Dale Perry.... Is he shutting down?

9ballscorpion

Thanks for the info. $250 just seems high for one of his cues. I can get a nice Meucci unmarked M1 for that price.

If you ever see a DP that does not have his Signature on the forearm, and just has DP on the butt cap, and has a Uni-Loc joint on it, then that is one of his older customs, from before he started selling on ebay. They hit so much sweeter, in my opinion. Really amazing hit to his older customs. They are super rare though, so if you ever see one for cheap, I would grab it, because I think any player would be very happy with one of his older customs.

9ballscorpion

He is a certified Cue Maker. The one I had was really nice looking. I never shot with it. Did not have it very long. But the finish was really nice. I am interested in his sneaky Pete builds. He told me he bought all the remaining blanks that Valley had. He said he sorted thru them and kept all the good ones and he cuts them to were they should be and puts one of his stage 4 shafts with it. He builds with no logo and uses a oil finish to make it look more authentic. $250 is what he sells them for. I have found a fondness for sneaky’s. The good ones seem to play get nicely

For $250, you could get a Joss sneaky, which would be far higher quality, in my opinion.

9ballscorpion

True Joss makes a very nice cue. I had one back in the early 90’s that had a leather wrap. I really liked the hit of it.

The Joss sneaky is probably the only Joss that I really loved. Every other Joss I ever had, I really did not care for. The Joss sneaky hit amazing though. They have made several different models over the years. I think the ones from the 90's were the best looking.

Schon made a sneaky called the Black Widow, and that was a super nice / classy sneaky pete. It was made with Ebony into Birds Eye Maple. Super classy cue.

With Joss, you do not know how it will hit until you try it, but with Schon cues, they all hit very similar, in my opinion.

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Joss sneaky is probably the only Joss that I really loved. Every other Joss I ever had, I really did not care for. The Joss sneaky hit amazing though. They have made several different models over the years. I think the ones from the 90's were the best looking.

Schon made a sneaky called the Black Widow, and that was a super nice / classy sneaky pete. It was made with Ebony into Birds Eye Maple. Super classy cue.

With Joss, you do not know how it will hit until you try it, but with Schon cues, they all hit very similar, in my opinion.
Joss cues, hit very consistent.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok just got of the Phone with Dale again and Yes something weird is up. I have been looking at his eBay with no cues listed and I thought well I will call and see if he is making any new ones. He seemed very quick in telling me that he is not in the position to make any Cues right now and he is not taking any orders either that later he will have some but only a few. I reminded him I had just spoke to him a couple of days ago about his sneaky Pete cue and he abruptly told me that he had 2 and I had to take them both for $500 and that he needs the Money by the end of the day. So something is not right. I said Thanks anyway and hanged up the phone. So he may be out of business for a while it sounds like.

9ballscorpion

Ok just got of the Phone with Dale again and Yes something weird is up. I have been looking at his eBay with no cues listed and I thought well I will call and see if he is making any new ones. He seemed very quick in telling me that he is not in the position to make any Cues right now and he is not taking any orders either that later he will have some but only a few. I reminded him I had just spoke to him a couple of days ago about his sneaky Pete cue and he abruptly told me that he had 2 and I had to take them both for $500 and that he needs the Money by the end of the day. So something is not right. I said Thanks anyway and hanged up the phone. So he may be out of business for a while it sounds like.

Sounds like a sad situation he might be in. Hope all is okay with him. I see there are some listed on ebay right now, and here is one directly from him, for $99, with no Reserve.

Dale Perry Custom Pool Cue 1/1 Mango-Maple Stage IV Upgrade | eBay

I see he has some shafts for sale, and some cue making equipment.

DP Custom Cues | eBay Stores

Looks, and sounds like he might not be making any more cues.

This Pandemic may have ruined his business. Sad.

They are very decent hitting cues, with his Stage 4 shaft, and it has a nice long taper on it. They used to sell super cheap, for around $100 to $150 tops, but in recent years, they have been selling for much more at times.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Dale Perry cue off EBay a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!

I paid 99 bucks for it. I always wanted a cue with cocobolo in it. I almost got a Mezz EC7, but because I could not see the cue before hand I was hesitant. I saw the DP cue with cocobolo and pulled the trigger. I was very impressed with it. The quality of the wood and the finishing. The one I bought had inlays. If Dale keeps making cues I will be looking for a plain jane.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best deal for the $ imo. He kinda jacked his rep when he started direct selling so cheaply. A lot of guys paid big $ for a cue and the values of these plummeted when he started Ebay'ing cues so cheap. I've owned a couple and there's a few guys at the 'hall that use them. All paid 150ish and got one great playing cue.
I had one of his $99 e bay cues and it played very, very well- it was constructed well too- I own cues from some of our best makers here in the U.S.- so I am not inexperienced with cues- IMO his cues are the best cue deal for the money anywhere- they far outshine the Filipino cues in playability- I have owned one of those too- and I'm not prejudiced- just look at my aviatar:):)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one of his $99 e bay cues and it played very, very well- it was constructed well too- I own cues from some of our best makers here in the U.S.- so I am not inexperienced with cues- IMO his cues are the best cue deal for the money anywhere- they far outshine the Filipino cues in playability- I have owned one of those too- and I'm not prejudiced- just look at my aviatar:):)
Nice!! Nothing wrong with a lady with a little extra flavor.

norest

Registered
He made a custom cue for me awhile back. On the phone he told me that quality shaft-wood is getting very scarce and the exotic woods are even harder to come by. On his eBay store there are a lot of wood pieces for sale now in addition to the machine / tooling items. I don't think he would be selling off wood pieces if his plans were to keep making cues.

I can't and won't try to speak in regard to his old days and old pricing, etc. There are lots of people who feel betrayed by his pricing and business model changes. I can only speak of the DP cues that I have purchased (10 total..at a bargain) and they are terrific. His competitors have to be thrilled if this is the end.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what happened? I just noticed Dale Perry has 2 cues on EBAY buy it now, one is $400 the other is $500. This is in the description:

THIS IS A COMPLETE CUE - BUTT AND SHAFT INCLUDED
DP Custom Cues is Closed.
I Very Few Cues Left, when these are gone there will not be any more...ever. DP Custom Cues is Closed.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I picked up one of his ebay cues a few months ago (it had mango wood that I liked and it was cheap). The 30in shaft that came with it was nice and the cue was similar overall to my old mcdermott. Too bad if he is done.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what happened? I just noticed Dale Perry has 2 cues on EBAY buy it now, one is $400 the other is $500. This is in the description:

THIS IS A COMPLETE CUE - BUTT AND SHAFT INCLUDED
DP Custom Cues is Closed.
I Very Few Cues Left, when these are gone there will not be any more...ever. DP Custom Cues is Closed.

Maybe he is retiring? I think he's been at this game since the 90s?