FLOWERS AND JUSTIS CUE CASES HISTORIES

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I just sold the only Justis case I had but I do have 3 Flowers cases and I've wondered for years what is behind their almost identical appearances. Who came first there? How did it come down? I've always cherished my Flowers cases above the Justis cases I've had. What's the rap on these cases?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just sold the only Justis case I had but I do have 3 Flowers cases and I've wondered for years what is behind their almost identical appearances. Who came first there? How did it come down? I've always cherished my Flowers cases above the Justis cases I've had. What's the rap on these cases?
My understanding is Jay Flowers was the first to popularise that style of case. Second was Dennis Sturdivant from Atlanta. I do not know who came next.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excerpts from my article on Jack Justis from InsidePOOL Magazine - 2006

"His career path changed again when he started playing more pool after a new pool room opened up near his home. “A guy walked into the room with a Jay Flowers case. I was just so fascinated by it that I wanted to go home and try to make one,” recalls Justis. Never working before in the leather industry, Jack resolved to make himself a cue case. He purchased leather working products and supplies from the local Tandy leather shop and got started. “I was always looking for something to do, and making a case seemed like something I wanted to get into,” he says. He also purchased a leather case making book by Al Stohlman, The Art of Making Leather Cases in order to learn joinery and tooling techniques.

“After reading the book, I was ready!” says Jack excitedly. “I bought a side of leather (half of a cow), and with the help of Toots, I made patterns out of paper and got to work.” He had seen the inner workings of the Jay Flowers case because the lining had worn through. Jack could see that the tubes that held the shafts and butts were simply garden pipe or PVC pipe."

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
Hey Jim. Glad to see you posting and hope you're feeling better. Sent you a PM probably a year ago. Don't know if you got it. Would like to talk to you about Sailor cues. If you have time give me a call. My phone number is in the message

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jack Justis said that he called Jay and asked about getting a case and was told 8 weeks and decided to build one.

Jay Flowers did popularize the western-belt style of cue case but he wasn't the first to market/make them according to my research.

I collect cases for study and pleasure. Here is a post I wrote in 2008 about the history of cue case making as I knew it at that time.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
As Fred said, Jay Flowers inspired Jack Justis but it's possible Dennis Swift pre-dated both of them, although I've never asked Jack about that, Dennis saw that pro pool player and pro golfer Dave Bollman had made a leather case for his cue in the style of a golf bag. He was inspired and came up with a leather cases that closely resemble the Flowers cases. Jay outsourced the casemaking to a local leather shop. Flowers cases were very popular and they are a fine product. http://www.palmercollector.com/JayFlowers.html