Ball cleaner project

Roxenhuskat

The center of the revolving platter is offset slightly from the center of the round opening. This gives the balls a multi-axis spin so they clean better. check omegle

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The center of the revolving platter is offset slightly from the center of the round opening. This gives the balls a multi-axis spin so they clean better.
That was pointed out 69 posts earlier in the thread but I can't blame you for not reading the whole mess.

Bradmolisee

Hi all, new here and thought I'd share the ball cleaner I made in my workshop recently. Mostly similar to diamond, proven product so no sense re inventing.

I did buy a diamond carpet kit but otherwise made or sourced parts myself.

I didn't want a black box in the game room so used walnut and birch.

View attachment 575247
Hi , I was wondering if you would be willing to make another one and selling it to like me depending on the price ?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, new here and thought I'd share the ball cleaner I made in my workshop recently. Mostly similar to diamond, proven product so no sense re inventing.

I did buy a diamond carpet kit but otherwise made or sourced parts myself.

I didn't want a black box in the game room so used walnut and birch.
Wanted to say thanks again for your help.

Got mine built, and man does it work well. I put a "Zirconium" badge/logo on it (because it's a knockoff diamond). Blows the doors off of the last cleaner I made. I'm sure the Aramith cleaner I got played its part as well. Restored my old Centennial balls well enough that I was able to put them up for sale without feeling guilty. Still have to do the final finish on the outside, but I'll wait to do that until I finish my lights, and make them both match my table.

How did you stick the carpet to the spinning platter? I just covered the whole platter with wide strips of velcro hook, and the backside of the carpet seems to hold well enough as-is, but I'm curious if there's a better way. Gluing velcro to the underside of thecarpet seems like overkill.

Tlchas

Got mine built, and man does it work well. I put a "Zirconium" badge/logo on it (because it's a knockoff diamond). Blows the doors off of the last cleaner I made. I'm sure the Aramith cleaner I got played its part as well. Restored my old Centennial balls well enough that I was able to put them up for sale without feeling guilty. Still have to do the final finish on the outside, but I'll wait to do that until I finish my lights, and make them both match my table.

How did you stick the carpet to the spinning platter? I just covered the whole platter with wide strips of velcro hook, and the backside of the carpet seems to hold well enough as-is, but I'm curious if there's a better way. Gluing velcro to the underside of thecarpet seems like overkill.
I used carpet tape... Didn't like the thick fluff of the velcro there, the spindal works better without imo.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can't use Velcro anyway. Diamond uses Velcro, so you'll have to look elsewhere for your adhesion needs. Its a sticky business.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got mine built, and man does it work well. I put a "Zirconium" badge/logo on it (because it's a knockoff diamond).
Finally got around to taking a pic:

AgUMBWr.jpg

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got around to taking a pic:

AgUMBWr.jpg
Nice!! Like the storage niche on the side. What kind of motor? About how much would you estimate in parts and hours of work? Did you try to make your own sprocket? What's it weigh?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The motor/gearing is an upside down drill press I got for $30 second hand. It's fastened to a steel frame with rubber feet, and the box is fastened to the frame. Lots of hours, maybe 20-30 or more. I made a lot of changes as I went, completely rebuilt the frame several times to get the smallest footprint I could, so it took much longer than it could have. I wanted to use the Diamond pads, so didn't bother making my own sprocket. I'd guess it weighs in the 40-50 lb range. It's beefy. I think the weight is part of the reason why it runs so quiet.

Cost breakdown is:
$30 drill press
$15 timer
$10 screws/hardware
$0 steel frame (salvaged from old chair & random scrap I had)
$0 wood/lumber (all scrap I had laying around)
$0 paint/finish (again, odds and ends I had kicking around)
$10 printable vinyl to make stencil for logo
------
$65 total out of pocket. Plus around a grand in labor lol. I've got way more time than money though, so it was worth it.

Edit: Oh! I forgot the cost of the pads in my breakdown, so add about $100 to get them here to Canada.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The motor/gearing is an upside down drill press I got for $30 second hand. It's fastened to a steel frame with rubber feet, and the box is fastened to the frame. Lots of hours, maybe 20-30 or more. I made a lot of changes as I went, completely rebuilt the frame several times to get the smallest footprint I could, so it took much longer than it could have. I wanted to use the Diamond pads, so didn't bother making my own sprocket. I'd guess it weighs in the 40-50 lb range. It's beefy.

Cost breakdown is:
$30 drill press
$15 timer
$10 screws/hardware
------
$65 total out of pocket. Plus around a grand in labor lol. I've got way more time than money though, so it was worth it.
Direct drive motor to platter? No belt, pulleys, bearings? Must spin real FAST.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The motor/gearing is an upside down drill press I got for $30 second hand. It's fastened to a steel frame with rubber feet, and the box is fastened to the frame. Lots of hours, maybe 20-30 or more. I made a lot of changes as I went, completely rebuilt the frame several times to get the smallest footprint I could, so it took much longer than it could have. I wanted to use the Diamond pads, so didn't bother making my own sprocket. I'd guess it weighs in the 40-50 lb range. It's beefy. I think the weight is part of the reason why it runs so quiet.

Cost breakdown is:
$30 drill press
$15 timer
$10 screws/hardware
------

Edit: Oh! I forgot the cost of the pads in my breakdown, so add about $100 to get them here to Canada.

So 1165.00 for a $900 ball cleaner. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums