I sympathize with Billy Thorpe

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty simple to me. You’re a sports figure. You have sponsors. You get loose with your behavior on a livestream. You no longer have sponsors. He will bounce back from this. But it’s a lesson he apparently needed to learn.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That is chicken shit....and I wouldn't play with a Cuetec if you paid me.

Hope they never go to SBE or DCC...they would switch to making tomato stakes full time.

PC BS cancel future has no place in pool.
Come on, "the party of personal responsibility" does not like personal responsibility?

If a representative of a business does not do their job, they lose their job.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on, "the party of personal responsibility" does not like personal responsibility?

If a representative of a business does not do their job, they lose their job.
Patty....it's pool for Christ's sake.

What other professional sport requires people to gamble like this to survive.

I've done and seen far worse than what Billy did.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool can be on ESPN tomorrow, if you want to pay to show it. That's how axe throwing and cornhole get airtime, and how the Pro Women's Pool Tour used to be on. The promoters of the event buy the airtime to show the events, and they sell the advertising to pay for it. ESPN isn't paying to put this stuff on, either pool or cornhole.

So yes, you can have pool on ESPN tomorrow if you'd like.
Ok, and who’s going to pay ESPN to have pool shown? How are you going to get sponsors to pony up the cash when you have after hours bar fights on display?

So yes, you can have pool on ESPN tomorrow if you can get sponsors to pay for it.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Quit trying to think of pool as a professional sport, and then you don’t have to worry about the professionals acting like a-holes.

Problem solved.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

It's one thing to get into an argument, it's another to take it as far as he did. I've seen far worse too, but not when they had a job representing a brand.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's one thing to get into an argument, it's another to take it as far as he did. I've seen far worse too, but not when they had a job representing a brand.
Pool had a lot more going for it before all the corporate vultures selling chinese cues came along.

At it's core pool is a gambling endeavor, played by people on the fringe. That's where the action is...league pool, upscale pool, family room pool...all pale by comparison.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s get real. This isn’t cancel culture. There wasn’t a mounting pressure on Cuetec to drop Billy based on numerous articles, tweets and blogs calling for it. This is nothing more than a sponsor that decided to drop an athlete because he exhibited public behavior that didn’t match their brand and standards. Having sponsors isn’t an entitlement.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Let’s get real. This isn’t cancel culture. There wasn’t a mounting pressure on Cuetec to drop Billy based on numerous articles, tweets and blogs calling for it. This is nothing more than a sponsor that decided to drop an athlete because he exhibited public behavior that didn’t match their brand and standards. Having sponsors isn’t an entitlement.
We don't know what kind of pressure Cuetec was under.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Ok, and who’s going to pay ESPN to have pool shown? How are you going to get sponsors to pony up the cash when you have after hours bar fights on display?

So yes, you can have pool on ESPN tomorrow if you can get sponsors to pay for it.
You're correct.

The argument that comes up (and what prompted me to reply) is something to the effect of "ESPN isn't gonna show pool if this stuff keeps happening...look at cornhole and axe throwing, they get on TV"... any of these niche events are on ESPN because someone paid for it.

Now Matchroom...that's a whole different animal. They are VERY successful world-wide. And THEY take this stuff seriously. Doesn't affect Joe Six-pack here in 'murrica, but when it comes to the Mosconi Cup, one of the bigger paydays in pro pool here in the US, well...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is chicken shit....and I wouldn't play with a Cuetec if you paid me.

Hope they never go to SBE or DCC...they would switch to making tomato stakes full time.

PC BS cancel future has no place in pool.

I doubt you'd have to worry about CueTec sponsoring you.

Lou Figueroa
just a guess

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt you'd have to worry about CueTec sponsoring you.

Lou Figueroa
just a guess
Wow Lou...
What are you 5?

Says the guy who was part of one of the biggest clown shows in pool....and calls himself winner over a guy with a chicken wing stroke. What a genuinely ridiculous accomplishment.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool had a lot more going for it before all the corporate vultures selling chinese cues came along.

At it's core pool is a gambling endeavor, played by people on the fringe. That's where the action is...league pool, upscale pool, family room pool...all pale by comparison.

Pool could be much more than all that.

But, it is currently populated with many people who don't care enough to make the sport grow and, in turn, become a professional, viable career avenue. So whadda we have? We have players grinding away and behaving slightly better than animals fighting over a scrap of meat. Until players, and more companies like CueTec, aspire to more, we'll all stay snapping and snarling at each other for a few scraps.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool could be much more than all that.

But, it is currently populated with many people that don't care enough to make the sport grow and, in turn, become a professional, viable career avenue. So whadda we have? We have players grinding away and behaving slightly better than animals fighting over a scrape of meat. Until players, and more companies like CueTec, aspire to more, we'll all stay snapping and snarling at each other for a few scraps.

Lou Figueroa
Pool is going nowhere and that's fine....
Enjoy the ride to the bottom.
I'm sure you have a core of lifelong friends who play...that's enough.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow Lou...
What are you 5?

Says the guy who was part of one of the biggest clown shows in pool....and calls himself winner over a guy with a chicken wing stroke. What a genuinely ridiculous accomplishment.

No, actually I just turned 67.

But looking at it from your perspective, I'm surprised you weren't a fan of my match with JB. I mean, it basically had all the fixings you seem to applaud, to include over the top woofing, cheating, and a near fight, all on the part of JB -- sounds right up your alley. i just tried to keep my eye on the ball and take him off.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: