Billy Thorp Interview

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great photo! Anyone care to take a shot to see how many players they can name in that photo? Early to mid 1990s? I could name maybe 15 of them and I recognize a number of the other faces, but can’t place them by name. Is that the Miz on the far left of the second row with the blue stripe shirt and glasses? Looks kind of like him, but not entirely.

I can name most of them.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In that vain, years ago I was on a date to go hear a live band in Chicago. The place had a strict dress code and rather large cover charge for that time. My girlfriend and I were dressed to the nines. When the band came on stage, they were dressed in tank tops, ripped jeans, tennis shoes or sandals, etc. They looked like a typical band practicing in their garage. I went up to the bartender and said to give us our money back. He knew I was pissed and could cause an issue if he got on the wrong side of me. He did not hesitate in refunding our money.
You don't seem to understand the difference between your role and that of the people on stage...please don't cause me any trouble. How exactly did you expect the entertainers on stage to be dressed? You obviously knew who they were.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRJ

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It was a jazz club and yes I cared when we were made to go home and change clothes to get in, and pay $35 a piece, to hear a local jazz quartet in 1996. And I never mentioned suits and ties.
You said you were dressed to the nines...not that you were "made to go home". Either way, you were there, the band was playing. Why did it ruin your evening because the performers were not dressed like you. What if you had no dress code and showed up the way you normally dress andbthey had on a nice suit. Would you make a scene over your $35 over that?

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said you were dressed to the nines...not that you were "made to go home". Either way, you were there, the band was playing. Why did it ruin your evening because the performers were not dressed like you. What if you had no dress code and showed up the way you normally dress andbthey had on a nice suit. Would you make a scene over your $35 over that?

My money. My choice. And the beautiful thing was, I didn't create a scene. When you're right, you're right. The band got the boot for their appearance.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 585103

Here’s a group picture of a group of pool players taken several years ago. You would never know they were pool players by today’s lack of a dress code.

Here's a few more - Nick Mannino, fourth from the left on the bottom row, George Breedlove on the end of the second row from the top next to San Souci, Mike Xiarhos with the white hair between Kim and Rempe, Rich Geiler and George Michaels on the far right of the top row, Jr. Harris sixth from the left on the top row with Roger Griffis next to him, That's Ravi S. the doctor from India at the far left of the top row, Raphael Martinez between Rempe and Varner, Steve Eakin in the dark jacket next to Tony Robles, Billy Aguero San Fran fourth from right in top row, Mark Jarvis on the end of the front row, Jeff Carter next to Tommy Kennedy, Jose Garcia fifth from the right in the top row, I think that's Bill Stephen next to Archer, I think that's Jaymie Goodwin next to Tony Ellin in the front row, Art Wiggins third from the left in the top row, I think the little guy with the cue is Michael Staubes, Pretty sure that's David Matlock in between Jeff Carter and Danny Harriman. It's so blurry it's hard to make out the features on some guys.

No Rosas or Sambajon.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony ? from San Fran fourth from right in top row (I'll think of his name),
Jay, Is it Tony Annigoni?

Regarding the dress code: Grady had a great gag he often included in his intro when he did his countless exhibitions:

"What do they say to a pool player dressed up in a suit and tie?"

"Will the defendant please rise."

Arnaldo

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too much tolerance for disgusting behaviour in American Pool. He should be kicked out.

Same excuses as ‘It’s just Earl’

The irony is next week there will be another thread with navel gazing about why Pool flounders around as a pro sport. Hint: it needs ‘professional’ behaviour.
Yeah a young kid with no past history of this makes a single mistake. Let’s kick him out because im sure your perfect rIght. Go away idiot. The game or the world doesn’t need idiots like you.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, it's Tony Annigoni.

Regarding the dress code: Grady had a great gag he often included in his intro when he did his countless exhibitions:

"What do they say to a pool player dressed up in a suit and tie?"

"Will the defendant please rise."

Arnaldo

It's actually Billy Aguero, not Tony A.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too much tolerance for disgusting behaviour in American Pool. He should be kicked out.

Same excuses as ‘It’s just Earl’

The irony is next week there will be another thread with navel gazing about why Pool flounders around as a pro sport. Hint: it needs ‘professional’ behaviour.
I’m also betting your part of the people that glorify the hustlers , thieves and trash in the game but your worried about pools image. Non sense.

Dana Bufalo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a few more - Nick Mannino, fourth from the left on the bottom row, George Breedlove on the end of the second row from the top next to San Souci, Jimmy Reid with the white hair between Kim and Rempe, Rich Geiler and George Michaels on the far right of the top row, Jr. Harris sixth from the left on the top row with Roger Griffis next to him, That's Ravi S. the doctor from India at the far left of the top row, Raphael Martinez between Rempe and Varner, Steve Eakin in the dark jacket next to Tony Robles, Billy Aguero San Fran fourth from right in top row, Mark Jarvis on the end of the front row, Jeff Carter next to Tommy Kennedy, Jose Garcia fifth from the right in the top row, I think that's Bill Stephen next to Archer, I think that's Jaymie Goodwin next to Tony Ellin in the front row, Art Wiggins third from the left in the top row, I think the little guy with the cue is Michael Staubes, Pretty sure that's David Matlock in between Jeff Carter and Danny Harriman. It's so blurry it's hard to make out the features on some guys.
No Rosas or Sambajon.
That's Mike Xiarhos between Kim and Rempe.., Bobby "Pags" Pagliarulo to the left of Kim and a young Mike Rinella to the left of Bobby Pags.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Another point I would like to make about the whole Billy Thorpe saga is the culture of envy that we exist in. No honest person could ever claim enough moral high ground to declare Billy a bad person especially when we live in an age where there is no good or evil. People selectively use moral standards that have been long thrown away to take others down. In America the only thing we love more than building our heroes up is the act of tearing them down. Billy apologized, Rob accepted it, so why can't everyone else move on? The only reason why anyone would continue to bash on Billy is pure envy. Get your game up or get over it. And please whatever you do stop preaching to me about any topic.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Exactly, he was dressed to the nines only because they told them to go home and dress appropriately. But, then got upset because the talent was not dressed to the nines too. And then wrecks his evening out because someone did not dress up, just like he didn't when he arrived ;) lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Everybody deserves a second chance. The challenge is to learn from it and change behavior.

We could all name the world class players who couldn't beat the substance issues. In the world of baseball if you haven't read the Hack Wilson story you should. Still holds the season RBI record - highest paid player in baseball at one time - died broke. Alcohol combined with a bad temper. The undertaker paid for the suit he was buried in and his son refused to claim the body.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Billy Thorpe. It has taken down better players than Billy Thorpe.
Dramatic much?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Another point I would like to make about the whole Billy Thorpe saga is the culture of envy that we exist in. No honest person could ever claim enough moral high ground to declare Billy a bad person especially when we live in an age where there is no good or evil. People selectively use moral standards that have been long thrown away to take others down. In America the only thing we love more than building our heroes up is the act of tearing them down. Billy apologized, Rob accepted it, so why can't everyone else move on? The only reason why anyone would continue to bash on Billy is pure envy. Get your game up or get over it. And please whatever you do stop preaching to me about any topic.
Tap, tap, tap

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You went to see a "band" and cared what they looked like? Have you been around or seen any Rock Stars in the last 50 years?
I don't care if Robert Plant looks like a hobo, on his last dollar, and on his last leg. I would care about the performance I paid for. And if he sang his ass off, I would be a satisfied customer.

Unless you were at the Opera that night, I can't suspect you expected them to be wearing suits and ties unless this was in 1950 ?
Funny, that's how many of us feel about pool players.

Lot's of scumbags wear suits everyday. :)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I
Says the flip flop and t-shirt generation.
Do you wear a suit to play pool???

Didn't think so.

I'll wear whatever I want, but I can guarantee you I'm more likely to be dressed better than 95% (or more) in the pool room or bar.

Not sure what flip flop and t shirt generation is, maybe you could explain it.