R.I.P another Gambling legend.

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Word here in Houston in the poker scene is that Legendary Poker and pool gambler Fly Boy Jimmy Spears has moved on this morning. Always fun to be around and definitely kept the chips moving no matter what he was gambling at. Rest In peace bud.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1614662246837.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614662246837.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 195
  • FB_IMG_1614662242244.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614662242244.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 220

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Flyboy - Jimmy Spears, should have been named Action Jackson. Always in action. I never heard anyone say a bad thing about Flyboy.

We are losing to many old players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hadn't seen him in over 25 years. Condolences to his family and friends.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a memory of Flyboy and Clyde Childress. There was a three day nine-ball tournament in St. Louis in the Summer of 1978. All the notable players of the time were present (Mizerak, Sigel, R Allen, Keith etc). Flyboy and Clyde began playing one-hole for a thousand a game before the event even started. They were betting their own cash. The game went to 2K and eventually 3K. This is 1978! Both players forfeited all their matches and played straight through the tournament. This is how legends were made at that time...two players with a lot of gamble and a lot of heart.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him and Grady Mathews at Lamberts RBD's in Baton Rouge many years ago. A lot of money was moving around that room.

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saw him and Grady Mathews at Lamberts RBD's in Baton Rouge many years ago. A lot of money was moving around that room.
There are still a few photos on the Lamberts web page, not much pool related though. Just curious what the RB D stood for. I went one time years ago but due to alcohol consumption, lack the ability to relate any relevant stories.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a memory of Flyboy and Clyde Childress. There was a three day nine-ball tournament in St. Louis in the Summer of 1978. All the notable players of the time were present (Mizerak, Sigel, R Allen, Keith etc). Flyboy and Clyde began playing one-hole for a thousand a game before the event even started. They were betting their own cash. The game went to 2K and eventually 3K. This is 1978! Both players forfeited all their matches and played straight through the tournament. This is how legends were made at that time...two players with a lot of gamble and a lot of heart.
Awesome!

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are still a few photos on the Lamberts web page, not much pool related though. Just curious what the RB D stood for. I went one time years ago but due to alcohol consumption, lack the ability to relate any relevant stories.
I think they stood for Restaurant, Billiards and Daquiris. Behind the bar they had like 10 - 12 frozen daquiri machines.

Speaking about Lambert's - I played the Milkman there for 500 a game(most I have ever played for - individual game) on the pre-Simonis

9ftr there. You had to really stroke whitey to get anywhere, compared to Simonis today. Broke even.

Lambert liked the action, bought me and my friend, Warren, a chicken fried steak. Talk about action - precursor to Buffalo's.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Word here in Houston in the poker scene is that Legendary Poker and pool gambler Fly Boy Jimmy Spears has moved on this morning. Always fun to be around and definitely kept the chips moving no matter what he was gambling at. Rest In peace bud.
So sorry to hear this. Jimmy lived down our way for a while in Louisiana. I had the opportunity to play him some one pocket in his later years (after his automobile accident, when he had recovered a bit) and I was getting some good weight and had him stuck for about $1500. He asked if we could play one more set for $2000 and I agreed and I got to the hill first and was up in the ball count in the last game and he made an outstanding shot and got shape on the correct side of the rack to run out and win the set. All I could do was shake his hand. I believe he preferred playing poker to pool.