Thinking of calling it a day......

JayRack

Why can’t you enjoy the journey and tie in performance and happiness?

I work at my game and am always intrigued by what I learn on a weekly basis. But I also care about performance and playing well (sometimes) is a source of happiness for me. I don’t see that those are mutually exclusive.

Lou Figueroa
I don't learn anything on a daily basis in the pool game. I can't relate.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't learn anything on a daily basis in the pool game. I can't relate.

Ok I get that.

But perhaps I see the game differently. I am always learning things about my mechanics and the relationships between the balls themselves snd the rails and pockets.

I know there is no checker board and the balls all are the same but it can be very much like learning chess. Which is to say you never stop learning.

Lou Figueroa

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
i also don't focus on the exact contact point on the OB and/or where i'm striking the QB
When I get in dead stroke, it's a blessing, I don't have to look or aim at anything or think about patterns too much, I just feel the shot, hell I don't even have to look at the pocket. It's also a curse because the next few days at the table, I feel as if this is the natural way and end up missing tons of shots because I'm not aiming and relying on the dead stroke hypnosis to make the shots. Realizing I'm not in dead stroke and focusing on and actually aiming and stroking properly gets me back in line, but damn I hate to have to rely on that real stuff when I know it's not even a necessity when I'm playing good in the hypnotic zone. It takes real discipline and concentration to come back to play normal after the zone and I hate that! ;)

JayRack

Here is the bottomline.....read all the books you want, listen to what others say or don’t but at least consider this.

Never take any sport you play so seriously that it stops being fun.... Cash is on the line every time I play. So it's a whole different ball of wax.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Never take any sport you play so seriously that it stops being fun.
Nailed it.... I took up golf as a 'fun' outlet because snooker got too intense for me. I enjoyed that game to no end but I put so much expectation on myself that I couldn't reach that I got burnt out and stopped playing in an effort to compete.

When I'm attempting to dial in my potting focus I'll jump on the snooker table for 10mins. Nothing resets your bad tendencies then watching every shot rattle in the jaws of a snooker pocket.

As far as your current dilemma... Just suck it up and play through it. Everytime you climb a rung in ability and start competing against the next level of competition, expect to get hammered for the first while. If losing makes you want to quit, then pool is a rough game to choose to play competitively.

JayRack

Nailed it.... I took up golf as a 'fun' outlet because snooker got too intense for me. I enjoyed that game to no end but I put so much expectation on myself that I couldn't reach that I got burnt out and stopped playing in an effort to compete.

When I'm attempting to dial in my potting focus I'll jump on the snooker table for 10mins. Nothing resets your bad tendencies then watching every shot rattle in the jaws of a snooker pocket.

As far as your current dilemma... Just suck it up and play through it. Everytime you climb a rung in ability and start competing against the next level of competition, expect to get hammered for the first while. If losing makes you want to quit, then pool is a rough game to choose to play competitively.
Are u guys gambling Everytime u play? I do. I don't enjoy playing for fun like I do when some skin is on the line... So when I lose a $500 set to somebody I could beat when I'm playing my B game it's doubling my frustrations..... and someone mentioned playing 6 hours a day I can't do that. Spent all day at the pool room in my 20's but two hours is the very most I can put in on a non gambling day.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Are u guys gambling Everytime u play? I do. I don't enjoy playing for fun like I do when some skin is on the line... So when I lose a $500 set to somebody I could beat when I'm playing my B game it's doubling my frustrations..... and someone mentioned playing 6 hours a day I can't do that. Spent all day at the pool room in my 20's but two hours is the very most I can put in on a non gambling day.
I always opt for action if available. I want the pressure of the wager. Unfortunately I won't get the level of bet locally. Multiple sets for a 100 sure, but I'd have have to travel to Toronto and play wildly different equipment to get that action. Which I only do when work/life allows, which is far and few between. Regardless I don't get money games from weaker players, so at best I'm playing even. I don't think I got lucky when I win, but I also don't torture myself when I lose either.

I don't sweat the loses. Even if I think I should have won. I use it as fuel. Maybe I'm just wired a little weird.

If dropping wagers is bothering you that much, then I suggest stepping back and getting your game on point before stepping back in the ring.

JayRack

I always opt for action if available. I want the pressure of the wager. Unfortunately I won't get the level of bet locally. Multiple sets for a 100 sure, but I'd have have to travel to Toronto and play wildly different equipment to get that action. Which I only do when work/life allows, which is far and few between. Regardless I don't get money games from weaker players, so at best I'm playing even. I don't think I got lucky when I win, but I also don't torture myself when I lose either.

I don't sweat the loses. Even if I think I should have won. I use it as fuel. Maybe I'm just wired a little weird.

If dropping wagers is bothering you that much, then I suggest stepping back and getting your game on point before stepping back in the ring.
Right on.

djoverboard

Registered
I actually thought about this today... Snooker....
Snooker is great to improve your stroke. You have shoot pretty darn true to run balls on the snooker table. When I was houseman at a local room and practiced on the snooker table regularly I was at the top of my game. Of course that was 20- 25 years ago but I’m only 5-6 years older than you

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the bottomline.....read all the books you want, listen to what others say or don’t but at least consider this.

Never take any sport you play so seriously that it stops being fun.
When i started taking golf seriously a sage old dude at my home muni track said 'NEVER let the pursuit of a golf score get in the way of having a good time'. One smart guy. Every time i get hot at pool or golf i think of this.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty perplexed with my game. I'm not playing up to my abilities. I was playing even and sometimes beating a local road player 3 months ago and now he can give me the wild 8. My game is going backwards. I was thinking of getting an instructor as a last ditch effort or maybe I should just sell all my cues and move on from the game I've become so frustrated with. Any advice?
Road players know how to lay down to get a game. They often start out getting weight and eventually have to give weight to keep the game going. To eliminate that possibility try playing other players you could barely beat in the past and see if you can still beat them.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could help you improve your level of play but I don't think that would help. The issue isn't your level of play, it is tying performance to happiness.

Too many people make this mistake. When someone equates performance with pleasure they become result oriented and begin to resent all of the challenges on the table, because those are obstacles between them and the achievement they believe they need to be happy. Their quest to improve and earn happiness has made them miserable, frustrated and burned out.

Instead you can let that go and play to enjoy the challenge. When you play to have fun you win as soon as you put your cue stick together. The happiness isn't on the other side of a barrier we must cross. There is no barrier and no happiness anywhere but the here and now. Happiness can be found only with enjoying the challenges and difficulty of the game. When we learn to dissociate performance from enjoyment we can enjoy whatever the day brings. And the funny thing is that when we rekindle our childlike mindset where we enjoy the challenges the game brings, we tend to play better and our performance follows. Performance follows state of mind, state of mind shouldn't follow performance.

I thought about a time I raced with my kids. We were walking across the park and I shouted "I'll race you to that tree over there!" Immediately we began to run. Next thing you know there was laughter, my kids were shouting at me they were gaining on me, I fell down on purpose and they passed me, then I started gaining on them and they were shouting and running. What was the point of the race? To enjoy it for itself. What was at the tree? Was there some payoff? Some reward? Some "Look at me, I reached the tree, I'm so special"? No. The tree was pointless. It didn't matter. It was there to provide a stage for us to enjoy a race together.

Pool is no different. Yes we need goals and we should strive towards them, but if you hate the journey there is no payoff upon reaching those goals that makes up for years of misery, whereas if you enjoy the pursuit of those goals then you don't need to even reach them or waste time looking for some external payoff.

I speak about this a little in my link below. I am fueled by wonder and enthusiasm, I enjoy every session I put in, and my game has always followed. II wish all of you could experience the game how I do. So if you want to enjoy the game again I suggest you listen and feel free to PM me if you want to chat. Whichever way you go I wish you the best.

Thanks - much like Stuart, I also found this post and this video to be excellent. Like the OP, my game is been on a roller coaster of recent. I had two very disappointing sessions last week playing/practicing against lesser skilled opponents, even though I was trying my best. These were sandwiched between my weekly Monday night sessions against a very formidable opponent, in which I played far closer to my potential, at least well enough to win. I find this very frustrating.

The difference between myself and the OP is that despite my ups and downs, I’m committed to playing - giving up is simply not an option for me. At 64, I’m realistic that my consistency is not going to be what it was 40 years ago. I accept that but it’s not going to keep me from trying.

I’ve owned/operated our pool room for 25 years. I had one stretch about 15 years ago when for whatever reason, I got burned out and stop playing entirely for a number of years. I started letting the pool go in terms of keeping it up, and it was noticeable among our customers. I did some soul-searching and made the decision that I was either going to get back to playing the game I love or move on to something else, which would have most likely resulted in the termination of our pool room.

As soon as I started playing again, the passion and commitment immediately came back, as well as my desire to keep our pool room and equipment in the very best condition that I can. I’ve come to accept that I may never play like I used to. However, as you have most importantly reminded all of us, we’d still rather be playing pool than most other activities we could be doing. It’s a challenge, an adrenaline rush and enjoyable, even when we are playing poorly!

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty perplexed with my game. I'm not playing up to my abilities. I was playing even and sometimes beating a local road player 3 months ago and now he can give me the wild 8. My game is going backwards. I was thinking of getting an instructor as a last ditch effort or maybe I should just sell all my cues and move on from the game I've become so frustrated with. Any advice?
Have you ever seen the movie, "The Big Lebowski"? This movie changed my perspective toward this game we all love. In the movie, Jeff Lebowski loves bowling. He loves the bowling alley. He loves his pals. He loves the atmosphere. He loves Whit Russians. And, he obviously loves the sounds of bowling, so much so that he lays on his carpet sometimes and listens to audio recordings of bowling.

You see, it's not about winning or losing. It's about the experience. It's about the journey.

I don't get to play as much as I used to so my game has suffered a lot. Initially this really affected my ego. The ego is causing your negative response as well. I've had to temper my personal expectations. But, despite playing poorly there are many things I thoroughly enjoy about this game. I love the pool rooms and the characters. I love playing! If I put 100% into each shot - with care, and focus, and my absolute best effort - that is all that matters to me now. Sometimes you might play poorly but then hit a few great shots that turn your demeanor around.

I love pool cues, and looking at pool cues, and talking about pool cues. I love AZ Billiards and learning so much from all of my friends on here. I enjoy laying in my big comfy chair at night and falling asleep to the soothing tones of Billy Incardona and Grady Mathews as they commentate a vintage Accu-stats match. Performance isn't everything. Everyone isn't going to be a pro. But, there is so much to love in this game we all enjoy I would have to ask, how could you ever quit? Find the parts of the game that you love and focus on those.

Geosnookery

I’ve played snooker for 52 years. I know the community fairly well. I’d likely rank about 390th in the world if there was such a thing. However, I really don’t care.

I play slow pitch and ball hockey and soccer. Nobody gives a hoot about improving or someday making it to some higher level. We just enjoy the moment.

I’m about to walk down to the river to spend a half hour fishing. I don’t care if I catch a fish or not. After lunch I might dabble on my guitar for a half hour and no real goal. No delusion about becoming a rock star. Later hit a few balls on the table and again, just vegging out in the moment.

If I didn’t enjoy fishing or playing my guitar I wouldn’t do it. If I didn’t enjoy playing ball hockey with my mates, Hy would I play? If I didn’t get satisfaction from playing pool, why would I play? It’s not a form of penance. Hang up the cue if it’s not a net benefit in your life. Take up woodworking, cooking or learning some instrument.

JayRack

I’ve played snooker for 52 years. I know the community fairly well. I’d likely rank about 390th in the world if there was such a thing. However, I really don’t care.

I play slow pitch and ball hockey and soccer. Nobody gives a hoot about improving or someday making it to some higher level. We just enjoy the moment.

I’m about to walk down to the river to spend a half hour fishing. I don’t care if I catch a fish or not. After lunch I might dabble on my guitar for a half hour and no real goal. No delusion about becoming a rock star. Later hit a few balls on the table and again, just vegging out in the moment.

If I didn’t enjoy fishing or playing my guitar I wouldn’t do it. If I didn’t enjoy playing ball hockey with my mates, Hy would I play? If I didn’t get satisfaction from playing pool, why would I play? It’s not a form of penance. Hang up the cue if it’s not a net benefit in your life. Take up woodworking, cooking or learning some instrument.
Very philosophical but theoretically your a world class snooker player so you should not have the same insecurities I'm having.

JayRack

The pool room owner called me while ago and told me to come up at noon today cause he had some things to do there. Usually he doesn't open till 5. I've been thinking about getting some ear buds and seeing if music might improve my lackluster game. Maybe I'm not putting enough time in. Probably should play three hours a day then make a decision on my pool future.... I'm the type of player that if I don't shoot for 10 days it's like starting over on day 11. Thanks for the responses.