My Home Pool Room Journey

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
In the last few hours since my last post, I’ve taken a couple hundred nails out of the concrete floor and cinder block walls. Floor was done with a claw hammer which made the holes. Wall nails were chopped off at the surface with a grinder. Then I filled all the holes with concrete patch. I will say this rolling knee pad from harbor freight was awesome for this tedious job. Rolled right around the room filling everything in. Tomorrow after work I’ll come back and knock off all the high spots with some sandpaper and move on to something else.

Water heaters get moved on Saturday and hope to get a good bit of framing done as well.

0783671beb069ee2a0caf4465643d797.jpg

d7e98ecb9b3d27bf938131d606e1489f.jpg

17aa12f4955f6f9ca9557378dfec8239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
In the last few hours since my last post, I’ve taken a couple hundred nails out of the concrete floor and cinder block walls. Floor was done with a claw hammer which made the holes. Wall nails were chopped off at the surface with a grinder. Then I filled all the holes with concrete patch. I will say this rolling knee pad from harbor freight was awesome for this tedious job. Rolled right around the room filling everything in. Tomorrow after work I’ll come back and knock off all the high spots with some sandpaper and move on to something else.

Water heaters get moved on Saturday and hope to get a good bit of framing done as well.

0783671beb069ee2a0caf4465643d797.jpg

d7e98ecb9b3d27bf938131d606e1489f.jpg

17aa12f4955f6f9ca9557378dfec8239.jpg

That rolling knee pad is great... wish I had one of those a couple weeks ago when I put down my carpet tiles in my new pool room... This thread has me super tempted to make a build thread of my own... depends on how busy work is today maybe...

Thank you very much for sharing your journey! I know all the feelings you're going through right now and they are mostly awesome with a hint of anxiety thrown in from time to time. Well done sir!

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
See what happens when you have a deadline, you're on fire!

runout1961

Silver Member
Very good sir!

Thank you sir!

That rolling knee pad is great... wish I had one of those a couple weeks ago when I put down my carpet tiles in my new pool room... This thread has me super tempted to make a build thread of my own... depends on how busy work is today maybe...

Thank you very much for sharing your journey! I know all the feelings you're going through right now and they are mostly awesome with a hint of anxiety thrown in from time to time. Well done sir!

You are very welcome sir. The rolling knee pad would have been awesome for those carpet tiles. How did that work out for you? We’re undecided as of now about the flooring down there.

See what happens when you have a deadline, you're on fire!

Yes sir! Setting a deadline for myself certainly didn’t help anything. At least there’s a targeted date set in place to really light a fire under my ass and try and get this done. We’ll see what happens.

runout1961

Silver Member
Lumber prices are insane right now. Figured I’d start with 50 boards and see how far that gets me with framing on Saturday. Yes, I’m framing the walls with 2x3’s. Trying to save every inch of space I can.
2289fc31676866f20b0033fb7f7a8f22.jpg

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Lumber prices are insane right now. Figured I’d start with 50 boards and see how far that gets me with framing on Saturday. Yes, I’m framing the walls with 2x3’s. Trying to save every inch of space I can.
2289fc31676866f20b0033fb7f7a8f22.jpg

That's less scary than my day one.
4c4b8472d8954d6cb8dba48a4d39bfd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

runout1961

Silver Member
That's less scary than my day one.
4c4b8472d8954d6cb8dba48a4d39bfd7.jpg

Day one was over a months ago but I hear ya. That was a good haul of yours. Can’t believe how high lumber has gone up. Crazy times.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I started my room in January. I watched prices increase weekly, on occasion daily. It was crazy! The carpet tiles came out amazing! I can't speak for longevity yet, but ease of use and looks are fantastic.

Sneak preview...
78fd89a9bfb09cd667e3e23167204eb8.jpg

runout1961

Silver Member
I started my room in January. I watched prices increase weekly, on occasion daily. It was crazy! The carpet tiles came out amazing! I can't speak for longevity yet, but ease of use and looks are fantastic.

Sneak preview...

That looks awesome! Nice job. Would you mind sharing where you got those?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sneak preview...
The floor looks good. Did you run out of money and will now be playing pool on the floor instead of a table?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
The floor looks good. Did you run out of money and will now be playing pool on the floor instead of a table?
Definitely running out of money!

I did try hitting some balls on the carpet but the balls caught the grooves in the carpet and roll WAY OFF haha... and get super dirty immediately, so that only lasted a few seconds

runout1961

Silver Member
I did a terrible job at this first section of 2” foam board insulation. Looks horrible. I’m very detail oriented and if these boards weren’t $30 a piece, I’d rip it down and do it again. It’s almost 11:30 pm. I’ve been up since 4am. A hot knife would have worked much better. I’m done with it for tonight.

Two reasons why this doesn’t bother me as much as it normally would. 1) The two water heaters will be relocated right in front of those foam boards in the pic. 2) This area will be completely closed off tomorrow and act as a new utility closet. Not too worried about it. Just have to go back and fill in all the bare spots and run foil tape on the seams. I’ll do that first thing in the morning.

I’m also not worried about the boards falling over. Those temporary braces are there just to help the foam board adhesive cure a little over night. Then I’ll add braces at the top and bottom to ensure they never fall forward towards the water heaters.

04970bae3aaf359986c10c3b70a077bd.jpg

Last edited:

runout1961

Silver Member
Murphy came to play. For some reason, they didn’t have a shutoff going from the water well to the addition side water heater. Cut the line and immediately flooded out. Freezing cold water dumping all over us until we were able to jam a shark bite shut off valve on the line. We were soaked. Like just jumped in the pool soaked. Water everywhere. There was no way around it. A shut off valve had to go on that line. All cleaned up and moving forward.
16749fa429f4f4fecdf056ffb68d9697.jpg

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Day one was over a months ago but I hear ya. That was a good haul of yours. Can’t believe how high lumber has gone up. Crazy times.

Yeah, I meant day 1 of walls...the cleanout and such took the 9 months prior. I did mine a good 3 years ago and soent a crazy sum of cash but I did get what now looks like bargain lumber prices.

d259109d9a9031d00e34503f55596ae5.jpg

Last edited:

runout1961

Silver Member
Yeah, I meant day 1 of walls...the cleanout and such took the 9 months prior.

I hear ya. Demo was the worst part. Definitely the most work for sure.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Murphy came to play. For some reason, they didn’t have a shutoff going from the water well to the addition side water heater. Cut the line and immediately flooded out. Freezing cold water dumping all over us until we were able to jam a shark bite shut off valve on the line. We were soaked. Like just jumped in the pool soaked. Water everywhere. There was no way around it. A shut off valve had to go on that line. All cleaned up and moving forward.
16749fa429f4f4fecdf056ffb68d9697.jpg

Son of a...

Hate that for ya man!

Thanks for the updates though.