Billy Thorp Interview

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the same way. They never did say what personal issues he previously dealt with.
I never need that question answered. 30 years in this business, I've seen some stuff. I've also known Mr. Saez since my beginning. Nuff said. I wish them both well.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the interviewer did a great job asking some pretty tough questions. Many people have done questionable things while drinking and others have done some terrible things while drinking. I think everyone deserves a second chance, that includes my own family and Billy Thorpe. I also believe he was very sorry and embarrassed by his behavior and it shows in this interview. Good luck to him going forward..

Geosnookery

Too much tolerance for disgusting behaviour in American Pool. He should be kicked out.

Same excuses as ‘It’s just Earl’

The irony is next week there will be another thread with navel gazing about why Pool flounders around as a pro sport. Hint: it needs ‘professional’ behaviour.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too much tolerance for disgusting behaviour in American Pool. He should be kicked out.

Same excuses as ‘It’s just Earl’

The irony is next week there will be another thread with navel gazing about why Pool flounders around as a pro sport. Hint: it needs ‘professional’ behaviour.

A total makeover from top to bottom. If nothing else a dress code. You’ve got 20K in the middle and you look like you live in a tent under the Interstate 10 overpass.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A total makeover from top to bottom. If nothing else a dress code. You’ve got 20K in the middle and you look like you live in a tent under the Interstate 10 overpass.

In that vain, years ago I was on a date to go hear a live band in Chicago. The place had a strict dress code and rather large cover charge for that time. My girlfriend and I were dressed to the nines. When the band came on stage, they were dressed in tank tops, ripped jeans, tennis shoes or sandals, etc. They looked like a typical band practicing in their garage. I went up to the bartender and said to give us our money back. He knew I was pissed and could cause an issue if he got on the wrong side of me. He did not hesitate in refunding our money.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I would have liked to hear him say he 'learned' something. But, he didn't. Just putting something behind you just doesn't sit well enough with me. I also hope he is given the opportunity to actually learn something and not be cancelled and/or dropped from the scene.

Good luck, Billy. I'm still a fan!

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that vain, years ago I was on a date to go hear a live band in Chicago. The place had a strict dress code and rather large cover charge for that time. My girlfriend and I were dressed to the nines. When the band came on stage, they were dressed in tank tops, ripped jeans, tennis shoes or sandals, etc. They looked like a typical band practicing in their garage. I went up to the bartender and said to give us our money back. He knew I was pissed and could cause an issue if he got on the wrong side of me. He did not hesitate in refunding our money.

3D8D6895-5097-42E1-9989-8A1FC1329D86.jpeg

Here’s a group picture of a group of pool players taken several years ago. You would never know they were pool players by today’s lack of a dress code.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a few smokin' hot takes:

1. Wearing some nice clothes to play isn't going to help if you turn into an a-hole after some drinks.

2. Billy was dropped by a sponsor, not given a Pete Rose lifetime ban from the sport.

3. Billy trying to make himself the victim with cryptic social media posts isn't helping his image rehab tour.

4. Robb Saez was not the problem.....the X number of drinks that Billy had was the problem. That's not to say that Robb has not ever been a problem. I have never met him, but he sounds like a problem.

5. The guy streaming the match was not the problem.....1985 isn't coming back, everything gets streamed now. Blame the internet.

6. Billy can fix all of this. Everyone does deserve a second chance. He did something dumb and is feeling a consequence from it. If this is the dumbest thing that he does in his life, he's doing pretty well. If he puts in the work and shows some growth, sponsors will come back because he's a very talented player and not a bad person.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Nice photo up there.

Suits and ties make you look good. I could go from left to right and find you some problems in that room. Problems that a professional sport shouldn't have to deal with.

I think pool is taking on the feel of bass fishing, where players (anglers) wear sporting gear when they are playing (fishing) and should have on suits when they are anywhere else where a sanctioned event is happening, if they are participating or not.

Brandon Palaniuk seen below, in fishing attire, and then accepting angler of the year award 2017
image.jpg
. Reminds me of the Mosconi cup jerseys.

Why? Because who REALLY wants to play with a ironed button down and a bowtie hanging off their neck?
Brandon-Palaniuk-Champlain-trophy-BassBlaster-bass-fishing-200804.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pic. Unfortunately, look who is sitting damn near dead center of the shot.
Great photo! Anyone care to take a shot to see how many players they can name in that photo? Early to mid 1990s? I could name maybe 15 of them and I recognize a number of the other faces, but can’t place them by name. Is that the Miz on the far left of the second row with the blue stripe shirt and glasses? Looks kind of like him, but not entirely.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody deserves a second chance. The challenge is to learn from it and change behavior.

We could all name the world class players who couldn't beat the substance issues. In the world of baseball if you haven't read the Hack Wilson story you should. Still holds the season RBI record - highest paid player in baseball at one time - died broke. Alcohol combined with a bad temper. The undertaker paid for the suit he was buried in and his son refused to claim the body.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Billy Thorpe. It has taken down better players than Billy Thorpe.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great photo! Anyone care to take a shot to see how many players they can name in that photo? Early to mid 1990s? I could name maybe 15 of them and I recognize a number of the other faces, but can’t place them by name. Is that the Miz on the far left of the second row with the blue stripe shirt and glasses? Looks kind of like him, but not entirely.
I think I recognize DiLiberto, Strickland, Buddy Hall, Willie Munson, Rempe, Varner, of course the guy I will not mention, and I am having a hard time actually seeing some of the other people. My eyes are looking bleary.