Thinking of calling it a day......

JayRack

I think the biggest mistake us more experienced players make is fearing change. Other than playing non-stop, the only way we can get better is by doing things differently. This gets more challenging the longer we have played but it has to be done. I think the two steps forward and one step back mindset is best.

I'm the same age as you and I've recently made a major stance change that took a couple of months to engrain. I'm now cueing straighter than I ever have. I wouldn't encourage major changes but incremental change may be both necessary.
Talk to me about your stance change.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...I've gone with a more squared snooker like approach for years with my plant foot close to the shot line. As I really was never doing the stance correctly my shoulder would hang over the shot line. What I did was move my plant foot about 6 inches inside the line. This placed my shoulder on the line. Those actual snooker players have more flexibility than I do so I can't really twist myself like a pretzel into position. So I tried whatever I could to get my shoulder closer to the line.

The amazing part for me is I'm no longer worried about my grip. For years to cue straight I've had to adjust my wrist just so. Now I'm cueing with a natural wrist position. Going into the change I didn't even realize it would fix my grip issues but I'm very pleased it has.

Now this was a major change that I did because of covid and not being out playing. I know there's a fine line between making needless changes and incremental improvement but I'm not content with not improving so what choice do I (or we) have?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and most importantly my changes have now held up under fire. I broke even with one of our state's best rotation players on his home turf, like you -- getting the 8, but I'm only getting stronger now.

JayRack

Oh and most importantly my changes have now held up under fire. I broke even with one of our state's best rotation players on his home turf, like you -- getting the 8, but I'm only getting stronger now.
Well we are playing even now. We broke even last night with no weight but I probably should be getting the last two. I'm shooting better cause I'm playing more.

JayRack

Well...I've gone with a more squared snooker like approach for years with my plant foot close to the shot line. As I really was never doing the stance correctly my shoulder would hang over the shot line. What I did was move my plant foot about 6 inches inside the line. This placed my shoulder on the line. Those actual snooker players have more flexibility than I do so I can't really twist myself like a pretzel into position. So I tried whatever I could to get my shoulder closer to the line.

The amazing part for me is I'm no longer worried about my grip. For years to cue straight I've had to adjust my wrist just so. Now I'm cueing with a natural wrist position. Going into the change I didn't even realize it would fix my grip issues but I'm very pleased it has.

Now this was a major change that I did because of covid and not being out playing. I know there's a fine line between making needless changes and incremental improvement but I'm not content with not improving so what choice do I (or we) have?
Speaking of adapting snooker players approach on my open hand bridge I started bringing my thumb out more like Ronnie O'Sullivan and it seemed to improve my shot making...

Csim

When I just read this whole thread, after the first few posts I thought we might be on suicide watch here.

Lot's of good thoughts and good advice was given.

I am glad to see you are at least back in your game with this road player. I didn't see why you aren't getting weight.

An old man told me years ago. If you are losing to someone playing better than you... Drag them down to your level and beat them like a drum there. Lol

Anyway you have us all invested in this. We are going to need some more updates.

JayRack

When I just read this whole thread, after the first few posts I thought we might be on suicide watch here.

Lot's of good thoughts and good advice was given.

I am glad to see you are at least back in your game with this road player. I didn't see why you aren't getting weight.

An old man told me years ago. If you are losing to someone playing better than you... Drag them down to your level and beat them like a drum there. Lol

Anyway you have us all invested in this. We are going to need some more updates.
Nothing really to report. We have been playing for fun as I'm not ready to give away money. I honestly think if I had a instructor I could edge him out but there are zero instructors in my area. I find myself still missing balls I should make. I don't know if it's a concentration thing or what. He has a little better cue ball control and he never lacks in confidence. I have to just keep plugging along. I really want to surpass this guy. I'm not sure if it's a healthy goal mentally but when I was growing up and you went out of town to play, people would say where are u from and when I told them they would all say that's where (insert road players name) is from. He had a name throughout the area and even though his best days are behind him he's still a scratch player and he is an absolute ego maniac. He will sit and talk about how good he is for 20 minutes straight without batting an eye.

John R

Thank you John. Most people down here do not like playing for fun. I think my poor play was because I was only playing once a week. I've been playing two hours a day and have been playing better so I'm encouraged.
Something you could try is set a minimum of 200/300 balls a day and as you throw them on the table try shooting them in order by groups such as odd numbers first then run even numbers. Once you do this try doing the group in numerical sequence. It just adds a little different twist to running the balls off. Good luck and don’t quit.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
To me, the impossibility of mastering this game is one of its best attributes. Frustration means something new this way comes.

You'll never get bored. That's worth something to me.

Jeff Livingston
Right! I'm the type of person that can pick up new hobbies or endeavors relatively quickly, then once I "git gud" I lose interest and almost always quit said activity. For me, I almost get a high from learning new things and seeing how they work. Pool is the only thing, not just sport, that has always kept my interest. Once you think you're getting good, you realize you know nothing. Once you're in dead stroke, something comes up that requires you to really pick things apart and look into your own "person" to figure out what is happening. It's so difficult and interesting for such a simple game.

Nothing really to report. We have been playing for fun as I'm not ready to give away money. I honestly think if I had a instructor I could edge him out but there are zero instructors in my area. I find myself still missing balls I should make. I don't know if it's a concentration thing or what. He has a little better cue ball control and he never lacks in confidence. I have to just keep plugging along. I really want to surpass this guy. I'm not sure if it's a healthy goal mentally but when I was growing up and you went out of town to play, people would say where are u from and when I told them they would all say that's where (insert road players name) is from. He had a name throughout the area and even though his best days are behind him he's still a scratch player and he is an absolute ego maniac. He will sit and talk about how good he is for 20 minutes straight without batting an eye.
Let's be honest here, figuring out what's wrong and fixing it is as much fun as winning. It's like hacking yourself at your core "person-hood" and it's a trip!

Last edited:

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read all the replies.

I've been playing the same guy for 30 years. Sometimes I play his brother.
When I play my friend, we go about 50/50. Truth be told I will more than I lose but we play neck and neck.
Every once in a while someone will challenge the table. My buddy always makes me play the challenger because I rarely lose the table. He, on the other hand, plays his regular game and we'd lose the table.

What I'm saying is when I play the same guy over and over, I tend to play to his level. Step in some fresh meat and I play beyond that original level by leaps.

It's possible that playing the same guy has decreased your game. On top of that, you might expect to do crappy against him so you DO play crappy against him.

Get some fresh meat on the table. Pick a new game. Do anything to change it up so you don't get stale.
And check your cue tip. Sometimes a subtle chip on the tip can throw off your entire game.

On that note, when I'm shooting, I always check the rotation of the butt to make sure I hit with the same clock position all the time. Very subtle flex shifts in the shaft can alter trajectory enough to affect long shots. If you end up with any kind of warp at all, have the warp angle straight up and down.

JayRack

I didn't read all the replies.

I've been playing the same guy for 30 years. Sometimes I play his brother.
When I play my friend, we go about 50/50. Truth be told I will more than I lose but we play neck and neck.
Every once in a while someone will challenge the table. My buddy always makes me play the challenger because I rarely lose the table. He, on the other hand, plays his regular game and we'd lose the table.

What I'm saying is when I play the same guy over and over, I tend to play to his level. Step in some fresh meat and I play beyond that original level by leaps.

It's possible that playing the same guy has decreased your game. On top of that, you might expect to do crappy against him so you DO play crappy against him.

Get some fresh meat on the table. Pick a new game. Do anything to change it up so you don't get stale.
And check your cue tip. Sometimes a subtle chip on the tip can throw off your entire game.

On that note, when I'm shooting, I always check the rotation of the butt to make sure I hit with the same clock position all the time. Very subtle flex shifts in the shaft can alter trajectory enough to affect long shots. If you end up with any kind of warp at all, have the warp angle straight up and down.
Thank you. Unlike you this guy has beaten me more than I beat him. About 5 months ago I drilled him 5 days in a row for the cash. I was really in stroke and for the first time he was questioning in his mind if I was better. He would never admit to this but I know he did. I'm just trying like hell to get back there.