With BIH is there a optimum distance to positio the cueball?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Far enough away so that no mater how long your follow through is, it will not alter the shot or the placement of the balls on the table.

Near enough that you can easily achieve both the potting of the ball and the speed and final position of the CB.

9" to 14" seems to be about right.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So lets say a object ball is right above the foot spot with a another ball blocking it from being pocketed anywhere but the right corner. There is also a cluster you want to break up along the right rail almost parallel to the object ball. Now you can place the cueball on the line you need to pocket the ball breakup the cluster,but should you place the cueball 2 inches or 20 inches from the object ball?
Is there a ideal distance, physically , or is it a mental - whatever you are most comfotable with , dilemma?
On this particular shot that you outlined above, probably placing the cue ball 12" to 15" away from the object ball would be optimum.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have a measurement but close enough where missing the shot isn't part of the equation but far enough where I can comfortable stroke the cueball without having to jack up or hold it back in fear of hitting it twice

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't have a measurement but close enough where missing the shot isn't part of the equation but far enough where I can comfortable stroke the cueball without having to jack up or hold it back in fear of hitting it twice
Then you dont know me, every shot can be missed. I am embarrassed to admit that if I miss a BIH hand shot tonight it wont be the first time or probably the last.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you dont know me, every shot can be missed. I am embarrassed to admit that if I miss a BIH hand shot tonight it wont be the first time or probably the last.
If we’re being honest here, we all occasionally miss ball-in-hand shots for one reason or another - it happens!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can miss a draw shot at 3 feet. I have an inner voice telling me not to try a draw shot on a BIH but I often don’t listen to my own advice.
If you’ve got ball-in-hand and setting up for a draw shot, just start at 12 to 18 inches behind the object ball. I can only assume if you started 3 feet away from it, it was only because the reach wouldn’t allow you to get any closer or you don’t have a butt extension?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it depends on the shot, if I need some draw I might give a bit more space and set the hand back a bit on the cue, if it's a touch shot I'll put the CB closer to the object ball.

Longer than the length of your usual forward follow-through. I would put the cue ball about 12" from the OB for that shot. I think it depends on what you're comfortable with. I've noticed that most lower level league players will put the cue ball back 3-4 feet, I suppose because that's the shape they usually have. :giggle: It also depends on the shot.

LOL, I deal with APA players a lot, needless to say I have to repeat "put the cue ball closer to the object ball" more than once in a night.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever is easiest for you in the particular shot. Also many players do things differently because they have different styles. But you are a beginner typically the closer the cueball to the object ball the easier. Unless it is so close it obstructs you from stroking the pool cue. In other words if you cannot follow through with your stroke it is too close.