Has any top level player just gone to regular bars for 'exhibitions?'

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have often wondered, so, I ask! I think my local bar. Which is currently closed due to covid. Say it was open. It's not a big bar but there are plenty of players on the one bar box and not one, me included, is over a C rating. On a Friday or Saturday, the one bar box (which is open challenge or whatever you call it when everybody puts their quarters on the table to challenge the last game winner) is the center of attention, it's the entertainment in the bar for the night.

I have always thought that it would be super cool if a pro or even a near pro grade player would come to the bar and put on some kind of show... mostly just playing... like, what if it was an announced event such that you hope to draw a crowd and the pro would play anybody. Just watching the pro play would be entertaining. Some kind of way s/he gets paid for coming. Has this been done and what was the format? Watching great players play and how they control the ball is amazing to regular pool players. It seems it would be a way to promote pool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have often wondered, so, I ask! I think my local bar. Which is currently closed due to covid. Say it was open. It's not a big bar but there are plenty of players on the one bar box and not one, me included, is over a C rating. On a Friday or Saturday, the one bar box (which is open challenge or whatever you call it when everybody puts their quarters on the table to challenge the last game winner) is the center of attention, it's the entertainment in the bar for the night.

I have always thought that it would be super cool if a pro or even a near pro grade player would come to the bar and put on some kind of show... mostly just playing... like, what if it was an announced event such that you hope to draw a crowd and the pro would play anybody. Just watching the pro play would be entertaining. Some kind of way s/he gets paid for coming. Has this been done and what was the format? Watching great players play and how they control the ball is amazing to regular pool players. It seems it would be a way to promote pool.
Its been my experience that most players don't care about pros doing exhibitions. Back in the late 70's-early 80's Mosconi came to town. Granted he was past his prime but could still flat play. About 10-15 people showed up. He racked the balls, pulled out a break ball and ran 100. No warm up. Got in the cab and left. It was kinda sad really.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Its been my experience that most players don't care about pros doing exhibitions. Back in the late 70's-early 80's Mosconi came to town. Granted he was past his prime but could still flat play. About 10-15 people showed up. He racked the balls, pulled out a break ball and ran 100. No warm up. Got in the cab and left. It was kinda sad really.

I still watch Mosconi's touch in the Hustler on the regular.
Sometimes video is better than live, everyone has demanding schedules and with social distancing now ... espeically in NYC

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
There was a time, somewhere mid 80’s. That bar owners paid to have Mike Massey and Grady Mathews come to the Seattle Tacoma area for exhibitions. I got to watch twice and they put on a terrific show. I learned from both and have employed that knowledge in matches. (And the crowd went wild)😉

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pros doing challenge matches in bars only works if there are a lot of people in the bars that are die hard pool players. What really works in bars are trick shot shows. Some of the best crowds that I have been in front of are from bars with people who are casual pool fans.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Mike Massey did one in a local bar in Fells Point MD a few years back, had a big crowd for the size of the place. I just happend to wander in, guess it wasn't a work night lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There was a time, somewhere mid 80’s. That bar owners paid to have Mike Massey and Grady Mathews come to the Seattle Tacoma area for exhibitions. I got to watch twice and they put on a terrific show. I learned from both and have employed that knowledge in matches. (And the crowd went wild)😉
Grady came to my local room around 90/91 he hit balls for about 20 - 30 mins then bet the owner double or nothing on his fee that he could run 100 in one try, Grady got paid double that day.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel came to the Danville, Illinois area in the early 90's for an exhibition. Had about 50 people show up. He played 3 locals (I was one) one game of 9-ball each, and then left.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Rossman came to a couple bars in my area about 10 years ago. I played him a game of 8 ball. I ran down to the last easy shot before the 8 and missed. He took my wife's shoe and set it on the floor about 15' from the table and jumped the cue ball into it first try.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 90s and early 2000s there were a lot of local exhibitions by pros- when I was living in Ct.- Mike Massey came in one night, Jeanette Lee, Allison Fisher came to a local Billiards supply store and did an exhibition, Johnny Archer and Laurie Jon Jones also came to a local billiard supply and played for hours with the few of us who showed up. Tom Rossman was at my son's school- University of New England in Springfield, MA.

The Joss tour from 1991 to the mid 2000s played in many local CT rooms one Sunday a month- you could see any pro show up there from time to time - some of the best in the world at the time.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Massey put on many exhibitions in bars all across the country. He was popular wherever he appeared. NO ONE ever beat him doing extended push ups either, and I mean NO ONE! His finger pool is at another level as well. Mike is a freak of nature. I'm not sure how he got to be so strong. I can remember him when he was relatively slim and trim. True story!

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Massey put on many exhibitions in bars all across the country. He was popular wherever he appeared. NO ONE ever beat him doing extended push ups either, and I mean NO ONE! His finger pool is at another level as well. Mike is a freak of nature. I'm not sure how he got to be so strong. I can remember him when he was relatively slim and trim. True story!
Interesting story! What is finger pool?

I wonder how much they were paid to show up? Would the crowd ever contribute a 'love offering' like musicians get or all paid by the bar?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren comes to the bars here in the Philippines regularly. He was here last week. He played anyone who wanted to play. Non stop from 4pm till 10pm. Bustamonte stopped by for a little bit.
What does he play for or does it vary?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine stopped into our pool room a couple years ago on a league night, spent the night doing challenge matches and prop bets with the locals. It was a fun night.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Over a decade ago at the Toledo Hi Cue Billiards on Monroe (now closed) Grady Mathews and Allison Fisher had
a one pocket match. T
here was an entrance fee. Afterwords they played locals for a small fee.

About 5 years back at the Toledo Top Shot on Alexis Rd Nick Varner played 9 ball with all takers for a small fee.
Nick took an engineering degree but remained in pool. He answered my questions directly and without

hesitation.

Both were outstanding nights. A local female beat Allison and years later Nick.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
When Shore Thing opened in Myrtle Beach, John Brumback and Shannon Daulton came in and you could play them. Get a signed cue ball and photo for playing. It was packed in there, streamed as well, and both fellas were incredibly nice to talk to. It was very cool to see Brumback play in person. Just a regular good dude that plays lights out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
When Shore Thing opened in Myrtle Beach, John Brumback and Shannon Daulton came in and you could play them. Get a signed cue ball and photo for playing. It was packed in there, streamed as well, and both fellas were incredibly nice to talk to. It was very cool to see Brumback play in person. Just a regular good dude that plays lights out.
I enjoy watching Brumback's Facebook stuff, I can see how that would translate in a regular pool room