When did getting low on the cue happen?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'2" with long arms and legs. Getting low has never felt comfortable to me. Not super upright like some of those old-timers, kinda in-between. Getting really low is easier for shorter players no doubt. I remember watching Matlock and almost cringing. Dave is not real tall and was a really good all-'round athlete. He could get down with his upper body almost parallel to the slate, cue buried in chin. Me do that?? Yeah right.

Last edited:

surlytempo

I'm 6'2" with long arms and legs. Getting low has never felt comfortable to me. Not super upright like some of those old-timers, kinda in-between. Getting really low is easier for shorter players no doubt. I remember watching Matlock and almost cringing. Dave is not real tall and was a really good all-'round athlete. He could get down with his upper body almost parallel to the slate, cue buried in chin. Me do that?? Yeah right.
bro, you gotta get on that stretch routine.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
many of those that got on the stick that played a lot for years ended up with back problems.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
many of those that got on the stick that played a lot for years ended up with back problems.
So is it a surprise sport at its highest level is not for those who dream to become more healthy? No matter what is your obsession you'll have to sacrifice something ... especially if we're talking about the highest level. I graduated from the national university of physical education and sports of Ukraine where we studied quite a few biomedical subiects. Have you ever seen for example the heart of the sprinter or cyclist's lungs?... and what happens after they are retired ...but better back to the theme...
So the most best cueists I've seen ... especially in modern era ... are pretty low on the cue including those who are fairly tall... Klenty Kaci, Ruslan Chinakhov just to name a few ... even Mike Massey was not so high at his prime.
I'm 6'6" and when I played my best I was pretty low on most of the shots and yes I do have my portion of problems with my back and neck but when you're as tall and there is more load on your spine even if I don't play billiards or stand very high it does not guarantee I would not have any problems.
I just have to make certain exercises, workouts, visit massagist, some practicing, playing with the weaker (left) hand and so on.
That's why a lot of pros today ... no matter on their height ... do know the importance of being in good shape... going to gim, practicing some yoga, swimming and so on.
It is already several years I don't play tournaments due to different reasons ... but even now playing for some joy I'm pretty low especially for my height and of course there is no one stance suits all. It totally depends on the shot ... some shots are easier to visualize standing higher (kicking) on some power shots where I need more follow through again my head will be slightly higher and so on and on... The game and your results are great teachers).

Last edited:

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6 ft tall and slender, been shooting low for 50 years but I do yoga, planks, etc. so it doesn't bother me. If you don't keep your core strong, weight normal and stay limber I see how it could get to you.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards as a sport at its highest level and as a game to have some fun, gambling and so on are completely different animals.
I've seen some hustlers who had some fun playing piramid one handed and being quite successful playing with those bangers they choose...but it never made me think that is a better way to play the game).
Everyone is a master of his own success or fiasco.

Geosnookery

I came here looking for this post! I remember reading that it was around the turn of the century is when most young professionals in English Billiards had their chin on or near the cue for most shots. I want to say around 1905 or 1910.
‘Turn of the century’

Made me chuckle. I know I’m old when that automatically means 1900 and not 2000. My old British grandmother would talk about ‘the War’...it meant WW1. When my mother mentioned ‘the War’ it was WW2.

Geosnookery

I'm 6 ft tall and slender, been shooting low for 50 years but I do yoga, planks, etc. so it doesn't bother me. If you don't keep your core strong, weight normal and stay limber I see how it could get to you.
Similar. Zero Issues. I’ve been the same weight since my early 20’s. Fitness always number one priority in life.

Fortunately top Snooker players like Selby, OSullivan , Robertson, Potts, etc are big time into health and fitness. Selby will eat an orange and take a brisk walk if a an hour break between sessions. It’s a positive example to younger players.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I came here looking for this post! I remember reading that it was around the turn of the century is when most young professionals in English Billiards had their chin on or near the cue for most shots. I want to say around 1905 or 1910.
I always felt snooker changed the stance....so more like middle 20s.
Walter Lindrum varied from chin on cue to standing tall.
This is his nursery cannon stance....which most English Billiard players used...

8B380BC9-ABC9-4F47-A864-4FCC86775A71.jpeg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never a champion but Fats lived a pretty good life standin' straight up. If you can make balls who cares how you do it?

We have a 60 year old regular here who stands upright and says he always has, although my guess is it’s partly due to to his big belly. He’s an excellent shot maker and can make some of the dangdest 90° cut shots I’ve ever seen, even from a distance. I guess he’s just a rare exception?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We have a 60 year old regular here who stands upright and says he always has, although my guess is it’s partly due to to his big belly. He’s an excellent shot maker and can make some of the dangdest 90° cut shots I’ve ever seen, even from a distance. I guess he’s just a rare exception?
Cowboy Jimmy Moore was pretty tall over the cue....he was not a braggart...but he told me he liked the fact that no American ever beat him on a 6x12....and there was a lot of American snooker in his day.

I feel that the lower stance is for structural integrity....I can’t imagine it’s for aiming better...the cue isn’t a rifle.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I always felt snooker changed the stance....so more like middle 20s.
Walter Lindrum varied from chin on cue to standing tall.
This is his nursery cannon stance....which most English Billiard players used...

View attachment 580080
I’ll see if I can find the resource I’m thinking of. But my understanding was that it was most common in players who focused on the red off the spot vs the spot barred game. But I think you are right that by the time the 20s hit, it was probably the standard.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it does work, but as you get older it will bite you unless you are in great shape and do the workouts and stretches to keep limber. and in general will cost you money as a gambler because you look more formidable and will get less good action.

Geosnookery

Cowboy Jimmy Moore was pretty tall over the cue....he was not a braggart...but he told me he liked the fact that no American ever beat him on a 6x12....and there was a lot of American snooker in his day.

I feel that the lower stance is for structural integrity....I can’t imagine it’s for aiming better...the cue isn’t a rifle.
Not hard to do when no American has ever cracked the top 100 in ranking. And, it’s unlikely he played snooker against the best American snooker players.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
‘Turn of the century’

Made me chuckle. I know I’m old when that automatically means 1900 and not 2000. My old British grandmother would talk about ‘the War’...it meant WW1. When my mother mentioned ‘the War’ it was WW2.
True! I’m only 37 but I often forget I need to clarify that I’m talking about the 20th century. Kids born in 2000 can legally drink anywhere in North America this year!

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting low is not a problem for me...chin fluff touching the cue..getting back up has become the problem for me.