Need professional instructor

NevadaP

I read the post here about Mark Wilson and was fascinated.
I live in northern Nevada so traveling to Illinois would be a stretch but possible.
Can anyone recommend a similar training program or instructor in the western US?
I can travel but prefer to not travel to California.
Thanks

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a guy in the Portland OR area. I just can’t remember his name. I’m sure plenty of guys here know his name

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Scott Lee travels and you can't go wrong there. Mark Wilson is definitely worth the trip. Dr. Dave is in Colorado. Tor Lowry in Utah. Any of those could help you take your game up multiple levels - as long as you implement what they show you.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee travels and you can't go wrong there. Mark Wilson is definitely worth the trip. Dr. Dave is in Colorado. Tor Lowry in Utah. Any of those could help you take your game up multiple levels - as long as you implement what they show you.
Scott Lee if you can. He will change your pool life. Research him.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath is one of the best instructors ever. A legendary teacher and a great person. He lives outside of Phoenix. Email is jerryspoolschool@gmail.com. Google him for more info. You can't go wrong with Jerry. Listen to Jeanette Lee's Hall of Fame acceptance speech; she is very complimentary of Jerry.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There’s a guy in the Portland OR area. I just can’t remember his name. I’m sure plenty of guys here know his name
Robin Dreyer in beaverton
Demetrius Jelatis (Tin Man) in minesota
Both are great

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm happy to come to NV to work with the OP. Call me at 727-542-4848 to discuss details.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer in beaverton
Demetrius Jelatis (Tin Man) in minesota
Both are great
Thank you bbb! I will say when it comes to fundamentals I defer to Scott, Jerry, Mark, and Dr Dave. I do better with the game play side of things, I.e. patterns, cue ball, etc. Based on this being a follow up to a Mark Wilson review I think Scott Lee is the right guy. 👍👍👍

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath is one of the best instructors ever. A legendary teacher and a great person. He lives outside of Phoenix. Email is jerryspoolschool@gmail.com. Google him for more info. You can't go wrong with Jerry. Listen to Jeanette Lee's Hall of Fame acceptance speech; she is very complimentary of Jerry.
All true about my mentor and very good friend Jerry Briesath...he started it all so many decades ago! Many good instructors have been mentioned in this thread, but the glaringly obvious one missing is Randy Goettlicher of Dallas Texas. Randy was the first recipient of the Jerry W Briesath PBIA Instructor of the Year Award in 2018. His contributions to pool are immeasurable, from changing the face of professional instruction, to running multi-day pool schools, to running multi-thousand player leagues, to inventing Scotch Doubles (and making it a national event), to serving on committees to further the sport, including the BCA Rules Committee.

Randyg, along with Rockin' Robin (here on AzB) and John McChesney created the hugely successful Texas Express 9 Ball Tour, running tournaments nationwide for years. His Cue Tech Pool Schools graduated 1000's of students, many who went on to become state, regional, and national champions, and has worked with many professional players. He revolutionized how pool is taught so much so that the "SPF" training techniques invented by him and Leslie Rogers (and implemented at Cue Tech over 3+ decades), have been copied by most of the respected professional instructors worldwide. I have been honored to teach with Randyg many times, all over the country, and every time it is a phenomenal learning experience for me, as well as everyone else involved. Randy still travels, teaching all over the country, so he is a viable option for almost anyone who wants to work with him.

Randyg's positive effect on so many facets of pool is just one reason why he is considered by many (including me) to be the best instructor anywhere! Like Jerry, Randy deserves to be in the BCA HOF. While still vibrant as people, players and teachers, these two gentlemen are elderly. I would certainly hope that the sport honors them the way it should, without having to wait for them to pass! SPF rules!

Scott Lee

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All true about my mentor and very good friend Jerry Briesath...he started it all so many decades ago! Many good instructors have been mentioned in this thread, but the glaringly obvious one missing is Randy Goettlicher of Dallas Texas. Randy was the first recipient of the Jerry W Briesath PBIA Instructor of the Year Award in 2018. His contributions to pool are immeasurable, from changing the face of professional instruction, to running multi-day pool schools, to running multi-thousand player leagues, to inventing Scotch Doubles (and making it a national event), to serving on committees to further the sport, including the BCA Rules Committee.

Randyg, along with Rockin' Robin (here on AzB) and John McChesney created the hugely successful Texas Express 9 Ball Tour, running tournaments nationwide for years. His Cue Tech Pool Schools graduated 1000's of students, many who went on to become state, regional, and national champions, and has worked with many professional players. He revolutionized how pool is taught so much so that the "SPF" training techniques invented by him and Leslie Rogers (and implemented at Cue Tech over 3+ decades), have been copied by most of the respected professional instructors worldwide. I have been honored to teach with Randyg many times, all over the country, and every time it is a phenomenal learning experience for me, as well as everyone else involved. Randy still travels, teaching all over the country, so he is a viable option for almost anyone who wants to work with him.

Randyg's positive effect on so many facets of pool is just one reason why he is considered by many (including me) to be the best instructor anywhere! Like Jerry, Randy deserves to be in the BCA HOF. While still vibrant as people, players and teachers, these two gentlemen are elderly. I would certainly hope that the sport honors them the way it should, without having to wait for them to pass! SPF rules!

Scott Lee
Bump for more people to know about Randyg!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
look for monk. he lives there. now old and a gambler may do lessons for the right price. he is world class.
otherwise for the lessor teachers that you can probably beat already just watch all the free tube videos until you get sick of them.
and practice. all the lessons in the world wont do you a bit of good if you take them and go practice for a few hours and think you learned something.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
look for monk. he lives there. now old and a gambler may do lessons for the right price. he is world class.
otherwise for the lessor teachers that you can probably beat already just watch all the free tube videos until you get sick of them.
and practice. all the lessons in the world wont do you a bit of good if you take them and go practice for a few hours and think you learned something.
Some people, me included, can't learn through a book or a video and have to touch/feel physically do. It's part of a learning disability which sucks.

NevadaP

Monk? He lives where?