the reason for not shooting is other balls will only be moved illegally)

Money values can be whatever you want. I've seen $2/.25, $3/.50, $5/$1, $10/$2, $50/$10, and more. Just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Old timers and friends are usually just wanting to have some fun and bragging rights, so they keep it at the lower end. Much like politics, your best friends and partners will vary game to game.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
In addition/clarify to previous post:

1-all players start the game by shooting from the "D". all players will shoot from the "D: following a scratch CB
2-each player must contact their ball first. other balls moved after legal contact will remain in new position - even if CB scratches
3-if legal contact is not made and other balls are moved, each player has the option to replace to original position or leave as is. in case of dispute, decisions are made in order of next succession of shooters
4-each player must attempt to shoot at their ball if - at all - possible (it may not be probable or very low percentage, regardless the player must make the attempt). in cases where the ball is physically impossible, the shooter's ball is removed and he is charged with a hickey (most often happens near #1 and #2 holes where a player's ball can get buried behind others) (the reason for not shooting is other balls will only be moved illegally)

Money values can be whatever you want. I've seen $2/.25, $3/.50, $5/$1, $10/$2, $50/$10, and more. Just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Old timers and friends are usually just wanting to have some fun and bragging rights, so they keep it at the lower end. Much like politics, your best friends and partners will vary game to game.
The places I have played it in we started from the D but had to be on the spot, which changes a lot.