6 STEPS OF THE POOL SHOT:

Step 1: FIRE UP

Step 2: CHOOSE

Step 3: AIM

Step 4: SET-UP

Step 5: SHOOT

Step 6: FINISH

THE CONCEPT:

Breaking the shot into 6 steps provides a simple framework of it. Then the shot is built and corrected upon that.

A new player might simply focus on doing each step while competing, to calm nerves and reduce mistakes. The time to work in-depth on improving each step and putting them together, is during dedicated practice time.

A higher-level player can use the 6 steps to confirm the fundamental structure of his shot without losing any of the good parts of it. He is already working at the ingredient level (the steps within the steps) for very precise, deep levels of control.

A developing player can quickly see if his shot has the 6 steps in order and build upon that while fixing ingredients as needed.

How far a player takes this is up to his goals and attitude, all blended within Step 1…

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 1: FIRE UP…a purpose.

It is here where a player’s attitude and goals begin expressing themselves.

For the novice player, it’s the reason he started playing, but this will change over time.

For the high-level player who has mastered the other steps, this one has now defaulted to becoming the most important to further improvement. Any advantage over equally-tough competition is created here.

For a developing player somewhere in-between these two skill levels, his purpose and attitude can change for the worse after bad experiences, if not carefully considered and managed. Frustration is a clue to needing more work on this step.

If not honest with himself here, this step loses most of its power for any player.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 2: CHOOSE…a purposeful shot.

This step usually takes the longest. Experience will shorten that and imagination will improve it.

A new player can win sooner by choosing strategic shots instead of easy-to-make shots. But perhaps choosing the easy-to-make shot builds more confidence or is simply more fun. Goals determine this.

A high-level experienced player will often use chess-like shot choices that result in simple wins.

A mid-level player can quickly grow better by researching this complex subject in detail. Working to keep a good shot rhythm here can help bring about a good choice in good time.

Envisioning each potential shot helps the decision.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 3: AIM…as envisioned.

This is done standing up. All of it. Always.

Here is where a new player tends to spend most of his efforts, right or wrong. Learning how-to-aim takes this kind of time. A simple aiming system is best. More details can be added later.

It seems so quick and easy for the high-level player, but he has simply mastered over time, through disciplined work, those pesky how-to-aim ingredients. Each one mastered improves the aiming.

Adopting more exactness can really elevate shot-making skill for the mid-level player. Aiming at a small target forces concentration.

Holding that exact aim in mind leads to the next step.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 4: SET-UP…to the aim.

Setting up to the aim, not aiming, is the goal here. Aiming is already done. Re-aiming here means the previous step wasn’t completed first. Doing the steps fully, in order, makes for a better shot.

A beginner had better first learn what his body, cue, and cuetip are really doing. Video, mirrors, friends can help; guessing can’t. Then, the better set-up becomes more comfortable and automatic.

The best player looks like a fluid robot when setting up. ‘Simple-looking’ means he’s done much work.

Specifying this down to the raw, basic physical movements quickly helps the developing player. Details of eye pattern, set-up sequence, physiology, head position are critical for becoming a high-level player.

Getting a lesson from a professional pool teacher reduces mistakes much quicker than going alone.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 5: SHOOT…as set-up.

It is said that the stroke is pool. At this moment in the shot, it is. A good stroke delivers all the work a player has done so far; a poor one makes waste of it all.

The goal for the newbie is to smoothly move the pool cue back a few inches and forward a few, in a straight plane at a certain pace.

The goal for the best pro in the world is the exact same.

A growing player who works on doing this simple thing well will usually make a leap to a higher level.

No re-aiming, re-setting, or unnecessary movement here, just the stroke in line with the set-up.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Step 6: FINISH…this shot now.

Observe, analyze, and integrate results. This can take from an instant up to ten seconds or so. If returning to the chair, who knows how long? This time is best used wisely. Now is when a player learns…or not.

Emotion can overwhelm the newer player who erred, so he misses important input here by focusing on the wrong things. Handling errors properly is a fast way to improvement. Players miss. Exploring exactly what happened reduces misses and increases fun.

A high-level player might get emotional, but he could actually be taming this wild power by mixing it into Step 1 of his next shot(s), not as a distraction from this shot. This power transfer can be learned over time for the player who hasn’t yet mastered his emotions at the table.

The developing player stops bad habits by doing this step every shot. If a player doesn’t know exactly what he did right, it is hard to repeat; if he doesn’t know exactly what he did wrong, it’s easy to repeat.

If not honest with himself here, this step loses most of its power for any player, the same as in Step 1…

Jeff Livingston

CONTINUED ON POST # 15...

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
6 STEPS OF THE POOL SHOT:

Step 6: FINISH
Interesting.... Originally after only reading the list I would have chopped 1 & 2 off. After reading you're explainations. I'd flip 3 & 4 as well.

Anyone that claims that they don't alter the aim (even minutely) after getting down on the ball on anything other than the most inconsequential is lying to themselves.

I am not a professional player, and/or an instructor so please weigh my opinion as such.

drop_pocket

Step 3: AIM…as envisioned.

This is done standing up. All of it. Always.
I imagine you mean it's done before setting up/getting down on the cue ball.

I find it very hard to aim from a "standing up" position. I typically bend over to get a good look at where I want to aim. Then I stand up, put my cue in place, get down on the shot, and fire.

I do this being only 5'6". Though perhaps it is more important for me than other players because my vision in one eye is worse than the other and it throws off my ability to focus and perceive depth.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I imagine you mean it's done before setting up/getting down on the cue ball.

I find it very hard to aim from a "standing up" position. I typically bend over to get a good look at where I want to aim. Then I stand up, put my cue in place, get down on the shot, and fire.

I do this being only 5'6". Though perhaps it is more important for me than other players because my vision in one eye is worse than the other and it throws off my ability to focus and perceive depth.

You just adding an ingredient in your AIM step: Bend over and get a good look at where to aim.

You're still holding that aim in mind as you bend over for good. You don't want to be changing it then. I found after years that if I was changing my aim after being down on the shot, I had done something wrong just before. When I didn't tweak my aim while down, I made more shots so I decided to aim while up and never change that while down. It has made my aiming much more accurate. That's why my call to do it standing.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Drop pocket, see this 2 minute video:

He is explaining what I tried to.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Interesting.... Originally after only reading the list I would have chopped 1 & 2 off. After reading you're explainations. I'd flip 3 & 4 as well.

Anyone that claims that they don't alter the aim (even minutely) after getting down on the ball on anything other than the most inconsequential is lying to themselves.

I am not a professional player, and/or an instructor so please weigh my opinion as such.

I missed your post apparently. Thanks for responding.

Setting up to the aim is the key, imho.

Try it and then just trust that you've aimed correctly after your set up, and then shoot. You'll know soon enough. I rarely get back up anymore and I rarely tweak my aim much after down. Try seeing the aim, setting up to that, then shooting without tweaking anything. Do it with a straight-in shot a few times, one that doesn't need much aiming, just a good setup.

I'm going to post the ingredients here for each step. That might give you a better idea of what is done and how.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
...CONTINUED FROM POST #7

INGREDIENTS INSIDE THE 6 STEPS OF THE POOL SHOT

As the 6 steps are learned, it quickly becomes obvious that more details are needed to get better.

Each step can be filled with individual ingredients, each a specific, necessary action done on every shot, first over-learned through deliberate conscious practice, and only then done in subconscious play.

Each player creates his own “recipe,” especially for AIM and SET-UP which are built over time through trial and error. FIRE UP, CHOOSE, SHOOT, and FINISH ingredients are common to most players but are uniquely done. A personal recipe requires work and time. The 6 Steps framework can help.

Here is an example of ingredients placed into each step. It is only ONE example, not the ONLY.

The user of this recipe is confident it will continue to improve over time as it has for 35 years...

Jeff Livingston

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Establish Goal-Based Attitude

Concentrate

Establish Rhythm

Think Confidence

Turn-on Creative Imagination

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Chalk Up

Look it Over

Think at Least 3 Plays Ahead

Think Through Each Potential Shot’s Details, Strategy and Odds

Choose the Best Shot and “Watch the movie” of it in Detail.

Accept it as the Shot

EDITed The "think through..." line. Each potential shot has to consider the details to make it, how the shot fits in with the table play strategy, and a quick take on the odds of being able to pull it off vs. another choice of shot.

I hadn't changed this Step for years. Now, it's better, so I am better at choosing shots.

Jeff Livingston

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Look at the Object Ball’s Target

Visualize the Object Ball’s Path

Visualize the Contact Point

Visualize/Verbalize the Ghost Ball and Aiming Plane (e.g., see and say an aiming system #)

Integrate All Details of English, Speed, Cue Angle, etc.

Allow Brain and Eyes Time Enough to “Lock it in”

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

STILL STANDING, find the Plane of the Shot’s Aim and put eyes into it

Relax Shoulder and put it in Plane next and Start Aligning Right Foot to the Plane

Stroke Cue in Air while Aligning Bridge and Grip, Head and Arm Positions to that Plane

Still Standing, Lower Arms so the Cue is Nearer the Cueball, Keeping all in Plane

Move Eyes to Cueball

Place Left Foot Pointed at Cueball

BEND OVER AT THE WAIST while Looking at the Cueball/Tip/Cue Relationship to keep all in Plane

Move the Tip/Cue toward the Contact Spot/Angle on Cueball, Staying in Plane

Make a Solid Bridge under that, Position Cue in/on it, Tweaking a Proper Grip and Stance, in Plane

Adjust Cuetip to Hit Exact Spot on Cueball (If Pivoting, don’t move Bridge but Tweak Stance Only)

Move Eyes up the Cueball Path

Tweak Final Set-Up Details and Adjust Right Foot Last while Slow-stroking Cue in Plane

“Lock-in” the Aim and Accept it as is

Move Eyes back to Cueball/Tip and “Lock-in” the Tip Contact Point

SETTLE INTO FINAL POSITION, in Plane

Establish Pace with 2 Final Practice Strokes (“this hard…this hard”)

Stop Tip near Cueball (“SET”)

Move Eyes Slowly up the Cueball Path and see the Aim

Accept the Set-Up as is

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

(Eyes are still looking up at the Aim)

Breathe Out

Feel the Shot

Hold Steady

Think Submerging Thought

Slowly Draw Pool Cue Straight Back

Smooth Transition at the end of Backstroke (“PAUSE”)

Deliver Cue Straight Forward at Rehearsed Pace (“this hard”)

Allow Tip to Naturally Stop on the Cloth (“FREEZE”)

Jeff Livingston